Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 05:04 PM

63,035 posts, read 29,235,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn90 View Post
The real problem is the granting of citizenship to people born on this soil as a birthright - that's what needs to be changed, ASAP, but it'll probably require a constitutional amendment to do so.
I agree but it won't require a constitutional amendment just a re-visit by the SC to determine what the intent of birthright citizenship actually was by the writers of the 14th. Too many politicians especially on the left have a vested interest in not doing so because they won't like the results of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn90 View Post
The real problem is the granting of citizenship to people born on this soil as a birthright - that's what needs to be changed, ASAP, but it'll probably require a constitutional amendment to do so.
True, however unless it were made retroactive to say 1986 it won't help us. Not that I am for any kind of retroactive laws. As it stands Anchor babies are in fact recognized as legal citizens.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
True, however unless it were made retroactive to say 1986 it won't help us. Not that I am for any kind of retroactive laws. As it stands Anchor babies are in fact recognized as legal citizens.
Cutting off any new kids born in the US to 2 illegal alien parents would chase off many illegal aliens right there.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,853,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree but it won't require a constitutional amendment just a re-visit by the SC to determine what the intent of birthright citizenship actually was by the writers of the 14th. Too many politicians especially on the left have a vested interest in not doing so because they won't like the results of that.
An amendment is interpreted as what is properly ratified, not what an author may have intended. The U.S. Supreme Court weighs in once an actual case is able to reach their level by its merits, it isn't just a whim of policy. It's amazing to look over this thread, the membership here at C-D has changed a little bit for the participants.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times
As it stands the law allows it. Personally I am not for birth right citizenship. I also think that we can take some ideas that other countries put into law.
You want to immigrate to the USA? Better be able to show that you have the financial means to live here.
Non-native citizens can not hold a civil service job, elected office or own property. ( you can lease for up to 30 years)
Must check in to an immigration office every 3 months to reverify your financial status.
Visa overstays result in huge fines and possible deportation.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
As it stands the law allows it. Personally I am not for birth right citizenship. I also think that we can take some ideas that other countries put into law.
You want to immigrate to the USA? Better be able to show that you have the financial means to live here.
Non-native citizens can not hold a civil service job, elected office or own property. ( you can lease for up to 30 years)
Must check in to an immigration office every 3 months to reverify your financial status.
Visa overstays result in huge fines and possible deportation.
Agreed but a person who gets US citizenship should be allowed to own property; legal aliens not so much.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,853,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed but a person who gets US citizenship should be allowed to own property; legal aliens not so much.
That threw me too, as a general basis in a country there shouldn't be any differences between citizens (the "Equal Protection Clause", which is another part of the 14th Amendment). I've seen it raised on the forum that immigrants should not be able to sponsor other immigrants after they naturalize. My counter was that my youngest stepdaughter came here at age 8, she might even find a spouse that wouldn't even be from her home country.

Legal Permanent Residents generally have the same rights as U.S. citizens here (including gun ownership), without the ability to vote, have jury duty, or most elected offices...

Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 AM

63,035 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be made retroactive I am sure but yes the changes that have taken place in our culture due to birthright citizenship being assumed for children born from illegal alien parents for decades is permanent. However, we can prevent further dilution of our culture in this manner and it would save us mega bucks in taxes because as non-citizens we would no longer have to provide welfare benefits to them. It would also deter further illegal immigration where the attraction and motivation is to give birth on our soil to tap into our tax coffers. It is one of the incentives that brings them.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 AM

411 posts, read 902,216 times
just need to fix the loophole.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,954,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Cutting off any new kids born in the US to 2 illegal alien parents would chase off many illegal aliens right there.
how would you accomplish that...push the baby back in??? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration