Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM

387 posts, read 337,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I am so in agreement with you. Every time I go over to that board I get sick to my stomach. They are so corrupt, selfish and delusional it's breathtaking. When you're raised by criminal parents it's pretty much a given that the apple won't fall far from the tree.

getting other visas - DREAM Act Portal Forum
Did you read your cite? There is much discussion about other ways of handling it and the down side of the risk being taken. Not bad actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Mitt Romney says he would veto DREAM Act - latimes.com

This is the direction the US is thankfully going on !!!

This Dreamie BS will end soon.
He also said that he thinks it is great that people can get a path to citizenship if they serve in the military. He agrees with that part of the Dream Act. So, he really isn't against it.

I personally don't like any part of it and I don't understand why people think it is OK for a an illegal immigrant to be here as long as they "serve" in our military.

The military is different for everyone. I have family in the military and respect everyone who wears the uniform. However, I know that people join the military for different reasons. I personally know this to be true. There are people who join just so they can get education-assistance while in the military or after the military. There are people who join the military because they want a free trip around-the-world to do all the traveling that they always wanted to do. Then, there are even people who join the military because they want the thrill of using weapons. Many people join the military just to get something out of it for themselves and illegal immigrants definitely will be no exception. Of course, there are many who DO join to serve their country and out of concern for defending the nation. As the saying always goes: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Illegal immigrants definitely won't have that quote in mind.

So, to me, just because you join the military doesn't mean you have some allegiance to the United States and that is what people were trying to say that the illegal immigrants are showing if they join the military. No, many will do it just to do their quick 2 years (that's what they are asking for within the Dream Act), get out and then apply for amnesty. That's a pretty nice deal for them, if you ask me.

Now, if the current state of the military in the U.S. remains the same then I will give them credit for putting their life on the line because that is what many do when they are deployed to a place like Afghanistan.

So, I think there should be tighter requirements for the Dream Act. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to just serve some cushy 2-year military term and then get blessed with such a tremendous gift as U.S. citizenship. That's wrong and unfair to the legal immigrants. Now, if they were all becoming Navy Seals or some Army Ranger and doing some serious grunt work to take out foreign enemies in hostile environments, then, yeah, I'm thinking they have more reason to be eligible for a shot at citizenship. But, a lot of military jobs aren't really difficult, particularly when one gets to remain in the safety of a U.S. base.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
He also said that he thinks it is great that people can get a path to citizenship if they serve in the military. He agrees with that part of the Dream Act. So, he really isn't against it.

I personally don't like any part of it and I don't understand why people think it is OK for a an illegal immigrant to be here as long as they "serve" in our military.

The military is different for everyone. I have family in the military and respect everyone who wears the uniform. However, I know that people join the military for different reasons. I personally know this to be true. There are people who join just so they can get education-assistance while in the military or after the military. There are people who join the military because they want a free trip around-the-world to do all the traveling that they always wanted to do. Then, there are even people who join the military because they want the thrill of using weapons. Many people join the military just to get something out of it for themselves and illegal immigrants definitely will be no exception. Of course, there are many who DO join to serve their country and out of concern for defending the nation. As the saying always goes: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Illegal immigrants definitely won't have that quote in mind.

So, to me, just because you join the military doesn't mean you have some allegiance to the United States and that is what people were trying to say that the illegal immigrants are showing if they join the military. No, many will do it just to do their quick 2 years (that's what they are asking for within the Dream Act), get out and then apply for amnesty. That's a pretty nice deal for them, if you ask me.

Now, if the current state of the military in the U.S. remains the same then I will give them credit for putting their life on the line because that is what many do when they are deployed to a place like Afghanistan.

So, I think there should be tighter requirements for the Dream Act. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to just serve some cushy 2-year military term and then get blessed with such a tremendous gift as U.S. citizenship. That's wrong and unfair to the legal immigrants. Now, if they were all becoming Navy Seals or some Army Ranger and doing some serious grunt work to take out foreign enemies in hostile environments, then, yeah, I'm thinking they have more reason to be eligible for a shot at citizenship. But, a lot of military jobs aren't really difficult, particularly when one gets to remain in the safety of a U.S. base.
Excellent post SoEdible, and I totally agree.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
He said "children of illegal immigrants", as in ones that have been here. It would not cover people that cross the border to enlist.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
He said "children of illegal immigrants", as in ones that have been here. It would not cover people that cross the border to enlist.
I think we know that, however the Dream Act is about legalizing adults already here wanting to go to college or to be able to enlist in our military. I consider anyone over 17 to be an adult, not a child.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Did you read your cite? There is much discussion about other ways of handling it and the down side of the risk being taken. Not bad actually.
Yes I read it. Did you? If you read various posts throughout that website it is wrought with a multitude of personal stories involving their criminal activity past and present. At the end of the day, they are illegal alien criminals who by their own admission are determined to lie, steal, cheat, marry or do whatever it takes to remain in this country. It doesn't get any more selfish, narcissistic and pathetic than that.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think we know that, however the Dream Act is about legalizing adults already here wanting to go to college or to be able to enlist in our military. I consider anyone over 17 to be an adult, not a child.
As well as a large number of still young children who will take advantage of the program as they graduate high school.

There certainly would be an initial flurry. Then it would be a smaller number each year. I would guess it gets very small in about 15 years.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Yes I read it. Did you? If you read various posts throughout that website it is wrought with a multitude of personal stories involving their criminal activity past and present. At the end of the day, they are illegal alien criminals who by their own admission are determined to lie, steal, cheat, marry or do whatever it takes to remain in this country. It doesn't get any more selfish, narcissistic and pathetic than that.
And it was also filled with numerous people counciling much more acceptable paths.

You apparently see only the ones you wish to see.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
So you are not voting for illegal lover Romney?
Situations change. Not so long ago Sheriff Joe here in Arizona didn't care much about illegals; he does now. Maybe Mitt Romney had HIS wakeup call from the American people.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Seriously, I have seen years ago military soldiers who did not speak English and they were being processed through the Army confinement facility. That was not a good situation. So, basic training would include English As A Second Language? No, they don't belong in OUR country and they surely don't belong in OUR military. Do you really want our soldiers next to someone that is there simply because this is the way for them to become legal? What an insane idea! If the military is involved at all, it should OUR citizens protecting OUR border from further invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration