Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times

Advertisements

Save Felipe's Family! Father Deported - Kids Taken Away - YouTube

According to a 2011 report from the Applied Research Center, approximately 5,100 children in 22 states were in foster care when their parents were deported.

Quote:
The report — based on surveys with child welfare caseworkers, attorneys, judges and immigrants — concludes that immigration officers often refuse to allow parents to make arrangements for their children. Once in ICE custody, parents are often denied access to family court hearings, phones and attorneys. Many don't even know what happened to their children.

"Once parents are deported, they're considered fallen off the face of the earth," said Seth Wessler, the report's principal investigator. "Family reunification tends to go out the door."
N.C. deportation case highlights child welfare maze (with video) - news-herald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
I'd like to hear the other side of this story. Apparently his wife is a U.S. citizen. Are his kids also U.S. citizens? Why are they in protective services rather than the mother caring for them here?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
According to a 2011 report from the Applied Research Center, approximately 5,100 children in 22 states were in foster care when their parents were deported.
Do you know, or even care, what happens to the children of U.S. citizens when their parents are sent to prison, sometimes for 15, 20 years, or even life? Should we end all lengthy prison sentences for the sake of their children? Sorry, but when adults choose to live outside the law, they must suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, that includes being separated from their families, and often results in their children being placed with relatives or foster care. Perhaps parents should show more concern for their children and not violate our laws. At least this man has the option of eventually having his children join him, which incarcerated U.S. citizens do not.

Obviously, he could have avoided deportation had he bothered to legalize his status. He chose not to. So, he can only blame himself for his dilemma.

Quote:
The marriage made him eligible for legal immigration status, but he didn't undertake the lengthy, expensive process.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I'd like to hear the other side of this story. Apparently his wife is a U.S. citizen. Are his kids also U.S. citizens? Why are they in protective services rather than the mother caring for them here?
According to the link, she is mentally-ill.
Quote:
When immigration agents deported Felipe Montes to Mexico two years ago, his three young sons were left in the care of their mentally ill, American-born mother in a small North Carolina mountain town.
This must be one of those jobs that citizens don't want to do
Quote:
While he worked at a landscaping company, his wife stayed at home.
while mom sits at home collecting federal disability
Quote:
Drew Jackson, the court-appointed lawyer for the wife, said 31-year-old Marie Montes collects federal disability for a mental illness that prevents her from working. He declined to say what her diagnosis is.
wonder why they won't state what she has? With those 3 children she should be collecting more then simple federal disability. They were behind on their bills
Quote:
Two weeks after Montes' deportation, social workers took the children after his wife's electricity and heat were cut off.
This usually takes being behind by more than 2 months, yet it happened within 2 weeks. Was the money being sent back to Mexico as remittances?

Should NC be arguing?
Quote:
Alleghany County questioned why authorities would ever "exile" children to a foreign country when they can stay.
Efforts have shifted to terminating his parental rights — the main barrier to reunification with the children being Montes' current residence in another country, according to court documents. Legal experts say that once U.S.-born children of immigrants are in the child welfare system, the agencies often refuse to send them to live with deported parents in other countries.
The father still has the right to have custody of his children, the state is getting involved where it should not. I think the following would be the ideal situation
Quote:
Marie's lawyer said the mother also supports sending the kids to their father, and she hopes to join them and reunite with her husband.
The state has no business removing the children or terminating parental rights of either parent.

Quote:
A family court hearing is set for April 5.

"I don't know what the judge will decide, but I'm hoping for the best," Felipe Montes said. "I hope I can have my children back."
I hope he and his wife reunite and regain custody of their children.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
"The Kids should have known their dad was illegal and started looking for a new home before going to school that day"

-anti-illegals

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM

After having read the article and this statement "Child welfare officials are now asking a judge to strip Montes of his parental rights, reasoning it's better for the children to live with strangers in the country where they were born than with their father in Mexico. Such a ruling could clear the way for their adoption", I have to conclude that I will side with the father on this. The mother is mentally ill and incapable of caring for them, therefore the father shoud have the right to raise them in Mexico. I do question however why this father would continue to father kids by a mentally unstable mother.

A case could be argued that the father is unfit because he violated our immigration and labor laws and therefore indicates an unsavory character. But in the end if he has been a loving father otherwise I still think they should join him in Mexico. Mexico recognizes dual citizenship.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
I think what the OP meant to say was that (SOME) illegals want to take their children home with them.
I am sure thats true.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
"The Kids should have known their dad was illegal and started looking for a new home before going to school that day"

-anti-illegals
"Giving birth on American soil should entitle anyone to break all American immigration laws." - pro-illegals.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

-anti-illegals
Mach 50, what the kids should have done if they knew that thier dad was an illegal was:
1. Call ICE
2. Ask thier dad why he is such a criminal scum bag.
3. Wear a bag over thier heads in shame.
There these statements are about as true as yours.
Why does the pro side attempt to deflect? Illegals should be held accountable for their crimes just as any other criminal is.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think what the OP meant to say was that (SOME) illegals want to take their children home with them.
I am sure thats true.
Exactly! I don't think this was a "typical" case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration