Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
so what law are they breaking?
What the person was trying to say is that if you are here ilegally you cannot assume the rights of a citizen because you are not a citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
What the person was trying to say is that if you are here ilegally you cannot assume the rights of a citizen because you are not a citizen.
but our constitution also says all men are created equal. therefore, they should have equal rights.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:39 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
but our constitution also says all men are created equal. therefore, they should have equal rights.
constitution for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Not the UNITED STATES OF ANYONE WHO WANTS IT

Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
constitution for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Not the UNITED STATES OF ANYONE WHO WANTS IT
Quote:
The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

This is posted on the Statue of Liberty.
The New Colossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
This is posted on the Statue of Liberty.
The New Colossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nowhere does it say, come illegally and drain and use and disrespect us. You wanna come, do it legally, then you can breathe free. And wasnt that given to us by the French?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Nowhere does it say, come illegally and drain and use and disrespect us. You wanna come, do it legally, then you can breathe free. And wasnt that given to us by the French?
Yes it was given to us by the French and maybe they used a seer. Could it be time to knock it down?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Yes it was given to us by the French and maybe they used a seer. Could it be time to knock it down?
I have to chuckle at the anti French sentiment:

More Americans were killed by the Germans and Japanese during WW II than ever died at the hands of the French yet there is significantly less hostility towards the first two groups.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have to chuckle at the anti French sentiment:

More Americans were killed by the Germans and Japanese during WW II than ever died at the hands of the French yet there is significantly less hostility towards the first two groups.
Being that my grandparents and father came over from Germany in 1940 to avoid camps for hiding Jewish people, I will try to ignore that part of your statement as I would rather not get into it.
But the French from my knowledge and visit do not like us, and have no issue stating that fact. So no love loss.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The Colussus Poem was written by an American, not the French.

Emma Lazarus (July 22, 1849 – November 19, 1887) was an American poet born in New York City.

She is best known for writing "The New Colossus", a sonnet written in 1883, that is now engraved on a bronze plaque on a wall in the base of the Statue of Liberty. The sonnet was solicited by William Maxwell Evarts as a donation to an auction, conducted by the "Art Loan Fund Exhibition in Aid of the Bartholdi Pedestal Fund for the Statue of Liberty" to raise funds to build the pedestal [1] [2].

Emma Lazarus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
I do believe that nearly 1/3 of all US soldiers who fought against Germany in World War II were of German descent. German Americans were very supportive of the US in both World Wars and America would not have prevailed without them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration