Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times

Advertisements

You Don't Speak for Me! (http://www.dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)

OUR STORY

You Don't Speak for Me formed when Col. Al Rodriguez became fed up watching media coverage of the mass protests of April. "Their leaders were saying it was a march for immigrant rights and a Latino/Hispanic movement," says Rodriguez. "I thought to myself, 'Hey, those are illegal aliens, not immigrants!'" Col. Rodriguez began speaking out to others saying, "I'm of Hispanic ancestry and those people are acting like they speak for me. Well, you don't speak for me!"

Our Principles
We are Americans of Hispanic heritage who believe in America. We believe in the governmental institutions and laws that make this country the greatest in the world. It is because of this strong belief in the principles of freedom, individual liberties, the rule of law, and democracy that we formed You Don't Speak for Me!: American Hispanic Voices Speaking Out Against Illegal Immigration.

This group represents the immigrants we welcome. Those that respect our laws and respect America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,391 times
Our Principles
Quote:
We are Americans of Hispanic heritage who believe in America. We believe in the governmental institutions and laws that make this country the greatest in the world. It is because of this strong belief in the principles of freedom, individual liberties, the rule of law, and democracy that we formed You Don't Speak for Me!: American Hispanic Voices Speaking Out Against Illegal Immigration.
I live in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood in Alburquerque, My Land Lords are Hispanic, the neighborhood, is old, in fact very near Old Town, is well kept and pride is shown in all properties, Your statement above is what I hear from all my close neighbors and my Land Lords. Also from my Grand SIL who is Hispanic. They have for the most part come from families with a long history of US citizenship most were born and raised in NM as were their parents, a few are fairly recent US citizens they all have problems with illegals in our country. Not all illegals come from Mexico, but I believe most come through Mexico to get here.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Our Principles

I live in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood in Alburquerque, My Land Lords are Hispanic, the neighborhood, is old, in fact very near Old Town, is well kept and pride is shown in all properties, Your statement above is what I hear from all my close neighbors and my Land Lords. Also from my Grand SIL who is Hispanic. They have for the most part come from families with a long history of US citizenship most were born and raised in NM as were their parents, a few are fairly recent US citizens they all have problems with illegals in our country. Not all illegals come from Mexico, but I believe most come through Mexico to get here.
As you alluded to; your neighbors are American.

Besides; you being of at least part American Indian ancestry, many of the Latinos may consider you to be one of their 'own' hence watching your back.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 AM

457 posts, read 431,581 times
Thank you for posting this! It's very important that we all remember that the term "American" does not discriminate; All American citizens regardless of color or nationality or whether somebody is a natural-born or came through the legal immigration process are entitled to the same rights.

It becomes too easy for some people to judge "how American" somebody is or isn't based on "racial profiling".

Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
You Don't Speak for Me! (http://www.dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)

OUR STORY

You Don't Speak for Me formed when Col. Al Rodriguez became fed up watching media coverage of the mass protests of April. "Their leaders were saying it was a march for immigrant rights and a Latino/Hispanic movement," says Rodriguez. "I thought to myself, 'Hey, those are illegal aliens, not immigrants!'" Col. Rodriguez began speaking out to others saying, "I'm of Hispanic ancestry and those people are acting like they speak for me. Well, you don't speak for me!"

Our Principles

This group represents the immigrants we welcome. Those that respect our laws and respect America.
Yahoo! Now that's what we are talking about. An American!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Besides; you being of at least part American Indian ancestry, many of the Latinos may consider you to be one of their 'own' hence watching your back.

Perhaps, but the truth is I am of mixed blood, belonging to the Choctaw tribe of Oklahoma, on my dad's side (also English). His father was just a child when his parents were forced to migrate to Indian Territory on the Trail of Tears. My mother was Cherokee and Scott Mom's ancestors were also a paart of the Trail of Tears. However I more resemble my ancestors who came here (legally) from England and Scotland in the 1600's. So I doubt if many of my neighbors besides my Land Lords, who are also family friends, realize that I am more Indain than any other nationality. I do not consider myself an immagrant, but Some of my ancestors were.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM

447 posts, read 798,311 times
if i could, i would like to add to choctaw2 's response...
i am her daughter, and very proud of my heritage,when people around us learn that we are of native american blood, there is always a reaction of surprise....i am blond, with green eyes, and do not "look" like i am indian, yet, i do have native blood.
so maybe there is a chance that the hispanics she knows do in a sense have her back because of the "brotherhood"....but i doubt that...
what i think is : people have her back because they see a compassionate and genuinely good person.

and she is saying the turth about how these hispanic friends and family of ours feel about illegal immigration...they are angry and frustrated , too.
just as the man who was quoted in the op.

true americans who want their country back.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks Viv, If we all do our part by contacting everyone we can, letting the Powers That Be know how We the People feel, we can't lose because we have fought a good battle and made our voices heard. With States like Oklahoma and a few others taking a stand we are making steps in the right direction, IMO we are going to get through this together, (not just you and me) but everyone here.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 AM

537 posts, read 441,466 times
I am half Apache and glad to meet other American Indians who are fed up with illegals.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I am half Apache and glad to meet other American Indians who are fed up with illegals.

I'm glad to meet you too. We who are mixed race occasionaally find racisim in our own Indian culture from those who are full blood American Indian I found out awhile back. I joined a Choctaw forum and as soon as I mentioned my mixed blood I was immediately attacked and treated as if I was an illegal alien by most on the board, not all but enough to know that I wasn't really welcomed by them. Kinda strange feeling when the Chief himself sent my husband a beautiful certificate claiming him to be an Honorary Member of the Choctaw Tribe after we met him out in CA. Sorry everyone....kinda off subject and I apoligize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration