Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why should it ever be considered "unwarranted" to pay attention to people who violate our laws? Isn't that the purpose of law enforcement? I don't understand your objection.
There are people who are technically not breaking the law but who in fact are flushing the country down the toilet. The speculators who have wrought havoc on our markets cost Americans about $20 trillion in lost wealth in the span of about 18 months...I'm concerned about illegal immigration but it's down on my priority list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
There's never going to be an end to illegal immigration. This problem cannot be stopped, it can only be controlled. This country was founded by people who took extreme risks to get across the Atlantic and to cross the Continental Divide, so in that regard, I think illegal immigrants actually have a lot in common with us, regardless of whether they have legally recognized status in this country.

What I mean by scapegoating, though, is this assumption that illegals are taking away American jobs and destroying the economy, which is nonsense. The economy was destroyed by excess lending and bad borrowing, not illegals. I certainly agree that illegals put a strain on public resources in some communities, and that's something that needs to be addressed. But beyond that, I think the damage caused by illegals is questionable. That can be debated, I suppose, but I'm going to just sidestep that debate and agree to disagree with those who typically visit this forum.
I think we all know that illegal immigration will never be completely stopped but the goal should be to curb it as much as possible. Granting them amnesty again will only encourage the next batch to come for the next amnesty. It will do nothing to curb it. Your historical story has nothing to do with illegal immigration today. Most immigrants back then came here legally. Please explain what you mean that we have something in common with illegal immigrants. Most Americans never were immigrants they were born here as citizens and their ancestors came here legally also. So where is the comparison? The trip over here? Not much of a comparison to make for an argument to justify illegal immigration in my book.

It is nonsense that illegal immigrants are taking American jobs? If they aren't taking American jobs than whose jobs are they taking? Our economy has been destroyed by a few things one of them is illegal immigration. Why would you want to eliminate them from the equasion? There have been so many viable stats posted in here on the costs associated with illegal immigrants that it isn't questionable at all that they have an overall negative impact on our nation. Common sense should tell you that anything unlawful is never a good thing.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
There's never going to be an end to illegal immigration. This problem cannot be stopped, it can only be controlled. This country was founded by people who took extreme risks to get across the Atlantic and to cross the Continental Divide, so in that regard, I think illegal immigrants actually have a lot in common with us, regardless of whether they have legally recognized status in this country.

What I mean by scapegoating, though, is this assumption that illegals are taking away American jobs and destroying the economy, which is nonsense. The economy was destroyed by excess lending and bad borrowing, not illegals. I certainly agree that illegals put a strain on public resources in some communities, and that's something that needs to be addressed. But beyond that, I think the damage caused by illegals is questionable. That can be debated, I suppose, but I'm going to just sidestep that debate and agree to disagree with those who typically visit this forum.
I have a feeling you'll change your opinion in a few years. We have no idea what this will cost. But, it will be staggering, to say the least.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
There are people who are technically not breaking the law but who in fact are flushing the country down the toilet. The speculators who have wrought havoc on our markets cost Americans about $20 trillion in lost wealth in the span of about 18 months...I'm concerned about illegal immigration but it's down on my priority list.
How are illegal aliens "technically" not breaking the law? We can account for that $20 trillion. Sadly, we have no idea the true magnitude of our past, present, or future costs related to illegal immigration. We will soon implode.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How are illegal aliens "technically" not breaking the law? We can account for that $20 trillion. Sadly, we have no idea the true magnitude of our past, present, or future costs related to illegal immigration. We will soon implode.
Puhlease.

Illegal immigration is merely the definition of a status. I'm not saying illegal immigration doesn't have consequences, but let's not be dramatic. We've had mass migration before, and chances are your own forebears were part of those migrations at one time or another.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think we all know that illegal immigration will never be completely stopped but the goal should be to curb it as much as possible. Granting them amnesty again will only encourage the next batch to come for the next amnesty. It will do nothing to curb it. Your historical story has nothing to do with illegal immigration today. Most immigrants back then came here legally. Please explain what you mean that we have something in common with illegal immigrants. Most Americans never were immigrants they were born here as citizens and their ancestors came here legally also. So where is the comparison? The trip over here? Not much of a comparison to make for an argument to justify illegal immigration in my book.

It is nonsense that illegal immigrants are taking American jobs? If they aren't taking American jobs than whose jobs are they taking? Our economy has been destroyed by a few things one of them is illegal immigration. Why would you want to eliminate them from the equasion? There have been so many viable stats posted in here on the costs associated with illegal immigrants that it isn't questionable at all that they have an overall negative impact on our nation. Common sense should tell you that anything unlawful is never a good thing.
Anything unlawful? Some cities have laws against women driving a car in a petticoat - seriously, laws are sometimes just nonsense.

Illegals are probably just taking jobs that Americans don't want or can't do very well. The bureaucracy that is the federal government just can't process their paperwork quickly enough, or the minimum wage laws don't take into account the costs that it takes for specific industries to operate a business.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Puhlease.

Illegal immigration is merely the definition of a status. I'm not saying illegal immigration doesn't have consequences, but let's not be dramatic. We've had mass migration before, and chances are your own forebears were part of those migrations at one time or another.
Merely a definition of a status? Are you suggesting their lawlessness is inconsequential? Do our laws mean nothing?

Yes, we have had mass immigration before, during a period when we needed immigrants. But, this level of massive illegal immigration is unprecedented. And, we certainly don't need millions of uneducated, low-skilled people. We already have more than enough. No drama, just facts.

None of my family entered this country illegally. In fact, the majority were born here, the exception being my two maternal great-grandparents who entered through Ellis Island by the authority of the U.S. Government. Prior to that, my ancestors arrived hundreds of years ago on slave ships, and even their offspring were born here. So, the only "immigrants" were the original slaves and two great-grandparents, none of which is even remotely related to illegal immigration.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Anything unlawful? Some cities have laws against women driving a car in a petticoat - seriously, laws are sometimes just nonsense.

Illegals are probably just taking jobs that Americans don't want or can't do very well. The bureaucracy that is the federal government just can't process their paperwork quickly enough, or the minimum wage laws don't take into account the costs that it takes for specific industries to operate a business.
Nonsense. That pro-amnesty myth has been debunked so many times it would bore me to elaborate. Google, if you honestly don't know the truth.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the discussion continues I'd like to remind everybody to remain calm and respectful.
Yac.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Yes, sometimes laws are but how are our immigration laws nonsense? Please, I are you saying that Americans won't do and never have done construction work, hospitality work, restaurant work and any number of blue-collar jobs in this country. You know better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration