Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i would like to ask the hispanic people in this forum, something i have been told by my hispanic friends...
they tell me that the spanish that they speak as american hispanics, as opposed to mexican hispanics is a different dialect...that they do not understand completely what the mexican is saying.
do you also have a hard time translating?
curious minds would like to know.
There are a lot of words used in Spanish here in the US that are actually English words. A person in Mexico might not recognize this unless he'd had experience here...such as the word "marqueta" (market)--no such word---it's "mercado". "Carro" (car) is common, too. No such word, again. The Spanish word is "coche". There are many tiny "loncherias" here, but this is obviuosly a take-off on the English word "lunch" ("Almuerzo", I think, in correct Spanish)
Much "American" Spanish is based on English....Just as a lot of English used in the Southwest is actually a corruption of Spanish. Ever hear the word "Buckaroo"? A word for "cowboy", it's common in Nevada and SE Oregon--but it's really just the Anglo pronunciation of "Vaquero". Additionally, the Spanish used in other parts of Latin America differs widely in accent, and even in many terms, from Mexican Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,403 times
nobody should berate someone else for not knowing a language. people should encourage multi-lingualism.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
people should encourage multi-lingualism.
but also realize that english is the main and only language in 90% of the US.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM

537 posts, read 441,378 times
People fail to make the point that most Mexicans are monolingual themselves so telling America how bad we are for not speaking their language shows ignorance and a bigotry and nothing else. I, myself, speak three foreign languages quite well. That does not make be better than other Americans though.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
but also realize that english is the main and only language in 90% of the US.
thats just a stat. it has no bearing on spoken language as any sort of legal obligation. if people dont learn english, they can not communicate with "90%" of the US. thats their consequence. there is NO legal reprecussion or obligation.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
People fail to make the point that most Mexicans are monolingual themselves so telling America how bad we are for not speaking their language shows ignorance and a bigotry and nothing else. I, myself, speak three foreign languages quite well. That does not make be better than other Americans though.
i agree. people should not be obligated to learn spanish. the ones that advocate it are similar to the ones who advocate learning english: ignorant and biased.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes it seem very unfair.
i regret. it is sad that when people use the word racism and discrimination, they are talking about white guys doin stuff to other people, most all else is disregarded. your topic is one of the many things that got swept under the rug. good for you for mentioning it. its about fairness isn't it?
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
i agree. people should not be obligated to learn spanish. the ones that advocate it are similar to the ones who advocate learning english: ignorant and biased.
Au contraire there:

In the USA; English, not Spanish is the de facto language of the land.

Conversely; if I lived in Mexico, I would make damn sure to learn Spanish------and learn it properly. Translation: Mx owes me nothing if I spoke only English while living SOB.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Au contraire there:

In the USA; English, not Spanish is the de facto language of the land.

Conversely; if I lived in Mexico, I would make damn sure to learn Spanish------and learn it properly. Translation: Mx owes me nothing if I spoke only English while living SOB.
de facto. so what? there is no legal obligation. they deal with the non-legal consequences of not learning the language. and life goes on.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i would like to ask the hispanic people in this forum, something i have been told by my hispanic friends...
they tell me that the spanish that they speak as american hispanics, as opposed to mexican hispanics is a different dialect...that they do not understand completely what the mexican is saying.
do you also have a hard time translating?
curious minds would like to know.

Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish is like comparing British English and American English. Each with different words to reference different things and different accents. The Spain Spanish is really annoying.. With all the "THHHS". They spit on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration