Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:43 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

MOST ITAILIAN-AMERICANS dont speak italian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish is like comparing British English and American English. Each with different words to reference different things and different accents. The Spain Spanish is really annoying.. With all the "THHHS". They spit on you.
So when you take a Spanish class at a college, or when it's taught at grade schools (as my daughter's school does) what type of Spanish is it? I assumed it would be Spanish, as in from Spain. Are you saying there are different versions?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
So when you take a Spanish class at a college, or when it's taught at grade schools (as my daughter's school does) what type of Spanish is it? I assumed it would be Spanish, as in from Spain. Are you saying there are different versions?
Yep! Most Mexicans speak Spanglish. A Castillian Spaniard would have a tough time understanding your average illegal alien. Of course, many of the illegal aliens don't even speak Spanglish, so when their anchors get into our schools we have to teach them Spanish before we can teach them English before we can teach them ANYTHING ELSE.

And folks wonder why our schools suck wind...

Old 09-21-2008, 05:38 PM

164 posts, read 260,182 times
Quote:

If you speak spanish . You can understand every different group. Some words ,some terms are different but less of a difference between America and UK English.

If your from Mexico or Argentina you can undrerstand each other without any difficulty . Actually better than NJ vs S.Carolina English.

Your daughters basic Spanish works in every culture and Latin American country.

The so called non hispanic experts here .Experts only in their own minds would have you think Mexico spanish is like Amazon tribal language.

I can speak easily with any other Hispanic from any country .
Yes a few words are different no more so than saying CocaCola in USA and saying pop in UK.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
There are SLIGHT differences in the Spanish used in Spain (Europe)...in Latin America, and that used among Hispanic-Americans (much of which is corruptions of English words). If you have a reasonable command of the language, you'll be able to communicate...it's a little like US English vs British English vs Jamaican English vs Australian English...a FEW different words, a little confusion, but you CAN easily communicate.

There are ALSO many accents. The Spanish used in Mexico has a quite different accent than found in the Caribbean. Argentinian Spanish has a strong Italian accent...and so on. It's a little like Paul Hogan, Tony Soprano, and Paul McCartney having a conversation in English...differing accents and 'cadences', but everything understandable to all, with maybe an occasional question as to the meaning of a word or two...

Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Yep! Most Mexicans speak Spanglish. A Castillian Spaniard would have a tough time understanding your average illegal alien. Of course, many of the illegal aliens don't even speak Spanglish, so when their anchors get into our schools we have to teach them Spanish before we can teach them English before we can teach them ANYTHING ELSE.

And folks wonder why our schools suck wind...

lol most Mexicans do not speak Spanglish.
Maybe Mexican Americans living in America several generations removed .

You have no idea what your saying in most of your "culture expert" posts but you say it with conviction . Good for a laugh and those of us from Mexico find them ever so funny as so wrong.

Last edited by Bianca.G; 09-21-2008 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post

You have no idea what your saying in most of your "culture expert" posts but you say it with conviction . Good for a laugh and those of us from Mexico find them ever so funny as so wrong.
Well at least you speak english. To bad your pretty much without a clue otherwise.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I speak Spanish too, what is spoken here and in border areas is not Spanish. Not even close.

I should add, understand

Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well at least you speak english. To bad your pretty much without a clue otherwise.

lol . I have heavy Spanish accent but I write and read it.

It is a good idea to learn Spanish because after amnesty it will become the second language and in time equal to English .

Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post

I MEANT Mexican-American, but who gives a rip? The rest of what I posted is entirely true, so many children of illegals don't speak Spanish that our schools have to teach them THAT before they can teach them anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration