Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times

Advertisements

Broad-based support continues to grow across America for immigration reform which includes a 'path to citizenship,' according to a Public Religion Research Institute Survey. The survey results are consistent with other polling in the USA that I've seen.

Highlights of the survey results include:

Quote:
More than 8-in-10 Democrats (85%) and 7-in-10 independents (72%) support a path to citizenship with the mention of specific requirements that must be met by immigrants living in the country illegally, as do more than 6-in-10 (62%) Republicans.

Approximately 8-in-10 Catholics (78%) and religiously unaffiliated Americans (80%), as well as 64% of white mainline Protestants and 55% of white evangelical Protestants, support a path to citizenship with specific requirements.
Source: Survey | Republicans and Evangelicals Support a Path to Citizenship With Basic Requirements for Immigrants Living in Country Illegally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Broad-based support continues to grow across America for immigration reform which includes a 'path to citizenship,' according to a Public Religion Research Institute Survey. The survey results are consistent with other polling in the USA that I've seen.

Source: Survey | Republicans and Evangelicals Support a Path to Citizenship With Basic Requirements for Immigrants Living in Country Illegally
Majority of U.S. citizens say illegal immigrants should be deported | Reuters

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:

I guess they are using the same Anti-NRA polling.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:

It's wishful thinking on your part. Another smoke screen that magically appears now that the government is considering doing exactly what most citizens don't want them to do to appease Hispanics, and gain votes. The only people who might be supportive of immigration reform are new immigrants who want more of the their own people to move to our country. The vast majority of Americans believe there was nothing wrong with our already lenient immigration laws. The problem was that they were not being enforced.

Imagine for a moment the disgrace one must feel by immigrating. It's like admitting that your own country is inferior, and you must move to a new one; one with a different culture, a different language, where most of the people look different, and often think differently than you do. Immigration is like admitting that you own country is so awful you must leave it; then once these people become citizens, they criticize our country, and abuse it. Much of our prison population is foreign born inmates.

Allowing between 11-20 million illegal immigrants to stay here, will have catastrophic affects on this country. There is now way we can support, all these people, most of which have no education, do not speak our language, and will need subsidies. It has been proven approximately 58% of Mexican immigrants alone are on subsidies.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Imagine for a moment the disgrace one must feel by immigrating.
I suspect, after reading the entirety of your comments, that you're unaware of the history of the United States and of the contribution immigrants have made to our nation ... and of our American values. Unless you're the offspring of a Native American ... I'm left to assume you carey with you shame and disgrace due to the immigration to the USA by you and/or your ancestors.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
I suspect, after reading the entirety of your comments, that you're unaware of the history of the United States and of the contribution immigrants have made to our nation ... and of our American values. Unless you're the offspring of a Native American ... I'm left to assume you carey with you shame and disgrace due to the immigration to the USA by you and/or your ancestors.

And of course some of our ancestors who came to this Country with nothing in hand. Got flack back in those days, a lot of heat. Learned the language first of all took months and months, but with broken english, they found jobs. Working sometimes 3 jobs at a time, no lazy bums back then, these people believed in their own keep.
Worked hard, like the meaning and conept of working to earn your keep. But most of all, no matter how long and hard a deal it was, guess what, thye became citizens, and had pride and were proud of being Americans, and guess what, did not demand a gosh damn thing.

Yes they contributed a lot to this Country, with hard work and determination, and a work ethic that was passed down from generation to generation. Like most immigrants in those days who came to this Country for a completely better life, they came witn no intentions at all, to disgrace, because they actually believed in the concept of becoming citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Thirty percent of those polled think that most illegal immigrants, with some exceptions, should be deported, while 23 percent believe all illegal immigrants should be deported.

Only 5 percent believe all illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the United States legally, and 31 percent want most illegal immigrants to stay.

while 23 percent believe all illegal immigrants should be deported...note the word all

23 % is not a majority.

You are in deniel...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM

318 posts, read 566,984 times
I would be one of the people who support giving amnesty to the illegal aliens IN SOME CASES, so I am one of the people who support comprehensive immigration reform in the poll. But in reality I am strongly against giving amnesty to most of the illegals but that is not allowed in the poll. I suspect there is lots of people who feel like me but the poll is written poorly and does not allow for grey areas.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:

Lets look at the first two paragraphs of your link
Quote:
An innovative new survey using a controlled experiment, conducted by Public Religion Research Institute in partnership with The Brookings Institution, clarifies the impact of wording differences in recent public polling on immigration reform. The survey found that the inclusion of general or specific requirements that immigrants currently living in the country illegally must meet has a significant impact on support for a path to citizenship, especially among more conservative groups such as Republicans or white evangelical Protestants.

The survey experiment randomly divided the entire sample of respondents (n=2,018) into three demographically identical subgroups, and then asked each group slightly different versions of a question about a path to citizenship.
This is an experiment based on wording, not an actual poll. watafnmron

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Very unscientific poll. Even where I live, you don't really see this lust for open borders, unlimited immigration and rewarding every illegal with quick easy citizenship.

In fact I live where you can observe actual deportations and no one bats an eye. The INS van pulls up to a gate in the fence and the illegals get out and walk back into their own country. No one cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration