Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times

Advertisements

It says if you are not "subject to the jurisdiction of" - in other words, you don't live here, and your parents are not citizens. It was never meant for somebody to get a cab to Texas, have a baby (and get citizenship with all the benefits), and take a cab back to Mexico.

As far as many are concerned, it's a misinterpretation. How cheap do you want U.S. citizenship to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It says if you are not "subject to the jurisdiction of" - in other words, you don't live here, and your parents are not citizens. It was never meant for somebody to get a cab to Texas, have a baby (and get citizenship with all the benefits), and take a cab back to Mexico.

As far as many are concerned, it's a misinterpretation. How cheap do you want U.S. citizenship to be?
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

the babies are born here, and therefore subject to the jurisdiction. that is simple reading comprehension.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's not hypocritical at all, since you cannot compare the America of 150-200 years ago with the America of today. Back then, you either took care of yourself or you starved and/or froze to death.
a knowledge of history is the only way to stop us from making the same mistakes.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
a knowledge of history is the only way to stop us from making the same mistakes.
So you think not having open immigration is a mistake? Soooooooooo wrong.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
It's not hypocritical at all, since you cannot compare the America of 150-200 years ago with the America of today. Back then, you either took care of yourself or you starved and/or froze to death.
And what do you think? maybe what's wrong is the welfare state.

What about vanishing welfare benefits, then remove income tax and enable a higher sales tax which you automatically pay when you buy things? that way everybody would have to pay rich or poor, then new immigration laws could be enacted that would be fairer and would allow a lot of new immigrants to become part of America.

maybe that's the solution but what are your thoughts?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

the babies are born here, and therefore subject to the jurisdiction. that is simple reading comprehension.

You're not "subject to the jurisdiction" of Texas if you are "subject to the jurisdiction" of Mexico. "The State in which they reside" - they don't reside in Texas. Simple reading comprehension.

Let me ask you again - how cheap do you want American citizenship to be, when our soldiers fight for our freedom and the rights that we enjoy, the tax-paying citizens? What did my father fight for in WWII? NOT cheap citizenship.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So you think not having open immigration is a mistake? Soooooooooo wrong.
i believe we should have a free, streamlined process for immigration. screen for disease, do a criminal background check, and let them through. the cost and wait time are incentives for them to circumvent the system, even if theyre healthy and arent criminals.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
You're not "subject to the jurisdiction" of Texas if you are "subject to the jurisdiction" of Mexico. "The State in which they reside" - they don't reside in Texas. Simple reading comprehension.
which is why the parents arent considered citizens, the babies are.

Quote:
Let me ask you again - how cheap do you want American citizenship to be, when our soldiers fight for our freedom and the rights that we enjoy, the tax-paying citizens? What did my father fight for in WWII? NOT cheap citizenship.
i want it to be free. if our freedom is threatened, then people will defend it, including the immigrants. if we make it free for them to come over, they can pay taxes under their own identity as well.

as far as your father is concerned, he shouldve been fighting for freedom. neither the nazis or the japanese were threatening the cost of our citizenship.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
Quote:
i believe we should have a free, streamlined process for immigration. screen for disease, do a criminal background check, and let them through. the cost and wait time are incentives for them to circumvent the system, even if theyre healthy and arent criminals.
Ghost, I actually agree with you. The immigration process should be just that simple. But even then, once the quotas are filled, what shall we do with the people that come to the country illegally because they still do not want to wait in line?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
which is why the parents arent considered citizens, the babies are.

i want it to be free. if our freedom is threatened, then people will defend it, including the immigrants. if we make it free for them to come over, they can pay taxes under their own identity as well.

as far as your father is concerned, he shouldve been fighting for freedom. neither the nazis or the japanese were threatening the cost of our citizenship.
You got a lot of growin' up to do!! But, that's cool - so did we all. Germans and Japanese were not threatening the cost of our citizenship!! ROTFLMAO
They were taking over the world, my friend, if they could, and they may have if the U.S. didn't join England in the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration