Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times

Advertisements

Immigrants from various parts of the world no matter where they go they will always say they are from their country of origin. We cannot expect this immigrant to pick up English, leave his culture and jump into ours-- it does not work like that. Being a 1st generation myself, I find myself more into American culture than my Mexican background.

Sure, my parents are Mexican but I rarely speak Spanish to either of them. I speak to them in English and get Spanish responses. I know I should keep my Spanish but every day me Spanish is becoming worse to the point where I can only express basic lines and cannot maintain a professional conversation with someone. I believe it is either the 2nd Generation or the 3rd generation American who will adopt fully the American culture, but expecting for recent immigrants to drop their culture entirely and expect him/her to join ours is a really rude thing to do. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I think you should do your very best to keep your Spanish Pro. I wish I could speak Spanish. Maybe I will take some courses. KEEP YOUR SPANISH! It's a good thing.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think you should do your very best to keep your Spanish Pro. I wish I could speak Spanish. Maybe I will take some courses. KEEP YOUR SPANISH! It's a good thing.
Honestly, I'm really trying. Although, I'm not up to date with the current lingo. Nor am I allowed to speak it because my parents say its "Dirty". Like Guay for example. I go to Mexico every december so that helps me a bit, but I just can't speak professional Spanish. Why? My parents are from the RANCHO!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Immigrants from various parts of the world no matter where they go they will always say they are from their country of origin. We cannot expect this immigrant to pick up English, leave his culture and jump into ours-- it does not work like that. Being a 1st generation myself, I find myself more into American culture than my Mexican background.

Sure, my parents are Mexican but I rarely speak Spanish to either of them. I speak to them in English and get Spanish responses. I know I should keep my Spanish but every day me Spanish is becoming worse to the point where I can only express basic lines and cannot maintain a professional conversation with someone. I believe it is either the 2nd Generation or the 3rd generation American who will adopt fully the American culture, but expecting for recent immigrants to drop their culture entirely and expect him/her to join ours is a really rude thing to do. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.
Keep your spainsh by all means, but if you ever go to a Wal-mart in Hampton, Virginia just a heads up no one speaks spainsh there.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I'm really trying. Although, I'm not up to date with the current lingo. Nor am I allowed to speak it because my parents say its "Dirty". Like Guay for example. I go to Mexico every december so that helps me a bit, but I just can't speak professional Spanish. Why? My parents are from the RANCHO!
Wow. It's not "dirty" for sure. You are young, and you know two languages (your English is excellent, I commend you). Keep your language, and remember your heritage, it really is a good thing. I may be against illegal immigration, but I believe the Hispanic culture has alot to offer. Keep that part of you alive.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Take pics and post them here when you get back!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Wow. It's not "dirty" for sure. You are young, and you know two languages (your English is excellent, I commend you). Keep your language, and remember your heritage, it really is a good thing. I may be against illegal immigration, but I believe the Hispanic culture has alot to offer. Keep that part of you alive.
My parents consider terms like that dirty and uneducated. Not allowed to say them anywhere. And if I get the traditional Mexican-American tattoo, with the last name in the back in old english text, they are more than likely to flip out. With other 1st generations like myself, we speak Spanglish. We speak Spanglish in Mexico with our cousins who come with us. That might be the reason we are overcharged on so many things.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
In this we all agree, cultures are languages are life!!! keep the vibe alive!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
In this we all agree, cultures are languages are life!!! keep the vibe alive!!!
Ditto Tf. If I could rep you I would. And Pro, do whatever you can to maintain your connection to your cultural heritage. The good from all cultures is what makes this country great. I think you are a very intelligent person, although I disagree with you on some issues. But hey, if everyone agreed on everything, it would be a pretty boring world.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:55 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Ditto Tf. If I could rep you I would. And Pro, do whatever you can to maintain your connection to your cultural heritage. The good from all cultures is what makes this country great. I think you are a very intelligent person, although I disagree with you on some issues. But hey, if everyone agreed on everything, it would be a pretty boring world.
For sure my dear friend!! but even if we disagree, the positive vibe is strong huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration