Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a?
Man - Illegal sympathizer 9 9.18%
Woman - Illegal sympathizer 5 5.10%
Man - Anti illegal 41 41.84%
Woman - Anti illegal 35 35.71%
Man - Neutral 5 5.10%
Woman - Neutral 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Woman - Anti-Illegal

Old 11-29-2007, 06:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Man - Illegal sympathizer

Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
I gladly accept your vocabulary correction GH0ST, as I strive to communicate better in non-texting, unabbreviated prose on this forum, but unfortunately I cannot provide affidavits from a notary public online to what you claim is unsubstantiated. It is from my first hand observation as well as what you know you can "google" as easily as anyone can about Los Angeles, ground zero for illegal immigration in the U.S.

YES, illegals have spit in my personal face on many occasions, and I'm a benign, middle-aged female; YES illegals threw eggs at a non-Latino friend of mine waiting at a bus stop on the first day of the marches, and he heard from other acquaintances he wasn't alone; YES I heard my ambulance driver arguing with assorted hospital E.R's when I was hit ( and my car totalled) by an illegal, and all only E.R.'s left operating in my section of L.A. (so many closed by illegals overwhelming with non-recoverable costs) as to just where I could be taken; YES my neighborhood has experienced a huge increase in gang activities as much as presence based upon the increase in illegals' occupancy right here. And YES, my public school teacher husband confirms that 60 to 80 percent of L.A. schoolchildren have no access to the English language in their home environment (tv is foreign language), 100% in the case of his classroom.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
YES, illegals have spit in my personal face on many occasions, and I'm a benign, middle-aged female; YES illegals threw eggs at a non-Latino friend of mine waiting at a bus stop on the first day of the marches, and he heard from other acquaintances he wasn't alone; YES I heard my ambulance driver arguing with assorted hospital E.R's when I was hit ( and my car totalled) by an illegal, and all only E.R.'s left operating in my section of L.A. (so many closed by illegals overwhelming with non-recoverable costs) as to just where I could be taken; YES my neighborhood has experienced a huge increase in gang activities as much as presence based upon the increase in illegals' occupancy right here. And YES, my public school teacher husband confirms that 60 to 80 percent of L.A. schoolchildren have no access to the English language in their home environment (tv is foreign language), 100% in the case of his classroom.
here's the thing

spitting and throwing eggs is no good, but this is hardly the act or will of the entire class of people. it would be unfair to equate all white people with segregationalists or klansmen, although admittedly, the white race does have those bad apples (if you choose to view it from a racial perspective). it goes both ways.

people are involved in car accidents very often. many times with citizens. and often, those citizens are not insured. this isnt something exclusive to illegal immigrants, so i fail to see the point in bringing up the documentation status of the person who hit you. im sure it wasnt intentional.

hospital closures are a big deal, no doubt. but illegals are not the sole party responsible for non-recoverable costs. in 2005, 47 million americans (16% population) were uninsured (NCHC | Facts About Healthcare - Health Insurance Coverage (http://www.nchc.org/facts/coverage.shtml - broken link)). what do you think they did in emergency situations? this is a much bigger problem than illegal immigration. this is a problem with our nation's healthcare system, period. we should have both public (or non-profit, which i prefer) and private healthcare, so everyone can get the quality of treatment they can afford. you would have your hospitals, and it wouldnt cost you any more money. illegals receiving healthcare wouldnt cost you any more, either. that easily solves your complaint.

gang activity increases are POTENTIALLY tied to illegal occupancy. you do not know that for a fact. it is impossible to. it may be a shift in societal trends. the purchasing power of the dollar is way down, and the education system is in shambles. under those circumstances, gang activity tends to be more prominent. that is another POTENTIAL. its best not to scapegoat until you have all the facts.

america has no official language. it is not illegal to speak spanish. if we have more spanish speakers in the country, it is the job of the educational system to adapt to our needs. if we had language studies in primary school, we could all be bilingual and bridge these gaps. its the educational systems bureaucracy and inability to adapt to societal needs that has left many children behind, spanish and english speaking.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Female - Anti Illegal. My husband & I share the same computer, so he can't vote, but if he could, I would have him do it.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thus far, it appears that Travelling Fellas assumptions were correct about the gender thing. Travelling Fella, you have a pretty observant head on your shoulders.

As a general rule, females tend to read more, write more, post more. I still believe thats why females lead in the poll.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
As a general rule, females tend to read more, write more, post more. I still believe thats why females lead in the poll.
but only on the anti-illegal side. what explains the male dominance on the sympathizer side?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Male-Anti Illegal but VERY much PRO simplified immigration

Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,224 times
woman anti-illegal

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Man, anti-illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration