Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM

943 posts, read 1,199,058 times

Advertisements

"Undocumented immigrants lined up by the hundreds when San Francisco launched municipal ID cards in 2009 — providing a preview of what’s in store for New York City’s proposed program.

In San Francisco, where more than 10,000 people now have ID cards, applicants must show up in person, present identification (foreign passports and other documents are accepted) and proof of residency, such as a lease or utility bill.

Applicants pay between $5 and $15, depending on age, and are issued a photo ID on the spot.

San Francisco’s program mimics that of New Haven, Conn. — which in 2007 launched the first municipal ID program in the country and has issued about 15,000 cards.

Advocates said the New York program — announced by Mayor de Blasio on Monday — will provide government-issued ID cards to undocumented immigrants, the homeless and anyone else who has trouble getting official forms of identification.

The IDs are intended to make it easier for undocumented immigrants and other disenfranchised residents to open bank accounts, use the library, get access to health care and go into government buildings and public schools.

Opponents questioned why the city was treading on federal turf.

The Foundation for American Immigration Reform said ID cards “aid and abet illegal immigration” and maybe terrorism.

“New York was the target of the 9/11 terror attacks and [the feds] have said the ability of the hijackers to gain access to government-issued identification was instrumental in carrying out the attacks,” said FAIR spokesman Ira Mehlman, who questioned making ID more readily available." - NY POST

I think this is great news that NYC is taking the same approach has San Francisco on issuing municipal identification cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
This is not at all good news. At best, this is simply offering a reward to those who have chosen to break the law. At worst, it puts our national security at risk, as FAIR points out.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM

62,982 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
"Undocumented immigrants lined up by the hundreds when San Francisco launched municipal ID cards in 2009 — providing a preview of what’s in store for New York City’s proposed program.

In San Francisco, where more than 10,000 people now have ID cards, applicants must show up in person, present identification (foreign passports and other documents are accepted) and proof of residency, such as a lease or utility bill.

Applicants pay between $5 and $15, depending on age, and are issued a photo ID on the spot.

San Francisco’s program mimics that of New Haven, Conn. — which in 2007 launched the first municipal ID program in the country and has issued about 15,000 cards.

Advocates said the New York program — announced by Mayor de Blasio on Monday — will provide government-issued ID cards to undocumented immigrants, the homeless and anyone else who has trouble getting official forms of identification.

The IDs are intended to make it easier for undocumented immigrants and other disenfranchised residents to open bank accounts, use the library, get access to health care and go into government buildings and public schools.

Opponents questioned why the city was treading on federal turf.

The Foundation for American Immigration Reform said ID cards “aid and abet illegal immigration” and maybe terrorism.

“New York was the target of the 9/11 terror attacks and [the feds] have said the ability of the hijackers to gain access to government-issued identification was instrumental in carrying out the attacks,” said FAIR spokesman Ira Mehlman, who questioned making ID more readily available." - NY POST

I think this is great news that NYC is taking the same approach has San Francisco on issuing municipal identification cards.
What's the good news? I didn't read any good news for Americans by issuing ID's to illegal foreigners. You're quite the agitator in here, aren't you? Sorry, Yac it just had to be said....my bad.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is not at all good news. At best, this is simply offering a reward to those who have chosen to break the law. At worst, it puts our national security at risk, as FAIR points out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's the good news? I didn't read any good news for Americans by issuing ID's to illegal foreigners. You're quite the agitator in here, aren't you? Sorry, Yac it just had to be said....my bad.
Agreed.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Race to the bottom continues.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Anonymous725 --- You quoted the part about how the 911 terrorists had government ID---and unless you live under a rock, you know darn well what those terrorists were able to do with government ID.

Yet, after reading that---and quoting it---you go on to say what a wonderful idea it is to reward illegal aliens with IDs.

What can I say about your post, except---unbelieveable, simply unbelievable.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Very very bad idea.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
BTW, it's not The "foundation" for American Immigration Reform. It is The Federation for American Immigration Reform. I should know---my husband and I are members.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
BTW, it's not The "foundation" for American Immigration Reform. It is The Federation for American Immigration Reform. I should know---my husband and I are members.
Just quoting the NY Post article.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Anonymous725 --- You quoted the part about how the 911 terrorists had government ID---and unless you live under a rock, you know darn well what those terrorists were able to do with government ID.

Yet, after reading that---and quoting it---you go on to say what a wonderful idea it is to reward illegal aliens with IDs.

What can I say about your post, except---unbelieveable, simply unbelievable.
I worked in a research project. I found how easy it is to get official documentation straight from the federal government it's self. If terrorists wanted to attack our country - trust me - they wouldn't require a god damn city ID card to help them out on their plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration