Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi again...
So just to clarify,
In no way am I suggesting that the process should have been easier for us. I believe there should indeed be a good deal of effort and seriousness in choosing to immigrate. (even if I do believe there is no reason to have employee act like jerks and slobs on the job. They are still representing our country, but that's another issue)

I'm also not suggesting that we had it harder, or have it harder than living life as an illegal alien.

But we both couldn't help but wonder HOW MANY PEOPLE looped right around us during the time from when we got our first notification of receipt to being approved?

Picture my husband with a large envelope standing in line with an X-Ray of his lungs. They were very very concerned about this ONE British guy's LUNGS! Anyone concerned about the people who sneak in and their lungs? It's almost comical!

How 'bout that background check? Our government isn't concerned about the character of all the people breaking the law, but they made darn sure my husband, who helped take care of his grandmother towards the end and who never got around even trying pot because he was too nerded out learning how to be a computer programmer...

It's the two standards that drive me nuts! But again, I don't hold the illegal aliens as accountable as our government. It's like blaming a 4 years old who get away with everything because they know their mommy enforce the house rules, and daddy spoils them rotten when moms not looking anyway.

I also don't think it's fair to so many people around the world, who are waiting their turn. I really do think we would be able to streamline more people in legally, if we weren't so overwhelmed by illegal immigration.

I would feel much more generous if our government applied the same rules given to everyone that were given to us. But to do this would require things that may be considered "distasteful". A tall fence is way too much common sense. I know so many cry about that, and point to North Korea and the likes, but nasty regimes build fences to keep their people in.

A tall fence is just common sense.
Just one comment. Illegal aliens aren't 4 year olds. They know right from wrong. Our government is to blame but so are they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. The idea of rewarding criminal behavior is so contrary to conventional wisdom that it is astounding that anyone is actually considering it. Like you I had to watch as my wife jumped through the many hoops. My wife is has a college degree, speaks 5 languages including english has never broken any US laws and she had to pass the background, go through a physical, pay her fees up front, apply in nation of origin, then of course wait her turn.
Now they are trying to give the illegals a free pass for breaking the very same laws which would have disqualified both your husband and my wife.
Yet there are some whose wife/husband/family also went through the legal process and they are still illegal alien defenders.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet there are some whose wife/husband/family also went through the legal process and they are still illegal alien defenders.
Very true. Societal guilt? Self hate? I don't know. O love Thailand and Thai people, but you will never see me defend an illegal Thai....

Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
I don't get people who came here legally yet defend illegal aliens. Why would anyone defend those who are here illegally, especially when they came here legally and jumped through all the hoops to do so?

It makes no sense to me.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Just one comment. Illegal aliens aren't 4 year olds. They know right from wrong. Our government is to blame but so are they.
I would say they are human. 4 year olds or 40 year old humans often take advantage of situations where there is weakness. Couple that with advocates and activists who fight those who want to seal our border and then, actually present opportunities for them to take advantage of our system... indeed promote programs that are already in place that were originally designed to help those who truly needed it.

My husband is the professional, and I've always worked part time in restaurants as a server, and I'm used to being around Spanish speaking people. I do my laundry at self serve facilities and there is usually a Spanish station on the telly. Now, I know very little Spanish, but enough to notice a commercial that came on that showed two very pretty Latino women walking together pushing their baby strollers through a nice park with blue skies and I seem to remember long hair was flowing in slow motion and they had beautiful smiles, maybe one was pregnant as well. You know what the "commercial" was for? WIC! That's Woman/Infants/Children. A government program to subsidize food stamps to low income mothers and their children. IT WAS A PROFESSIONAL GLOSSY COMMERCIAL PROMOTING A FORM OF WELFARE! And making it look like it's all good.

On the other hand, I had to prove my husband to be from England would take no welfare. Again two standards. The dysfunction astounds me at times!

Speaking of WIC, where I worked, half the staff was receiving this benefit including a woman who's husband got out of the restaurant kitchen and got trained for a technical career. She no longer officially qualified, but since they didn't ask, she didn't offer to update her information. I called her on it when I noticed she always had big jars of Peanut butter with her. I'm like, "Ah, so you like peanut butter?" and she said, "oh I get it from WIC."
When I asked her how come she's still getting that... her answer...
"Why not? It's free, we pay for it by our taxes."

Free food, safety, jobs, people in the U.S. who are "on your side" and who are "compassionate to your plight", plus those who've gone before you and know their way in, out and around the system, being told Americans wont do jobs that immigrants do... word gets out! All these things would be too attractive to a family struggling with little to eat and no running water. Too easily rationalized when they are getting double messages from those who want them here... to easy to muddy the waters of right and wrong.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Illegals are what they are. Criminals who care not at all about anyone be it rights or laws. They have only 1 thing in mind and that is to get as much as they can, as fast as they can.
There are those who will attempt to minimize what illegals are and do. Who knows why? What can not be denied is that we have a legal system in place. We as a nation allow more immigration than any other and possibly more than all others combined. What can not be denied is that we as a nation have the legal right to determine who may enter and who we decline. We need to raise the benchmark, we don't need any additional low education, illiterate or non-skilled people. WE produce more than enough of our own already. WE don't need to import people who will only become a burden upon our society.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 PM

From ABC news. It can be argued that ABC is no friend to any conservative Idea.
Illegal Immigrants Cost U.S. $100 Billion per Year, Conservative Group Says About Illegal Immigration - ABC News
100 billion a year!!!!!
From the Heritage foundation. (conservative think tank)
Cost of Unlawful Immigrants to the U.S. Taxpayers
fact check
Lengthy read which I believe to be a little more optimistic than accurate, but I also believe to be within the ball park.
Cost of Illegal Immigrants
These are lengthy reads but worthy reads.
now this article is staggering
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-3-t/?page=all

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
It costs our Borders, Language, Culture...anything else you care to add.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM

183 posts, read 192,969 times
Quote:
I hear ya. I have been called anti-Hispanic/Mexican also just because I point out the truth that the majority of illegals are of that group and that they are the group demanding amnesty. I don't know how it is in PA but here in Calif. I rarely hear them speaking English. It doesn't seem like they are assimilating to me. Because I point that fact out I earn that same label.
I just had a post deleted from this Forum in which I pointed out the behavior and actions of the illegal aliens that are here in America. Everything I mentioned was pulled from the newspapers, tv news, or web news sites like CNN, MSNBC, etc. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

Another story on the transfer of illegals aliens from Texas to Arizona was on today's KVOA Channel 4 news here in Tucson.

In short it says, "PHOENIX (AP) - Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's spokesman says federal officials have confirmed that migrants arrested in Texas will continue to be flown to Arizona.

In addition, hundreds of unaccompanied minors a day are being sent to a detention center in southern Arizona. Brewer spokesman Andrew Wilder says federal officials have asked the state to release warehoused medical supplies and ship them to Nogales to deal with what Wilder called a humanitarian crisis."

http://www.kvoa.com/news/us-agency-s...es-to-arizona/

On the TV, they said there were over 600 kids being held and nobody knows what to do with them.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Retired View Post
I just had a post deleted from this Forum in which I pointed out the behavior and actions of the illegal aliens that are here in America. Everything I mentioned was pulled from the newspapers, tv news, or web news sites like CNN, MSNBC, etc. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

Another story on the transfer of illegals aliens from Texas to Arizona was on today's KVOA Channel 4 news here in Tucson.

In short it says, "PHOENIX (AP) - Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's spokesman says federal officials have confirmed that migrants arrested in Texas will continue to be flown to Arizona.

In addition, hundreds of unaccompanied minors a day are being sent to a detention center in southern Arizona. Brewer spokesman Andrew Wilder says federal officials have asked the state to release warehoused medical supplies and ship them to Nogales to deal with what Wilder called a humanitarian crisis."

US agency still flying migrant families to Arizona | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

On the TV, they said there were over 600 kids being held and nobody knows what to do with them.
I wonder if this was Obama's revenge on Brewer for defying him on illegal immigration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration