Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
People who are not citizens of this country can legally vote now.

As was provided in the first post in this thread:

If I agree with the law as it's stated, or if I disagree, is not something I'd bother with here, if I disagree with the law, I focus my energy on taking the necessary steps to get the law changed.

I don't see this forum as the place that's going to happen. Wailing about some law on a public message board merely shows disrespect for the law, it doesn't do anything of any substance besides exercising one's right to complain.

I don't see that as being very productive.

It's really not of any concern of mine in any way whatsoever, if you, or anyone else, agrees with my decisions of how I may act, or what I choose to comment on.
In some states; yes---------if said immigrants are here legally.

Otherwise; voter fraud comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 AM

902 posts, read 718,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In some states; yes---------if said immigrants are here legally.

Otherwise; voter fraud comes to mind.
But, NO immigrant should be allowed to vote on anything whatsoever. Only citizens are supposed to be able to vote. By allowing the even the legal immigrants to vote is so completely wrong.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
But, NO immigrant should be allowed to vote on anything whatsoever. Only citizens are supposed to be able to vote. By allowing the even the legal immigrants to vote is so completely wrong.
I catch your drift; and I agree.

In Ireland; for example, legal immigrants can vote in certain elections------and, even run for political office.

There is a fellow from Africa; Rotimi Adelbari who is an ethnic Nigerian (Black man) and is the mayor of a small town outside of Dublin. His youngest son, born in Ireland, is just as 'Irish' as a stereotypical 'Celtic' redhead, legally speaking.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 AM

902 posts, read 718,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I catch your drift; and I agree.

In Ireland; for example, legal immigrants can vote in certain elections------and, even run for political office.

There is a fellow from Africa; Rotimi Adelbari who is an ethnic Nigerian (Black man) and is the mayor of a small town outside of Dublin. His youngest son, born in Ireland, is just as 'Irish' as a stereotypical 'Celtic' redhead, legally speaking.
Of course I am one of those people who don't think any legal immigrant should be allowed to vote or run for office. I also don't think any recent naturalized citizen should be allowed to run for any political office. I realize that they can but in my mind they should not be allowed to. let their children, who were born here do it. I also don't think that any child born to any illegal parents should be a citizen, and if allowed to keep said citzenship, then they should never be aloowed to run for any political office of any kind, not even dog catcher and certainly not any federal office.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That is certainly the implication. 'Illegal Aliens' have no right to vote in this country.....they have no right to even be here. OTOH, 'Legal Immigrants' have every right to vote in this country. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
Thank you! It's insane that anyone should even point this out to another human being that walks upright on two legs.......

Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM

436 posts, read 810,035 times
Quote:
You can 'flat out' ask whatever you want.

That doesn't mean your unfounded assumptions pass for reality.

Like I said, 'illegal alien' is not a legal definition in law.

As to my defining what is or is not legal, I don't practice such folly, I'll leave that to the proper authorities.

If an immigrant of any kind cares to find out about voting, I'll be more than happy to help them find what they need to know.

It's not up to me, or anyone else on this board, to predetermine what the law will, or will not, allow and I certainly won't get caught up trying to identify some whole 'class' of people that shouldn't be included in any process just because someone wants to brand them as undeserving or undesirable.

I much prefer dealing with individuals on their own individual merits,

(or in some cases, .......those individuals demonstrative lack of merit)
So, you would help someone who is not here legally, to find a way to vote, even though that is a right which shold be reserved for citizens?

Note: CITIZENS, not immigrants here on visa, or in a legal manner. CITIZENS ONLY!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Like I said, 'illegal alien' is not a legal definition in law.
110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. CON. RES. 119
Expressing the sense of the Congress that the President should immediately and unequivocally call for the enforcement of existing immigration laws in order to reduce the threat of a terrorist attack and to reduce the massive influx of illegal aliens into the United States.

Addional references can be found at the Library of Congress listed under the category "Illegal Alien" on the following link. Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

More info from the U.S. Department of Labor:
Compliance Assistance —
Immigration Reform and Control Act

The Law
The Regulations
Federal Register
Synopsis of Law

Under IRCA, employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the U.S., i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S. and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. The employer must verify the identity and employment eligibility of anyone to be hired, which includes completing the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). Employers must keep each I-9 on file for at least three years, or one year after employment ends, whichever is longer.

Compliance Assistance; Immigration Reform and Control Act (broken link)

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
You need clarification?

It's simple enough, eh?

It's called the immigration forum, not the illegal immigration forum.

As a legal matter, there's no such thing as an illegal alien.

Of course there is. It's illegal to come over the border. That is the law. The person is called an "illegal alien".

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I guess the pro-illegals are now really grasping at straws and trying to get illegals out of the woodwork to vote in favor of their illegal behavior. Must finally realize that a preponderance of US citizens, regardless of political affiliation, have HAD IT with the abuses of our country at the hands of people who have no right to be here.

In User2's defense, he did not mention anything about specifically "illegal" immigrants in his OP. Blurring the distinction between legal and illegal immigration in this case may actually backfire, as I would wager that those immigrants who are here legally do not feel so hot about those who jumped the line.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Who are we kidding here folks, its just someone who really believes that illegals have rights when they do not.

No non citizen should have any bearing on the decisions made in ones country.

It was this type that forced us to be nice and call them aliens and not immigrants, now they are trying to find a way to give them rights by calling them something they are not.

The headline is misleading and should have read ILLEGALS have voting rights so, with that said the OP was either misleading people who trying to stir the pot. What the OP found is that there are many very intelligent people here that can break that down to be proven wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration