Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

The Roman Catholic bishop of Tucson, Arizona, Gerald Kicanas, warned lawmakers in Washington, D.C., to change their tone when discussing immigration or risk losing the support of millions of Catholic faithful.

“I must say up front that the U.S. bishops continue to be concerned with the tone on Capitol Hill toward immigrants

Bishop of Tucson to U.S. Congress: 'No person is illegal in the eyes of God' | Fox News Latino

I'm beside myself with this fool. I was raised "Catholic" and, this kind of talk WILL drive me further from the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:50 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
This from the article:

As a nation, do we want to go down this road again?,” Kicanas asked, according Vatican Radio. "Do we want to criminalize millions of persons who have built equities in this country, jail them, and separate them from their families? Instead of fixing a broken system, would we want to jail nuns and other good Samaritans who are simply aiding their fellow human beings, consistent with their faith?

--------------------------

So, they "built equities" in this country. And how did they build equities? By illegally taking jobs, engaging in ID theft and tax evasion.

If they are separated from their families, it is on them, not this country. Everyday, criminals go to jail and are separated from their families. Yet the bishop isn't whining about that. Besides, unlike people who go to prison, if illegals get deported, no one is stopping them from taking their kids with them. In fact, that's what any decent parent would do.

We all know what this push from the Catholic church is all about---they lost so many members over the pedophile priest scandal, that they are now trying to fill the pews again. Ironically, illegals probably don't contribute much of anything to the church coffers.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The Roman Catholic bishop of Tucson, Arizona, Gerald Kicanas, warned lawmakers in Washington, D.C., to change their tone when discussing immigration or risk losing the support of millions of Catholic faithful.

“I must say up front that the U.S. bishops continue to be concerned with the tone on Capitol Hill toward immigrants

Bishop of Tucson to U.S. Congress: 'No person is illegal in the eyes of God' | Fox News Latino

I'm beside myself with this fool. I was raised "Catholic" and, this kind of talk WILL drive me further from the church.
As am I. When our churches start disrespecting our laws and protecting lawbreakers then there is truly something wrong in this country. Even resorting to lying calling the discussion of illegal aliens discussions of "immigrants". Where is this Bishop's compassion for the American families that have been negatively impacted by these lawbreakers? I could barely stomach to read the article and all this crap coming from a Man of God? Let him quote from the scriptures that it's ok to break laws instead spouting the pro-illegal line that "no human is illegal". He's knows that it is possible to be illegally in a country but he twisted it to the above meaning instead. Disgusting!

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-16-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Good. Maybe he and the Vatican will house, educate and provide healthcare all of those illegals? It would help if his church agreed to pay ANY taxes to support them.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I am Catholic and don't support this. It's all about increasing membership because most illegals are Catholic. The diocese by me is even trying to raise money for them. Disgusting.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
The Catholic Church near me bought 103 acres of land and convinced some of their members to have a few of their family member dug up and placed on the property so they wouldn't have to pay annual taxes on it.

So 4 bodies on a hundred acres gets you tax free?..., heck the mob shouldn't be paying taxes on anything.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
when I visit Pittsburgh, my home town, I have yet to meet a practicing Roman Catholic that does not want the borders protected, which is of course, why the local Democrat Party lists support of border security, along with opposing same sex marriage and anti-legalizing pot as reasons they should continue being re-elected.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 PM

268 posts, read 241,235 times
I've heard this bs from preachers before. He's just worried that if all the illegals got deported his congregation would shrink and he'd loose donations/income.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
I've heard this bs from preachers before. He's just worried that if all the illegals got deported his congregation would shrink and he'd loose donations/income.
I'm no longer a practicing catholic. But, I know that certain Catholic Churches have Spanish language masses, so no doubt it is true that they would lose membership and $.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
The parish I live in now, based in Jacumba Hot Springs CA, only has 1 service on Sunday and it's only in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration