Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You HAVE posted it before---(and so have I). It's an EXTREMELY difficult concept to 'grasp', and many of your readers just won't "get it".

Please don't be discouraged. I read your post, and I DO 'get it'....no doubt we'll BOTH be posting it regularly in the future, though, because of its extremely controversial ideas....
Macmeal, Kele,

I have read the post and I get it too. I agree there are definitely civilizations that have it worse than the poor of Mexico do. I wish we could help them as well and I believe America does try to help them.

I think many ask for compassion of the illegals here from Mexico, not just because they seek a better a life, but because our country allowed them to seek it here...practically invited them in.

I agree with you all it is not fair to American taxpayers to have to foot the bill. I am compassionate for Americans as well, it is a tough issue, perhaps why it is not being addressed by the Presidential Candidates?

This is not so easy as deporting millions of people we allowed to establish a life here. Maybe for some of you it is that cut and dry, I tend to think it is a very complex issue.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-31-2008 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I've posted regarding this issue before.

Apparently, it bears repeating.

How many huddled masses do you think this country can hold? How many tired, poor, and homeless wretched refuse are the American citizens in this country expected to support with their tax dollars at the expense of themselves and their fellow citizens who need their assistance just as much if not more than someone from another country?

Did you know that in America, more American children live below the poverty level than in any other industrialized country in the world?

If your motives are a truly altruistic as you would have the rest of us believe, that compassion is what motivates you, then I want you to explain to me what entitles Mexico's people to our compassion over the rest of the world's poor? Its proximity to our southern border?

I have a real problem with those who state that this is all about human compassion, loving thy neighbor, blah diddy blah diddy blah. Today in Africa, approximately 2,500 children died. Tomorrow another 2,500 will die. The day after that another 2,500 children will die. Every day of every week of every year. They will die from starvation and from a lack of clean water, and from the diseases which are brought on by both. Why are they not deserving of a place in American society?

There is no doubt that many of Mexico's people are poor. But there is poor and then there is abject, without hope, destined to die a slow and agonizing death, poverty. If human compassion is indeed the motivation behind illegal immigration (which we all know that it is not--it is the enslavement of an entire geo-political class of people for corporate benefit) then surely there must be a yardstick by which we measure need.

Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated? If poor and uneducated people are what you are looking to import into the United States in the name of human compassion, then I suggest that we begin importing our illegal aliens from the following fifty poorest countries in the world. Please note that Mexico doesn't even make the top 50:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

If human compassion is your motivation, then people from these fifty countries should be priority. I guarantee that they will be much more grateful for the opportunity to "improve" their lives than our current crop of illegals aliens, and I'm sure that they will be just as easy to exploit for slave wages as Mexico's people are, so no loss to big business either.

It's also likely that they will not be marching by the illegal millions in American streets demanding rights reserved for the legal citizens of the United States of America. Nor will they be preaching "reconquista" in the public schools and governmental agencies.

I couldn't agree more. Thank you!!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Macmeal, Kele I have read the post and I get it too. I agree there are definitely civilizations that have it worse than the poor of Mexico do. I wish we could help them as well and I believe America does try to help them.

I think many ask for compassion of the illegals here from Mexico, not just because they seek a better a life, but because our country allowed them to seek it here...practically invited them in.

I agree with you all it is not fair to American taxpayers to have to foot the bill. I am compassionate for Americans as well, it is a tough issue, perhaps why it is not being addressed by the Presidential Candidates?

This is not so easy as deporting millions of people we allowed to establish a life here. Maybe for some of you it is that cut and dry, I tend to think it is a very complex issue.
Thanks for your post. I'll probably get 'flack' for this, but I'm not a big believer in forced deportation. I can see deporting 'bad guys', as well as some RECENT arrivals, but beyond that, I'd hate to see people being deported. I,ve known too many illegals and "ex"-illegals not to have much admiration for much of their 'pluck' and spirit. I just can't hate them as a 'class'.

What I WOULD like to see, though, is an agreement that illegal immigration can NOT continue--that it MUST be stopped, and that it's NOT RACIST to hold that position. You may recall that my own wife is racially identical with most illegals, and neither she nor I have ANY use at ALL for racists. There are many in this forum--I know who they are, and so do you. That's no excuse, though, not to address illegal immigration.

That's what I'D like to see, if I had my way PERSONALLY. An admission that the US has a right to control its borders, to 'steer' its economy, and to be APPRECIATED for all it HAS done (which is PLENTY)...and to stop with the silly 'racial' squabbling. That's a nasty scene, but its BESIDE the point. If your "ship" is taking on water, you don't squabble over the race of your shipmates---you STOP the LEAK !!....you can take up the racial squabbling later, once you've saved your ship....(if you get my drift)

Thanks for your post Mach 50--- we may not be that far apart after all...

PS One final thought--maybe just a TINY touch of 'gratitude' from the "new people' would be in order, too. Stop with the "Aztlan" stuff, maybe a few "Thank you, USA---Glad to be here"? demonstrations...Sounds 'corny', I know, but it may 'work wonders'...(just a thought)...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Ewing View Post
Immigrants: They are people first
I'm so sick of this truism.

*smacks head*

They're people? Well, gol' darn. I thought they were screwdrivers.

"Bartender. Hold the vodka!"

"Soylent Green! It's peeeepole!"

Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you define "our country" as the current corporatocracy, then I'd agree.

I define "our country" as "we the People," however. We the People absolutely have not invited them in.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
PS One final thought--maybe just a TINY touch of 'gratitude' from the "new people' would be in order, too. Stop with the "Aztlan" stuff, maybe a few "Thank you, USA---Glad to be here"? demonstrations...Sounds 'corny', I know, but it may 'work wonders'...(just a thought)...
Absolutely! I simply don’t understand why they don’t realize their lack of gratitude has been a major impetus for much of the contempt felt by many U.S. citizens; and serves only to exacerbate the problem. I can only surmise; there is no overt display of appreciation…..because they have none.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
For a lesson in growing a pair and dealing with illegal immigration, we should look to French President Nicolas Sarkozy. I love the fact that his policies toward illegal immigration are "France for the French." There are times when a bit of xenophobia is necessary and I think that the French have woken to the dangers of illegal immigration in just enough time to save their beautiful country from becoming a part of Islam.
You too have noticed that ever since the son of a (legal) immigrant was elected as France's president that few people here bash the French these days?

Being also of Hungarian lineage; I had to chuckle at Sarkozy's father's ethnicity

Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! I simply don’t understand why they don’t realize their lack of gratitude has been a major impetus for much of the contempt felt by many U.S. citizens; and serves only to exacerbate the problem. I can only surmise; there is no overt display of appreciation…..because they have none.
Just because we're "easy", don't mistake that for "stupid", I guess is how you could put it...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I couldn't agree more. Thank you!!!!!

Sounds like you and Kele need to go out for a cup of coffee.

And; I loooove that 'hammer' pic

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Just because we're "easy", don't mistake that for "stupid", I guess is how you could put it...

As some would say - "Don't let the smooth taste fool ya."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration