Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the third option is to punish employers, landlords, etc. who knowingly hire/rent to illegal immigrants---------my state of Arizona (Employer Sanctions Law) as well as Oklahoma both come to mind.
There are enough businesses who need cheap labor and landlords who want cash that I'd venture many are willing to take those risks to keep doing what they're doing. That means there will be more immigrants.

We punish mobsters and drug dealers, but organized crime and drugs are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There are enough businesses who need cheap labor and landlords who want cash that I'd venture many are willing to take those risks to keep doing what they're doing. That means there will be more immigrants.

We punish mobsters and drug dealers, but organized crime and drugs are still around.
Yes; there are (and will always be) devious individuals who will flaunt the law no matter what.

OTOH: there are many other landlords/employers who are 'fence sitters'-------read that with the new laws in place and being enforced they will not knowingly hassle with any species of illegal immigrant.

Too risky.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
But there's a problem. It is inevitable. As long as Mexicans can make more money here, they will move here. Just like if people in New Jersey can get a bigger house for less money in North Carolina, they will move there.

It's one of the less glorified side effects of capitalism. No nation exists in a vacuum.

There are two sure-fire solutions to the immigration problem. One is to subsidize Mexico so people can make as good a living there as here. The other is to make America as poor as Mexico so Mexicans wouldn't be any better off coming here. Who's for either one?

If the problem was only Mexico, I wouldn't be even 1/10 as concerned. My problem is that it is Mexico, Rest of Latin America, 1 billion muslims, 2 billion east asians and 1.5 billion south asians as well as over 1/2 billion Africans and a small amount from Eastern Europe all are coming. Mexico is merely a pebble in the pond. I understand that the majority are from Mexico, but do you have any Idea how many are waiting in the wings to invade our country. When every other country in the world erases their borders so Africans can go to China and Indians can go to Japan and Afghanis can go to Argentina, then maybe I could stomach this phenomenon. And all the countries I mentioned are much poorer than the countries that I listed as the receiving countries so don't anyone say that they wouldn't want to go. If it's global then let it be truly global, what we have now is a (erase the West plan.)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
If the problem was only Mexico, I wouldn't be even 1/10 as concerned. My problem is that it is Mexico, Rest of Latin America, 1 billion muslims, 2 billion east asians and 1.5 billion south asians as well as over 1/2 billion Africans and a small amount from Eastern Europe all are coming. Mexico is merely a pebble in the pond. I understand that the majority are from Mexico, but do you have any Idea how many are waiting in the wings to invade our country. When every other country in the world erases their borders so Africans can go to China and Indians can go to Japan and Afghanis can go to Argentina, then maybe I could stomach this phenomenon. And all the countries I mentioned are much poorer than the countries that I listed as the receiving countries so don't anyone say that they wouldn't want to go. If it's global then let it be truly global, what we have now is a (erase the West plan.)
I really can't see that happening, the reason all of Latin America is coming is their obvious close distance to us. I don't believe Canadians have a reason to come here illegally.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM

157 posts, read 310,021 times
Question Logic

Maybe someone can answer this. Mexicans send money (Usually all) to Mexico. Now, IF they have came here for the "American Dream" why would they send money to Mexico. Doesn't make since. You are here your money is in Mexico.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGIC View Post
Maybe someone can answer this. Mexicans send money (Usually all) to Mexico. Now, IF they have came here for the "American Dream" why would they send money to Mexico. Doesn't make since. You are here your money is in Mexico.
Thats the only reason they come here.. to send money back to their families.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
It makes a great deal of sense. When they wail that they only want a piece of the American Dream what they mean is that they want to be Mexicans living in America. They are here for what they can get and frankly, the majority have little to contribute to the US due to lack of education and job skills. Many live in extremely overcrowded conditions in violation of our housing laws, work under the table so taxes are not taken out, use our hospitals and ERs and never pay the bill and drive without the added expense of car insurance. This enables them to then send 'their' money back to Mexico. Their primary allegiance is to the Glorious Motherland, not the US. When they arrive I suspect the majority plan on returning home after a few years to build a house or something. However, once they get settled and see the way our traitorous gov. officials and the ethnic advocacy groups cater to them 24-7, it becomes easier and easier to just stay.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
They send money to help their families in Mexico. If a father or mother is ill they send money for medications or doctors. If I were a Mexican here and I had family in Mexico that needed money, I would do the same thing. I keep hearing about the American Dream, what exactly is the American dream?
Sassy

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
We are a nation of laws or we aren't. If you give an amnesty, everyone with an ounce of intelligence would know that more will come. Not only because they are pretty assured that all they have to do is squat for a while and eventually an amnesty will come. Those who where given amnesty will then leave the undesirable jobs and starting taking the jobs more valued by citizens. That's why when those new illegals come in, they will have a huge population of amnestied immigrants to give them significant support. They went through the same thing and will naturally have empathy. Now you not only have the powerful business lobby, race hustlers, politicians hungry for support along with these new fresh voters, who will at that time be able to to turn the tide. At that time we, will no longer have adequate numbers or sympathetic ears to block another amnesty. This is the end all to end all folks.
Currently we can handle it, but we can't get our legislation pushed through at the federal level in any significant way. This is because the most powerful force in all this is (drumroll please)........ "Globalization" see us as merely a nuisance. The so called conservatives and Lou Dobbs Democrats better stop sitting in their loung chair complaining about the problem, then vote for idiots. Our first priority is for us (the grass roots) to find a viable candidate who can win and fully supports our cause ( a governor or Senator ), and not let the party hacks choose who will run. (These Party insiders are all members of the Council on Foreign Relations or the Bildebergers). Almost every member of the ruling class in this country belong to one or more of these groups (think Clintons, Bush's, John Kerry, George Soros, Rockefeller family, you name it).
These are the groups who control the Globalized Free Trade system; which equals at this point the economy of the entire world. How can we fight this, we must find our own candidate, who is not beholden to any of these groups and try our best to not have them six feet under before they can even get a chance to shake some old guys hand at a dinner, or flip pancakes. I guess what I mean guys, is this time it's not David and Goliath, it's Papa Smurph vs. Godzilla. What do you think?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM

558 posts, read 385,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
It seems like to me that the pro - immigration corporate and political elitists are drawing a picture of America in the future, the way they want it and to resist is futile. To them, national boundaries do not really exist and that we inevitably will have to be a completely intertwined economic global community. The West has ceased to grow population wise, and their thirst for money and power needs to be replenished no matter what cost. They feel they have the moral authority because, there are alot of poor people who will benefit from their plan. Never mind the fact that the first thing they forced the Bush Administration to do in his first days in office, was to immediately cut funding to global family planning programs. These programs where causing the birth rates in poor countries to drop presipitously. Wouldn't it help these people if they had fewer children, so they could more easily provide for them? This proves that all they want are more people because it equals more $$$$, they could care less if these people are starving. They don't realize that culturally, the West will be the only ones who suffer in their plan, or do they care? They have their own culture up there in the clouds that will never be challenged. In 50 years, will China loose their numerical majority in their own country? How about India, Mexico, Nigeria or the Philippines? They will not, and while their society improves economically they will always have their cultural homeland. The West will turn into a multicultural mess, where the different ethnic/racial groups will hate each other, but who cares, because they will always keep shopping. There will be some mixing, but with the continued massive immigration we are experiencing it won't matter much, because America will end up with some sort of racial hierarchy, like exists in Brazil. Who will fare the worst in this debocle of a future we will have? The Blacks. They won't even have Africa to count on because Africans shun them and coin them as decendants of "cotton pickers" etc.. Some one please convince me that I am wrong, because this is not a world I want my children to have to see.
Oh get a grip. You are afraid of "racial mixing" please. That makes ME SICK! I am a person that is of 4 different racial background. White, Black, Native Indian, and Middle Eastern. And guess what. I am a great person with no hang ups. I find it interesting and wonderful to have these backgrounds and cultures and history. Buddy, in the begining we were all black!!!! Humans originated from AFRICA!!! Race...who cares. WE ARE ALL HUMAN. We all bleed the same, feel, touch, see, laugh, cry, stress, get sick, feel pain the same. AND GUESS WHAT...when we all die in the end...your race won't matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration