Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Steve-O,

I assume you are being facetious but if not shame on you. I used to be a proponent of sending them (illegals) back before I got to know them and also just realize how impossible it is to send a large part of your labor force packing. By the time I was in college (12 years ago) I knew enough to know that building walls and deporting people was not the solution.

My neighbors, who I rent a garage to are illegal. They have an 11 year old daughter who was born here. The parents also have a 19 and 20 year old boy and girl in Mexico who were raised by the grandma. They have not seen their boy or girl in 13 years and are afraid that if they go back they may not be able to return to the US. Erma (her name) will be left without anyone to take care of her.

This ties into the whole brown vs. black debate as this Mexican family has both parents working minimum wage just to survive and raise a daughter and are not depending on public aid, aside from possibly medical treatment and schooling for their daughter. They pay into social security thru forged social security numbers. They are contributing to our society versus some others who arguably are not. They rent a garage from me and have never in 2 years ever paid me late, even though they are very poor and would have every excuse for falling behind. If we are going to deport anybody it certainly shouldn't be those who want to be here and work hard to scrape by.
While you come across as a nice and caring guy, which Im sure you are, youre still allowing ILLEGAL people to live here. And please, dont tell me "shame on you", we did things by the book, no free handouts or lawbreaking for me and my Norwegian/Scottish/Irish ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Steve-O,

I could use the same argument as my most recent ancestors came in the 1840s from Germany. Most of my ancestors came in the 1600 and 1700s before there even was a country, but I still feel compassion for people who truly want to be here and work hard.

Where I live there are no other white people. It is an impoverished neighborhood on the west side of Chicago called Humboldt Park. My options are renting to hispanics (mostly illegal mexicans and some puerto ricans) or blacks. I have had nothing but negative experiences with my black tenants and have had much more positive experiences with my mexican and puerto rican tenants. Basically, I would prefer legal to illegal but will take good people who pay their bills and don't cause problems.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:39 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Quote:
Steve-O,

I could use the same argument as my most recent ancestors came in the 1840s from Germany. Most of my ancestors came in the 1600 and 1700s before there even was a country, but I still feel compassion for people who truly want to be here and work hard.

Where I live there are no other white people. It is an impoverished neighborhood on the west side of Chicago called Humboldt Park. My options are renting to hispanics (mostly illegal mexicans and some puerto ricans) or blacks. I have had nothing but negative experiences with my black tenants and have had much more positive experiences with my mexican and puerto rican tenants. Basically, I would prefer legal to illegal but will take good people who pay their bills and don't cause problems.
I told my dad not to rent to Mexicans anymore, fact. Not because I'm a self-loather, its because that 99% of the time we did, they flat out trashed the place. We rented to Puerto Ricans, it was alright. We've had White tenants since my dad bought the 4-plex and have never had problems with them. They're nice people, send us greeting cards a long with their bill.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Steve-O,

Well, like I said, you seem like a very caring person, and it is hard indeed to turn your back on people who need help, but they should be following the LAW. Its bad enough that people have disrespect for a landlord's property, but if they have disrespect for our country's laws and dont obey them by coming here illegally, I have a MAJOR beef with that. I think you should too.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:36 PM

206 posts, read 410,707 times
I'm not going along with the "he's a nice guy." Here is someone whose point seems to be "Mexicans/Hispanics are great, but Blacks are bad people." Is there really any other point to this post? Why is this nonsense being posted at all?

I've had negative and positive experiences with all sorts of people. Just a few weeks ago, a gas-station employee tried to steal money from me and a B&B tried to charge me an extra night despite canceling according to their policy. The gas-station employee was from Southeast Asia and the B&B owner was Anglo. But, I chalked up their behavior to greed which is common to our species in general, rather than making the brilliant conclusion that it had something to do with their ethnicities.

Is it too much of a stretch to realize that bad behavior is not exclusive to any particular group? But, if you have a negative pre-judgment about a particular group, you'll remember every instance of their members behaving badly, but overlook that behavior in others...We're trying to have a civilization here!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Uneducated people tend to make generalizations about an entire group of people based on skin color. Isn't that stupid?

Don't rent to ignorant people and you'll be fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Steve-O,

For God's sake: please do not rent to known illegals!

It is too risky to do so-------and, especially post that you are doing so online.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
This person rents to illegals he says because they pay their bills on time. Hmmm... that must mean they're working the jobs that "Americans won't do"... hmmm

Maybe this is why the blacks can't pay their rent on time because all the illegals have the jobs they once held?

Interesting.

I hope the feds confiscate your property.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM

48 posts, read 137,643 times
What is the point of trying to get him arrested. Geez get a life

Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times
Quote:
O.K., first of all, there are white people in Humboldt Park. The neighborhood is primarily hispanic, but there are white people there, and the neighborhood is starting to gentrify. And what difference does the race of the people that live there make anyway? Rent to any race, just make sure they are here legally and have good credit scores to reduce your risk of getting bad tenants. There are good and bad tenants of any race.

I get tired of the "they are just good, hard working people" and "they are just trying to make a better life for their familys argument". The truth is, illegals are taking away from American familys who should be our first priority. Breaking the law and stealing people's identitys is not o.k. in my book.

Last edited by sbd78; 02-22-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration