Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 AM

1,225 posts, read 606,048 times

Advertisements

I guarantee you it’s the DUI. To USCIS any admission to the crime equals an admission of guilt. Plea bargain or not, he’s guilty according to immigration law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:55 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Legal immigrants have a long list of laws that if broken, they can/will be deported. This isn't an illegal alien issue.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why are you surprised that they are holding a white guy? Illegal aliens have been deported back to 189 different countries.
He is surprised because liberals have been pushing the narrative "All Republicans hate brown people" (ARHBP) so long that some people actually believe it.

The "ARHBP" narrative was a substitute for the actual narrative of, "Let's prevent illegal entry into our country".

Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
From a non-propagandist news source....

According to his "notice to appear" from the Department of Homeland Security, Niec's detention stems from two misdemeanor convictions from 26 years ago. In January 1992, Niec was convicted of malicious destruction of property under $100. In April of that year, he was convicted of receiving and concealing stolen property over $100 and a financial transaction device. He has a criminal record. ....... if he lied on his green card application..then this is a problem.

He has a criminal record that pretty much can be used as a violation against a green card holder. This mans should have become a citizen by now and he wouldn't have this problem. Its essentially his fault. Ice is just doing their job.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why not tell the whole truth?

So, DWI and domestic violence-as an adult. Honestly, I have no problem with him facing a deportation hearing. As long as he had been here, he should have stepped up and applied for citizenship. As a legal alien resident, he, and anyone else, has to be spotless with regards to criminal behavior-or send them home. Yes-even if it's a white guy! Being allowed to immigrate to this country, and to stay as a resident alien, is a privilege, not a right. He abused the privilege.
Not sure if a person can hold a green card for 40 years. Seems to me its a visa overstay abusing his privilege plain and simple.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Not sure if a person can hold a green card for 40 years. Seems to me its a visa overstay abusing his privilege plain and simple.
Green Cards can be renewed every 10 years. A green card holder DOES NOT have to apply for US citizenship. One principle reason permanent US residents DO NOT apply for US citizenship is because some countries DO NOT allow dual citizenship and they will have to renounce their citizenship to their home country.

Some people are not willing to do this since having citizenship in another country gives them rights to access services available in those countries such as "universal healthcare"

I believe South Korea is one such example, but there are many others.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I dont understand why he didn't obtain citizenship in his long years being here, especially being a doctor.

Well, we all know, anyone is subjected to deportation if someone commits a crime under a green card.
While this may not apply to this person who came here at 5 years old, I can tell you why immigrants may not become citizens from a genealogical standpoint, especially back in the old days before visas, green cards, etc.

Have you ever seen Naturalization Papers? The immigrant has to denounce the ruler and country they came from. Many immigrants may not want to do that if they still feel strong ties to the "old country".

Some of my Italian immigrant ancestors become citizens, other didn't, especially the women. None of my British immigrant ancestors (late 19th Century) ever became citizens. Census records listed them as Aliens. I am old enough to remember them and what they said; "The Colonies", "God Save the Queen", Americans are speaking OUR language, etc. Even my Grandpa, born in the US, said the same. Tell me exactly how British immigrants are supposed to assimilate into American culture? I suppose you could say how many Southerns never got over the Civil War, many Brits never got over the American Revolution including those who moved here.

We had a former neighbor who was a Naturalized Citizen from Mexico whose kids and grandkids were born in Florida. He continued to speak Spanish, keep his culture, and when he died the family had his body flown to and buried in Mexico according to his wishes in "his own country, next to his people". Naturalization never took the Mexico out of him, or the UK out of my ancestors.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I would rather he stay here. Our population is living longer and there is a shortage of doctors in the US. Many don't want the enormous loans they have to take out and pay back.
So you believe the laws should be enforced or not enforced based on the whims of our wishes or the whims of the President? Do you understand we are a nation of laws. If people don't like the law as it is, they should get out and vote for more Democrats and push to have different laws written.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:30 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, this doctor was a LEGAL immigrant.
You should follow the thread. I was not talking about the OP. I was responding to the post immediately before mine, which was a WaPo excerpt that was not about the Polish doctor.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 606,048 times
Even If you do not renew your 10 yr greencard you do NOT lose your permanent residency. If you’re caught without it yes you can face consequences. But it’s not like you go into deportation proceedings if you don’t renew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration