Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Because the US is the greatest country on earth. We should be leading the way on almost everything possible.

I hope you're not understanding that we simply shouldn't do anything, because that is not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that for 2018, on the richest country in the planet, building a wall across a border that with no doubt, needs reinforcement, seems outdated. Just my opinion.

I don't live near the border, but have been near it many times. Even as a visitor, you know life down there is dangerous. But my point exactly, Americans near the border are living a more dangerous life, and the government only comes back with a wall... Yes, maybe is better than the nothing that is out there right now...but still.. I personally think is not good enough.
Richest county? We aren’t talking about Qatar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Not required until they have an immigration interview. Just like those who overstay visas And adjust

The point is that legal immigrants have those records available and reviewed before they are allowed in here. The bad thing about illegal aliens, refugees and asylum seekers is that they don't. Asylum seekers are just given a date to appear in court but allowed to roam free in in our country until then and many if not most never show up for their court dates. This places a health risk on our own citizens.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not! Both the national guard and building a wall are two very good examples of resources not spend well.

The US is the richest country in the world, for crying out loud, people in Washington should be able to come up with a SMART and EFFECTIVE way to secure our borders.

Is very easy to criticize, but so far all the efforts Trump has talked about how to secure our border are very primitive... things developing counties would do, not the US..

What is your smart and effective solution then? The good walls have already been proven to work and are cost effective. The very presence of he NG on our border is a deterrant also.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I always say, we as people, should always look back at what history has taught us, to not keep making the same mistakes.

Very different scenarios, but even when Berlin was divided in the Soviet times, people still managed to sneak in an out though the Berlin Wall. Mind you, this was in the middle of Berlin, where there was always people around and hiding must've been extremely hard. Yet, people still managed.

Just think what's going to happen with a wall in the vast deserts of Arizona and New Mexico..?
Where there isn't anyone for miles... Do you think a while will stop undocumented immigrants from getting into the states? I don't think so... At most, the wall will only change smuggling routes, make it harder for them to cross, but not stop them.

Here's examples of how the good walls already in place have worked very well. It forces illegal aliens (not undocumented immigrants) to try and enter at more difficult and dangerous places so fewer will try and fewer will succeed. No one is saying that the wall will prevent illegal entry 100% but effective enough to make it worthwhile.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/586853001/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Not required until they have an immigration interview. Just like those who overstay visas And adjust
The reality is illegal aliens often do not have them.
20 years ago, living in Southern California when I was pregnant, it was discovered I wasn't immune to German measles. Somehow, perhaps because my mother and I moved so many times, that particular vaccine fell through the cracks, and I'm a natural born citizen!
My doctor discussed the situation with me and asked where I worked. I worked at a school in San Juan Capistrano that had a heavy south of the border population. He told me to quit my job immediately! As soon as I gave birth, and was put in my hospital room, I was given the vaccination.

The INS is overwhelmed as it is. The bottle neck for legal citizenship is narrow and grueling. My husband and I were treated with suspicion and it felt like the officers were overcompensating for their lack of control of the borders by acting intimidating. It was weird. The illegals that flood the borders and make it through are a bit like herding cats.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:48 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What is your smart and effective solution then? The good walls have already been proven to work and are cost effective. The very presence of he NG on our border is a deterrant also.
I, too, would like to know^^^^

Clearly, the BP doesn't have the manpower to properly protect the border. I've told this story before but for those who missed it... Some years back, our daughter and son-in-law went to a BP job fair. The agent they talked to didn't mince any words. They were told that if they were hired, they would be put on the graveyard shift and be the only agent around for 70 miles. If backup was needed, it wouldn't be coming anytime soon.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
The reality is illegal aliens often do not have them.
20 years ago, living in Southern California when I was pregnant, it was discovered I wasn't immune to German measles. Somehow, perhaps because my mother and I moved so many times, that particular vaccine fell through the cracks, and I'm a natural born citizen!
My doctor discussed the situation with me and asked where I worked. I worked at a school in San Juan Capistrano that had a heavy south of the border population. He told me to quit my job immediately! As soon as I gave birth, and was put in my hospital room, I was given the vaccination.

The INS is overwhelmed as it is. The bottle neck for legal citizenship is narrow and grueling. My husband and I were treated with suspicion and it felt like the officers were overcompensating for their lack of control of the borders by acting intimidating. It was weird. The illegals that flood the borders and make it through are a bit like herding cats.
It’s been uscis for almost 20 years now, ins ceases to exist. From what I have heard lately it’s hit and miss with the officers. The big trouble with USC IS is it is completely self funded. It’s really their job to assume guilt until you prove your innocence

Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
It’s been uscis for almost 20 years now, ins ceases to exist. From what I have heard lately it’s hit and miss with the officers. The big trouble with USC IS is it is completely self funded. It’s really their job to assume guilt until you prove your innocence
Yes, I understand some of the nature and titles of the bureaucracy have changed, and of course they need to look out for people who attempt to cheat the system. I do also think the U.S. gets to choose who they let in.
Nevertheless, there's a dysfunction in our immigration system. Not sure how it is now, but hubby had to assure that he would not be taking welfare and the petitioning party (the U.S. citizen) for the K1 visa in our case, needed to be making over a particular salary or have over 30K in the bank. (He's paid lots and lots of taxes since then.)

Personally, and I know many on this forum would disagree, I wouldn't mind seeing the path to legal immigration open up a little. But it bothers me to see the laws we already have on the books not enforced. I don't like that people all over the world wait sometimes for years to emigrate because they want to follow our laws while others sneak in or over stay then are eventually forgiven. Cue jumping is just wrong.
And just to be clear, I could care less about the race of an immigrant, although I think anyone from another country should be vetted to make sure they know they have to comply to our laws and basic standards. No honor killings, no Russian spies with poison umbrellas etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I wonder what will happen if there is a stand down with our armed national guard and border agents and suddenly the horde just charges the line? Will there be shots fired or will they let them in to be arrested and processed later?

I watched the swarm five or six times back in the mid-late 1990s through early 2000s.

Not sure about a stand down (what is that?) I have seen the hordes lined up at the border at night swarm the border agents. The border agents do not shoot them, they just grab as many as they can and let the rest through. More border agents come driving in further inland and grab some more of them.

There is no "line" there are about 30 border agents in SUVs and some sort of ATV and about 3000 people waiting until dark to run across. The fence is full of holes and dug outs gong under. I did not see anyone try to climb over.

The agents were good and fast, it looked like they rounded up maybe a third of them. They just cuff them and make them lay on the ground while the agents grab more. I think they used zip ties but I could not see for sure. Some of the "cuffed" people jumped up and ran off with their hands tied behind them.
Back then it was craziness. I felt sorry for the border patrol people. Their job was ridiculous.

This was at TJ and Otay Mesa. It was really amazing to watch. In the evening people would walk up the the fence and just lie down and wait. Just as it got mostly dark, suddenly they would all jump up and run for the fence. Some knew exactly where to go and it looked like they just went right through. Others woudl run along the fence looking for a way through. At some holes, they would form a line.

Fortunately for the border patrol, they only got through in a limited number at a time. This made it easier for the agents to round people up then grab the next ones. If they all went through at once, there would be no chance of stopping even a small percentage.

I hope it has changed. It was one of the craziest things I ever saw.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
When we lived in Southern California there were all kinds of weird illnesses popping up int he schools, Tuberculosis, dengue fever, hepatitis, I cannot remember what all else. Lots of things you thought no longer existed. Then you would get a note home from the school saying there were reports of XXX breaking out in the school district, but not to worry there were no reported cases in our school. Everyone knew where these "extinct" illnesses came from, but you were not suppose to discuss it or mention it. It was not PC to do so. You just had to pretend it had mysteriously appeared from nowhere.

Everything was cure-able that we heard of popping up n the schools. Usually it was a couple of kids came down with whatever, everyone panicked and then it just died out until the next formerly extinct disease popped up. No one died and it never spread, or at least not beyond the first kid or two who got it. There were maybe 6 or 8 outbreaks of weird things like that in as many years. It never impacted us or any of the schools our kids were actually in, but it makes you nervous.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-06-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration