Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Gee, the three times my cars were totalled in the last seven years was by foreign nationals who disregarded our driving laws to drive like they did in their "home country" and by actual illegals, driving without licenses. How do I know? The police confirmed all the info given to them by two of the drivers that hit me was false. This should point out how the probability of damage inflicted by illegals goes up concomitantly with their numbers as here in Los Angeles. The illegals really are an indefensible demographic. They move here to break laws.
Your frustration is understandable. But it's not correct to say illegals (as a group) "move here to break laws". A FEW obviously do, but the vast majority don't. And certainly NO ONE moves here, just so he can drive drunk. Illegals come here because (1) they can make more money than they can at home, (2) Many Americans WANT them here, because they're 'cheap', and (3) They can come here virtually without risk, knowing there are few or no legal consequences. They come here, because they CAN.

The problem is, that among them ARE certain criminals, but so "Politically Charged" is the whole mess, and so much is it given a 'racial' angle, that ANY attack on the "Crime" committed by illegals is regarded as "an attack on Mexicans". So convoluted has the reasoning become in this issue, that MANY people, right here on this forum, have suggested that we shouldn't "complain" when illegals DO commit crimes...because (are you ready for this ?)..."WE commit lots of crimes OURSELVES".....

That's the type of reasoning you're dealing with. It's not accurate to say they "come here to break laws"...the REALITY, though, is bad enough. They come here illegally...a number of them THEN go on to commit REAL crimes..but "that's OK", we're told...because we're "used to crime", so a little "extra" crime shouldn't make any difference...

Incredible line of reasoning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM

334 posts, read 827,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If you know who he was, know his ethnicity, his birthplace, etc., why can't you track him down and sue him? Exactly what is an "all American white boy", anyway?...

And are you suggesting that your unfortunate experience with an American criminal should be used as a reason to allow NON-American criminals to operate in the US as well? I don't get the connection. What does one situation have to do with the other? The thread here isn't about which nation has the worst drunk drivers..it's about illegal immigration, and its effects upon the US. Effects which probably don't have a lot of impact on you anyway, since you don't live in the US. You live in Mexico, and you don't have to deal with massive numbers of illegals, since they aren't allowed where you live. What, exactly, is your 'stake' in this situation? You're welcome, of course, as a 'casual observer', but if you don't live with illegal immigration, you can hardly speak with any credibility on its importance.

Just wondering...
Ever hear the term "you can't get blood out of a turnip"? I hired an attorney, primarily for MY insurance company, you know they're all crooks when it comes time to pay.

He was one who helped get my door open so I could get out -- just kept apologizing over and over. Looked like a white boy (white skin, blond hair surfer type) spoke english like a white boy, drank beer like a white boy, see, I know all this because I'm a white boy too.

I live in Mexico now, but was a business owner for years in Arizona, even hired an illegal once when I couldn't get anyone else to take the job. Grew up in S Az, went to school with a lot of mexicans (1/2 of students) -- just didn't know then how bad they all are.

Have kids and grandchildren in Temecula, Phoenix and Flagstaff and illegal immigration may affect them sometime (hasn't yet).

I don't care about anyone's idea of credibility, reputation (what is THAT) and don't need/seek approval. I write from my experiences, not what someone wrote somewhere, and if you think I write something untrue, point it out. I'll either agree with you or try to show you my point of view better.

You are correct that my experience was not with an illegal, I was thinking a little balance to the wholesale "illegals did it" type of thinking might be appreciated by some . . . .

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Ever hear the term "you can't get blood out of a turnip"? I hired an attorney, primarily for MY insurance company, you know they're all crooks when it comes time to pay.

He was one who helped get my door open so I could get out -- just kept apologizing over and over. Looked like a white boy (white skin, blond hair surfer type) spoke english like a white boy, drank beer like a white boy, see, I know all this because I'm a white boy too.

I live in Mexico now, but was a business owner for years in Arizona, even hired an illegal once when I couldn't get anyone else to take the job. Grew up in S Az, went to school with a lot of mexicans (1/2 of students) -- just didn't know then how bad they all are.

Have kids and grandchildren in Temecula, Phoenix and Flagstaff and illegal immigration may affect them sometime (hasn't yet).

I don't care about anyone's idea of credibility, reputation (what is THAT) and don't need/seek approval. I write from my experiences, not what someone wrote somewhere, and if you think I write something untrue, point it out. I'll either agree with you or try to show you my point of view better.

You are correct that my experience was not with an illegal, I was thinking a little balance to the wholesale "illegals did it" type of thinking might be appreciated by some . . . .
I understand many of your points. Like you, I didn't understand how bad they all are either (having had many in my extended family who've now 'assimilated'....). But that was THEN...and this is NOW...and a once 'victimless crime' has gone off in whole new directions, unforseen 30 or 35 years ago. American society has changed, American business has changed, and the new 'wave' of illegals has changed.

One of the more cogent points I ran across on this forum (I THINK it was by Andreabeth..?) made mention of the fact that "we Americans" constantly "pound into the heads" of our kids that they MUST finish High School, because "they won't be able to 'make it' in this society" otherwise...presumably because, lacking an education, we won't "need" them.

Then we turn around and continue to allow a steady stream of illegals, most of whom do NOT have a HS education, and many FAR less...and we seem surprised and disappointed that THESE FOLKS "can't make it" (at least not into the middle class) in our society...and we continue to do this, because, we're told, we "need" them...and it makes no sense at all. Then the illegals get mad at US, when they find that they "can't make it" in this society. Many people mention these 'hard workers who come to pick crops and clean motels' etc. Few people would object to that scenario, but today, illegals don't always come for these 'lowly' jobs, and that's where the friction begins.

If American-born 'locals' can't "live the good life" without a diploma, what makes us think that foreign-born folks, far less equipped, could 'make it' any better? And if they're suddenly legalized, as many think they SHOULD be, what on earth makes anyone think they'd be satisfied with their present status? And if they AREN'T, then won't the ultimate result just be an angry, dissatisfied NEW group of "legal" workers? And won't THIS be an open invitation, backed up by a powerful precedent, for FURTHER ILLEGAL immigration?...after all, if we "did it" for one group, we can "do it again" (in fact, we've already HAD one MAJOR amnesty, now being cited as a precedent for the NEXT one)..the whole thing is just insane, and the only place anyone DISCUSSES it, is on forums like this. The "Pols" won't touch it...

I won't get into the whole work-ethic thing, and I've known many "good" illegals, and they're (as a class) generally nice people, in my personal experience. My whole 'beef' is that, nice or NOT, the whole situation is just INSANE, from the P.O.V. of the American "man in the street". You've accurately pointed out that this is a US Governmental failure...I agree. But you must ALSO uinderstand that that dosen't mean we can't be UPSET over it.

"We" shouldn't be upset with illegals, because the proper authorities should be doing their jobs, in which case the NUMBERS of illegals would never have reached such 'critical mass' that they CAUSE upset in the locals. Illegals have been here forever...the CURRENT situation, though, is relatively recent. Among the racist and ill-informed 'rants' you see on this forum, lie a FAIR number of very legitimate, well-founded concerns.

Sadly, still reeling from a bruising, year-long lawsuit, in which I had to pay 3 years income in order to "get back to square one", I share your dismal view of the members of the bar.

Last edited by macmeal; 04-15-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
There you go, blaming the government instead of the illegal aliens. What else would I expect from an alien advocate.

I bet its the governments fault that all these aliens commit crimes like the third world criminals they are.

Give me a break, its the illegals fault for his actions, and nobody elses.
I'm definitely not a pro illegal advocate and yes the illegals themselves are responsible for the crimes they commit. But, as usual, the employers of the illegals are given a pass on responsibility even though they are the ones fully responsible for providing the jobs magnet that drew the illegals here in the first place. In addition, the cheap illegal labor, is so lucrative for the employers of illegals that they have tons of money to buy their own politicians, including Presidents, and to hire legions of activists to cry about the dire consequences that would befall the US economy if the illegals were kicked out, while we all know that it's just their own pocketbooks they're worried about. Probably the most important jobs these hired activists do is to deflect public sentiment against these employers of illegals. The fact is that employers of illegals are FULLY responsible for the illegal Mexican invasion and are FULLY responsible for paying off politicians to continue to allow a continuous supply of illegals.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS THE GOVERNMENT's FAULT FOR NOT ENFORCING ITS LAWS!!!!!
It's the government's fault for not enforcing it's immigration laws but it is the employers of illegals who desire the cheap labor who have bought off the politicians to the point that the government is too dysfunctional to enforce it's immigration laws.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
It's the government's fault for not enforcing it's immigration laws but it is the employers of illegals who desire the cheap labor who have bought off the politicians to the point that the government is too dysfunctional to enforce it's immigration laws.
And that's the illegals fault that the employers want cheap labor? We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 AM

334 posts, read 827,912 times
macmeal:
" "We" shouldn't be upset with illegals, because the proper authorities should be doing their jobs, in which case the NUMBERS of illegals would never have reached such 'critical mass' that they CAUSE upset in the locals. Illegals have been here forever...the CURRENT situation, though, is relatively recent. Among the racist and ill-informed 'rants' you see on this forum, lie a FAIR number of very legitimate, well-founded concerns."

yep

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
And that's the illegals fault that the employers want cheap labor? We have no one to blame but ourselves.
Who the hell is 'WE'? You got a mouse in your pocket??

Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Who the hell is 'WE'? You got a mouse in your pocket??
Supposably the Government represents us..

Old 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM

447 posts, read 798,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
There you go, blaming the government instead of the illegal aliens. What else would I expect from an alien advocate.

I bet its the governments fault that all these aliens commit crimes like the third world criminals they are.

Give me a break, its the illegals fault for his actions, and nobody elses.

since i started this thread, i thought i would comment on this....
when the government turns a blind eye to the illegal as they have done over the years, it is partially the governments fault for the crimes of the illegal...they have made us pay for the illegals crime, in our case, the illegal was uninsured, and my husbands hospital bills and lost wages(over one hundred thousand dollars) wound us up in bancrupcy court...we lost our home to a foreclosure, and even eleven years later, my husband still suffers from an ununited tibia, he walks on a broken leg, works 40 plus hours a week , and somehow has been able to survive ...
when the government arrests an illegal and doesnt deport that illegal it is a crime against the country and it's citizens.
i really dont think the person you were responding to sounded like they were advocating illegals.
sorry if you disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration