Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 03:38 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,867,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Immigrants entered via Ellis Island, health checked and those who were ill were turned back. Additionally, immigrants came expecting to make it on their own, not to receive social benefits.

D.C. is guilty of raiding the SS pot and it would be solvent otherwise. Bush tried to get his paws on Railroad Retirement claiming the gov't could handle it better than we could. We fought tooth and nail, and Bush lost that fight. Our RR is solvent b/c of that.

Very few people were turned back. There was also unaccompanied minors arriving at Ellis Island. They would have an address of a relative or family friend to go live with. This was even depicted in "The Godfather Part II"

You'll be glad to know its the same way today. Immigrants do not receive any financial help from the Govt. The only exception is for pregnant women.

Even if an immigrant becomes a US resident in the future they have to wait at least 5 years before receiving any type of welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,324,546 times
what do you call benefits - if nothing else, SCHOOL and the invariable breakfast/lunch programs - that illegally-present children get?

Old 07-26-2021, 07:12 PM

349 posts, read 450,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Very few people were turned back. There was also unaccompanied minors arriving at Ellis Island. They would have an address of a relative or family friend to go live with. This was even depicted in "The Godfather Part II"

You'll be glad to know its the same way today. Immigrants do not receive any financial help from the Govt. The only exception is for pregnant women.

Even if an immigrant becomes a US resident in the future they have to wait at least 5 years before receiving any type of welfare.
Yes lets pretend the circumstances and sheer numbers are all similar to back up your virtue signaling.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 PM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
Yes lets pretend the circumstances and sheer numbers are all similar to back up your virtue signaling.
I know, ridiculous isn't it? We were a sparsely populated country back then in need of manual laborers, not so today. That is why we have had to implement quotas throughout the years and require immigrants to have some skills to support themselves. It's like these fools don't have a brain in their head comparing 1900 to 2021.

This topic is about illegal aliens not "immigrants" anyway. They gain welfare through fraud and their anchor babies and cost us over $100 billion a year. They have no lawful right to be here or to work here.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 PM

8,592 posts, read 4,840,299 times
Ma is an Austrian National, came here in ‘73 and maintains her Austrian Passport. Pa’s side of the family is a bit more murky, apparently ended up here a little after 1800 and by the time of the Texas independence was already here in Texas (which, probably much to the chagrin of many a Texan, makes me as a Cali boy eligible for a “Texas Native†license plate). I’m married to a woman of mostly native descent, via what’s now El Salvador.

My Pa’s oldest friend, a guy who he’s known since the 70s is a Comanche and one of Quanah Parker’s 8273727374773 descendants.

So where does this coalesce? My Pa’s friend, who I’ll call Paul G., considers my wife one of his people owing to her “new world†blood (55% according to her sister’s 23andme, we ourselves have just never gotten around to doing our own). But more than that, it’s no coincidence that probably about half of the boomer/genx age part of my wife’s family is here and not in El Salvador.

So in a sense I see the native blood and regard folks from Mexico, Central, and South America more as the indigenous folks with first rights to be here, and add in the modern day mess which is much of that region. And it’s not insignificantly caused by American foreign interventionism in the past, somewhat analogous to what we are seeing today in Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s awful down there, and if you were living that experience, there’s a good chance you’d want out too.

I’ve also latched onto libertarianism, which preaches free movement.

Now, where does that clash with reality? In many places. True open borders (not the false open border narrative from the right) is clearly a bad idea, at least not for the foreseeable future; humans haven’t evolved sufficiently to make that even remotely plausible. I would like to see more legally lax borders, seeing as how folks are still able to cross in unhindered but for inhospitable terrain (that’s a different subject), I would much rather see the same amount come in and be health- and background checked instead. Also deny anybody who, while in our custody awaiting court proceedings, refuses to get the ‘Rona shots. Be pretty firm about any past legal problems or gaps in records, but at least perform vigorous due diligence owing to often shoddy recordkeeping in originating countries. In gun terms, I would make the border a “shall issueâ€, provided the requirements are solidly met, rather than a “may issue†matter.

And of course my signature view on immigration: more, different people in our cities and neighborhoods make for a richer, more interesting environment. As always I have to caveat that I came from a place which was only ~20% Caucasian, so it’s abnormal for me to be in a place which mostly contains people who look like me.

Last edited by jcp123; 07-26-2021 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 PM

1,733 posts, read 952,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Do&app=desktop

Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 PM

349 posts, read 450,467 times
If we only had illegal immigrants currently coming from Europe the numbers are so small we could eliminate ice. The numbers would barely move the needle.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
If we only had illegal immigrants currently coming from Europe the numbers are so small we could eliminate ice. The numbers would barely move the needle.
True but I oppose all illegal immigration no matter where they are from.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 AM

8,510 posts, read 7,497,884 times
I believe that the OP has me on ignore, but for the rest of you...

On an intellectual side, I get the argument against illegal immigration. The law is the law, and should be obeyed. The nation could and should do a better job of handling the issue; my objection to Trump's border wall was that it would turn out to be both expensive and ineffectual. And I do believe that illegal immigration wouldn't be happening so much if Americans weren't so willing to employ people who enter this country through extra-legal means - and there has never been a truly serious attempt to address this point.

On a more personal side, my grandmother was brought into this country illegally by her father when she was a minor. My great grandfather travelled and worked in the United States, and his wife back in their home country abandoned their children and ran off with another man. As a result, my grandmother and her sister entered this country in a boat rowed by her father, in the dark of the night, evading federal patrols while they did so. If my grandmother had not entered this country illegally, she wouldn't have met my grandfather, and given birth to my father. I literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for illegal immigration.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I believe that the OP has me on ignore, but for the rest of you...

On an intellectual side, I get the argument against illegal immigration. The law is the law, and should be obeyed. The nation could and should do a better job of handling the issue; my objection to Trump's border wall was that it would turn out to be both expensive and ineffectual. And I do believe that illegal immigration wouldn't be happening so much if Americans weren't so willing to employ people who enter this country through extra-legal means - and there has never been a truly serious attempt to address this point.

On a more personal side, my grandmother was brought into this country illegally by her father when she was a minor. My great grandfather travelled and worked in the United States, and his wife back in their home country abandoned their children and ran off with another man. As a result, my grandmother and her sister entered this country in a boat rowed by her father, in the dark of the night, evading federal patrols while they did so. If my grandmother had not entered this country illegally, she wouldn't have met my grandfather, and given birth to my father. I literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for illegal immigration.
What makes you believe that the walls are too expensive and ineffectual? Do I have to post the facts again that they are not and right from Homeland Security? Expensive? Illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year, loss of jobs, reduced wages, overcrowding, added crime opposed to a 1,000 mile long finished wall that would be $25 billion to build? You did take math in school, right?

Yes, the greedy employers are partially responsible for this but the illegals themselves are equally guilty. No one forces them over our border to work here and make themselves available at a cheaper rate. The Republicans tried to pass an e-verify bill several times but the Democrats won't sign it unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it! Let's prevent these illegals from getting into our country in the first place with good physical barriers since that is the case. Not only that but criminals and those from known terrorist countries are slipping through our border and they aren't looking for work!

So because you benefited personally from illegal immigration it's ok if the rest of us are paying through the nose and millions of illegal aliens are thumbing their noses at our immigration laws? What a lame and selfish excuse to defend illegal immigration. Just because someone's spouse abandons them is no viable excuse to violate our immigration laws nor to claim asylum in our country. Back on ignore you go.

Thanks for you reply though it's always funny and interesting to read all the lame excuses from the illegal alien defenders supporting illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration