Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 07:37 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,286,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I also had a new roof put on recently and the entire crew spoke English. You need to stop with your racist implications about white, English speaking Americans. It's hateful and ridiculous. Off to my ignore list you go!
You ask for various opinions and thoughts and those you don’t like go on your ignore list. Seems you only want to hear from people who support your narrative. I can only imagine how long your ignore list is. One day you will may reach a perfect place where only those that are in your own echo chamber are heard.
Then you’ll wonder if the whole world has gone crazy because you can’t believe anyone thinks different from you and public policy is moving in a direction that is so counterintuitive to anything you have ever heard or read. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:11 AM

1,719 posts, read 741,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
They actually don’t contradict each other. I support protecting the border to prevent any further illegal immigration but at the same time support a pathway to citizenship for those who have been living here (for decades i.ln many cases). DACA needs a pathway as well.
Thank you for explaining. I now understand more clearly what you meant.

How do you stand on illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for a short, not long, time? And how short is "short?" For the illegal aliens that have been living in the U.S. for a long time, what should be considered as "long?"

Do you have any ideas on how to better protect the border?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

These are real questions. I'm not trying to badger you. I'd like to know what you think.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 AM

63,300 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post

How do you stand on illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for a short, not long, time? And how short is "short?" For the illegal aliens that have been living in the U.S. for a long time, what should be considered as "long?"

These are real questions. I'm not trying to badger you. I'd like to know what you think.
How does creating a pathway to citizenship not encourage more illegals to come here? How do Americans get their jobs back, our overcrowded conditions and natural and social resources improved by amnesty? Why would the defenders of illegal aliens want to reward felony ID theft and tax evaders? These are the answers to my questions that I'd like to see but they never answer them or pretend that none of these things are a factor or aren't true.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,436,217 times
Quote:

This is arbitrary but I think 5 years would be a good starting point. Those who have been here that long likely have stable employment and have roots in the community. Those here less time could be slated for removal.

Quote:
Mostly I’d rely on the experts here, but I think where possible we should be taking advantage of newer technology at the border like drones and satelites. Adding more resources and judges at the border to help expedite asylum claims would be helpful. Longer term we should be looking at the asylum process to prevent large groups from showing up where only a tiny percentage qualify for asylum. There are many possible solutions to this. It is pretty clear to me that what is currently happening is unnecessary.

Quote:
There are things that could be done once inside to prevent future illegal immigrants from settling such as universal mandatory E-Verify for employers (with the RIDE enhancement) but also increasing temporary employment visas to ensure that agriculture and other sectors can meet their seasonal labor needs. Moves like this would address our labor needs while removing incentives to come here illegally going forward. Preventing access to housing, medical care, public education, etc. are other options.

Quote:
I’ve been on this board a long time. You can go back and see where I have done deeper dives on these sub-topics. Unfortunately very little fruitful dialogue comes of it because everything gets immediately shut down by incessant hardliners like old glory.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This is arbitrary but I think 5 years would be a good starting point. Those who have been here that long likely have stable employment and have roots in the community. Those here less time could be slated for removal.

Mostly I’d rely on the experts here, but I think where possible we should be taking advantage of newer technology at the border like drones and satelites. Adding more resources and judges at the border to help expedite asylum claims would be helpful. Longer term we should be looking at the asylum process to prevent large groups from showing up where only a tiny percentage qualify for asylum. There are many possible solutions to this. It is pretty clear to me that what is currently happening is unnecessary.

There are things that could be done once inside to prevent future illegal immigrants from settling such as universal mandatory E-Verify for employers (with the RIDE enhancement) but also increasing temporary employment visas to ensure that agriculture and other sectors can meet their seasonal labor needs. Moves like this would address our labor needs while removing incentives to come here illegally going forward. Preventing access to housing, medical care, public education, etc. are other options.

I’ve been on this board a long time. You can go back and see where I have done deeper dives on these sub-topics. Unfortunately very little fruitful dialogue comes of it because everything gets immediately shut down by incessant hardliners like old glory.
Thank you!

Old 07-28-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
I couldn't help but read the comments of the one you are replying to. First off drones have little effect on securing the border. High tech stuff was tried before and it failed on it's own. They are only useful if there is a good physical barrier to accompany them. The reason that he and the other defenders of illegal aliens don't want the wall is because they are 90% effective and they can't have that because that's what actually works.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...r-more-secure/

Why should we spend our tax dollars for more judges at the border? Trump's wait in Mexico policy was much more effective and less costly to us.

So because an illegal managed to evade the law for 5 or more years they should get a pass on our immigration laws? My guess is that most illegals have been here for 5 plus years as it peaked 20 years ago so that would mean legalizing the majority of them. They are working a job they aren't entitled to by committing felony ID theft or tax evasion and they should be rewarded for that to? Why not give that job to an American instead? These illegals had no right to put roots down in our communities either.

The Democrats won't sign an e-verify bill unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it and I'm sure that poster supports the Democrats. How do we stop the employers from paying their illegal workers in cash? E-verify won't stop that, thus the wall. Better to deter as many as we can from getting into our country in the first place than to allow them to get in here where they are are harder to weed out and much more expensive to do so. The Democrats would never go along with preventing them access to housing, medical care, public education, etc. and they would still come here for birthright citizenship for their kids (and the Democrats would be opposed to changing that to) without the job incentives in place.

We already have unlimited visas for farm workers but most illegals aren't working in that industry anyway. They have taken once good paying jobs such as in the construction industry, etc. How do Americans get those jobs back if illegals are allowed to remain here. He and the other defenders of illegal aliens never answer that question! They never answer how it would alleviate the crowded conditions that they have cause either nor the further depletion of our natural and resources. Crickets.......

I have given very good reasons not to amnesty/legalize millions of illegal aliens besides it makes a mockery out of our immigration laws but that makes me a hard liner???

Old 07-28-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I couldn't help but read the comments of the one you are replying to. First off drones have little effect on securing the border. High tech stuff was tried before and it failed on it's own. They are only useful if there is a good physical barrier to accompany them. The reason that he and the other defenders of illegal aliens don't want the wall is because they are 90% effective and they can't have that because that's what actually works.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...r-more-secure/

Why should we spend our tax dollars for more judges at the border? Trump's wait in Mexico policy was much more effective and less costly to us.

So because an illegal managed to evade the law for 5 or more years they should get a pass on our immigration laws? My guess is that most illegals have been here for 5 plus years as it peaked 20 years ago so that would mean legalizing the majority of them. They are working a job they aren't entitled to by committing felony ID theft or tax evasion and they should be rewarded for that to? Why not give that job to an American instead? These illegals had no right to put roots down in our communities either.

The Democrats won't sign an e-verify bill unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it and I'm sure that poster supports the Democrats. How do we stop the employers from paying their illegal workers in cash? E-verify won't stop that, thus the wall. Better to deter as many as we can from getting into our country in the first place than to allow them to get in here where they are are harder to weed out and much more expensive to do so. The Democrats would never go along with preventing them access to housing, medical care, public education, etc. and they would still come here for birthright citizenship for their kids (and the Democrats would be opposed to changing that to) without the job incentives in place.

We already have unlimited visas for farm workers but most illegals aren't working in that industry anyway. They have taken once good paying jobs such as in the construction industry, etc. How do Americans get those jobs back if illegals are allowed to remain here. He and the other defenders of illegal aliens never answer that question! They never answer how it would alleviate the crowded conditions that they have cause either nor the further depletion of our natural and resources. Crickets.......

I have given very good reasons not to amnesty/legalize millions of illegal aliens besides it makes a mockery out of our immigration laws but that makes me a hard liner???
I was thanking Cruz for giving his input. I don't agree with all he wrote but I'm glad he gave a more in-depth answer. Many posters don't bother.

I'm sure I'm more "hard line" (is that supposed to be a bad thing?) than you are, regarding illegal immigration. I think more along the lines of the Israelis and their wall.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I was thanking Cruz for giving his input. I don't agree with all he wrote but I'm glad he gave a more in-depth answer. Many posters don't bother.

I'm sure I'm more "hard line" (is that supposed to be a bad thing?) than you are, regarding illegal immigration. I think more along the lines of the Israelis and their wall.
According to Cruz and his fellow defenders of illegal aliens unless you want amnesty for millions of illegal aliens then you are a hardliner.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
According to Cruz and his fellow defenders of illegal aliens unless you want amnesty for millions of illegal aliens then you are a hardliner.
I'm harder than that!

Old 07-29-2021, 02:24 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,324,731 times
Quote:
Again, she/he provides no link to their claims and even if it would cost $40 billion to complete the wall it's still far cheaper than the social costs of illegal aliens. And once again, no one has successfully sawed through, climbed over or under the Trump walls and managed to escape into our country before the Border Patrol caught them. One illegal broke both legs trying to jump over the wall. Think he escaped into our country???
this is incorrect, to the extent that makeshift ladders have been found abandoned and no illegals in sight. It only bears reason that a few did sneak over that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration