Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 05:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 741,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I recently had a roof put on my house.
I did not check every person who was on my roof. For that matter, I do not care. I contracted with a roofer and he arranged the job.

But for whatever it's worth, they were not speaking English. They arrived at 6AM and by 6PM they had completed the entire job of re-roofing my 2000 S/Ft home, my shop, and my tool shed. I have not found a single roofing nail in my yard. I believe there were about 8 men in the team. They sent 1 man to buy lunch while they worked. He came flying around the corner with lunch for everyone and they all took a 20 minute break to eat, except for 1 man who kept working; I don't know why.
You could not put a team of English speakers together who could compete with them. Contractors do not even try.
My experience has been different than yours, and mixed.

When my roof was re-roofed, the all-Hispanic crew did indeed work well and quickly. However, they left nails all over my yard, driveway, sidewalk, etc. I picked nails up for months. Several of my trees and flowering shrubs were badly damaged by stuff being thrown down carelessly from the roof.

My oak trees were trimmed by a 3/4 white, 1/4 black ex-con crew. They did an excellent job and were careful not to damage my plants. They worked very quickly and diligently.

My metal back yard fence was built by an all-Anglo crew. The work was superb and quickly done. No damage.

My limestone paving was done by an all-Hispanic crew. They worked extremely hard. The finished project was good but not excellent. They cancelled half the time. Minor damage.

The all-Hispanic garbage collectors were cheery and on time. However, they left garbage strewn all up and down the street.

The next garbage collectors were black. They're poker-faced, polite, and on time. They pick up any loose pieces of garbage.

My landscaper is Anglo. He does a very good job, but I have to argue each time with him about what I want done. (He thinks women are less intelligent and capable than men.)

Every (literally every) East Asian person I've encountered in banks, stores, restaurants, etc. have been extremely knowledgeable, efficient, fast, polite, on time, and pleasant. No tardiness or cancellations.

As I say, a mixed bag.

Last edited by Bentonite; 07-29-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 05:30 PM

22,540 posts, read 12,111,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
All of my family immigrated to this country prior to the 1940s.

I am very supportive of legal immigration and allowing those with legitimate claims to be able to seek asylum in our country, pending background checks obviously. This benefits our economy, culture, and it's morally the right thing to do.

I believe those who are already here illegally should pay a fine and/or perform community service and then have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency, pending a background check, because I am not for spending billions of dollars deporting people who follow our laws after making the one mistake of not applying to become residents. Obviously, if someone is here illegally and commits crimes while in our country, they should be deported after serving their prison sentence as is generally done under current law. As far as those who are entering our country illegally now, I think we should have a temporary worker program that allows people to apply for a work permit they can get if they pass a background check and prove they have a job lined after a period of time so there is no reason to illegally enter the country.
Per the bolded: The term "honest illegal alien" is an oxymoron. Illegal aliens become criminals the minute they either sneak across the border or overstay a visa. In order to survive here, they have to break even more laws. It's illegal for them to work here. Thus, the vast majority either use a fake SSN(that fake SSN could well belong to a living person who gets put into a world of hurt just like an ID theft victim) or they use a stolen ID. If not that, they get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. Americans go to jail for that. Yes, a very rare few use ITINs, however doing so doesn't absolve them of being here illegally.

Giving illegal aliens a green card is a slap in the face to those who obeyed our immigration laws to come here.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:48 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,436,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded: The term "honest illegal alien" is an oxymoron. Illegal aliens become criminals the minute they either sneak across the border or overstay a visa. In order to survive here, they have to break even more laws. It's illegal for them to work here. Thus, the vast majority either use a fake SSN(that fake SSN could well belong to a living person who gets put into a world of hurt just like an ID theft victim) or they use a stolen ID. If not that, they get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. Americans go to jail for that. Yes, a very rare few use ITINs, however doing so doesn't absolve them of being here illegally.

Giving illegal aliens a green card is a slap in the face to those who obeyed our immigration laws to come here.
What about DACA kids brought here against their will? They could fit the description of honest illegal alien no?

Old 07-29-2021, 11:14 PM

22,540 posts, read 12,111,709 times
Some try to exempt DACAs by saying that they are honest. The few honest ones in the group work to change their status to foreign student. After all, that's what they are.

For example, take Student A. Student A was born and raised in Mexico. When it comes time for Student A to apply to college, he decides that he wants to go to a state college in the US. He applies to attend said college and gets a student visa. He, also, has to pay out-of-state rates.

Student B was brought to the US illegally. When it comes time for him to go to college, he chooses a state college in the state where his family illegally resides. Since Student B is a DACA recipient, he gets in-state tuition. Meanwhile, a US citizen in a neighboring state applies to that same college. He has to pay out-of-state rates.

Illegal aliens brought here as minors are considered to be out of status when they turn 18 1/2. It's up to them to correct their status. When Obama dictated DACA, it was a slap in the face to legal immigrants as well as foreign students who obeyed our laws and got student visas. Not to mention that US citizen in the next state over that, like the foreign student, has to pay full freight.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:28 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,436,217 times
Quote:
Some try to exempt DACAs by saying that they are honest. The few honest ones in the group work to change their status to foreign student. After all, that's what they are.

For example, take Student A. Student A was born and raised in Mexico. When it comes time for Student A to apply to college, he decides that he wants to go to a state college in the US. He applies to attend said college and gets a student visa. He, also, has to pay out-of-state rates.

Student B was brought to the US illegally. When it comes time for him to go to college, he chooses a state college in the state where his family illegally resides. Since Student B is a DACA recipient, he gets in-state tuition. Meanwhile, a US citizen in a neighboring state applies to that same college. He has to pay out-of-state rates.

Illegal aliens brought here as minors are considered to be out of status when they turn 18 1/2. It's up to them to correct their status. When Obama dictated DACA, it was a slap in the face to legal immigrants as well as foreign students who obeyed our laws and got student visas. Not to mention that US citizen in the next state over that, like the foreign student, has to pay full freight.
Yeah I guess it doesn’t trigger me to let the DACA kid who lived most of his/her life in the US go to a state school for college. I don’t see that as a “slap in the face†at all.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:05 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:

I agree with you, but one solution might be to get rid of in-state and out-or-state tuition. Charge all the same amount. That’s a different topic though. It removes the incentive for a DACA student to be student B rather than be student A.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:11 AM

2,430 posts, read 1,559,027 times
I believe that laws in this country should be followed. Now if the law somehow seems unfair, then get the law changed. Any law broken should have a negative consequence appropriate for the broken law. Such as driving over the speed limit and pay a fine. Drive over the speed limit many times in a short period and lose your driving privilege.

I believe that illegal(unconstitutional) executive actions should be immediately reversed. That said, there is no such thing as DACA.

I believe that the current immigration polices we have now are sufficient. What needs to happen is that existing laws need be to enforced.

I believe that rewarding any illegal behavior is wrong. It causes more of the same behavior.

I believe that any city acting as a sanctuary for lawbreakers should have federal monies withheld from them until such time as the comply with current US laws.

I believe that deported individuals should be encouraged to take their minor children with them, regardless of their birth nation. That said, I believe that for US citizenship at least 1 parent should be a US citizen. Do away with the citizenship birthright for those not in the country legally.

We hear a lot about the impact to the family of illegals. How come the same compassion isn't warranted for legal US citizens that end up on the wrong side of the law and end up in prison. Aren't they also separated from their families? Don't their children need the free to raise & support them? We need to stop cherry picking situations and hold all people in our country to the laws of the land. As stated before, if you don't like the law, then encourage those who make the laws to change them.

TLDR version. Send lawbreakers through the justice system. Put the guilty ones in jail. Deport the people here illegally. Change laws you don't like. Stop rewarding illegal behaviors.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM

63,308 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I believe that laws in this country should be followed. Now if the law somehow seems unfair, then get the law changed. Any law broken should have a negative consequence appropriate for the broken law. Such as driving over the speed limit and pay a fine. Drive over the speed limit many times in a short period and lose your driving privilege.

I believe that illegal(unconstitutional) executive actions should be immediately reversed. That said, there is no such thing as DACA.

I believe that the current immigration polices we have now are sufficient. What needs to happen is that existing laws need be to enforced.

I believe that rewarding any illegal behavior is wrong. It causes more of the same behavior.

I believe that any city acting as a sanctuary for lawbreakers should have federal monies withheld from them until such time as the comply with current US laws.

I believe that deported individuals should be encouraged to take their minor children with them, regardless of their birth nation. That said, I believe that for US citizenship at least 1 parent should be a US citizen. Do away with the citizenship birthright for those not in the country legally.

We hear a lot about the impact to the family of illegals. How come the same compassion isn't warranted for legal US citizens that end up on the wrong side of the law and end up in prison. Aren't they also separated from their families? Don't their children need the free to raise & support them? We need to stop cherry picking situations and hold all people in our country to the laws of the land. As stated before, if you don't like the law, then encourage those who make the laws to change them.

TLDR version. Send lawbreakers through the justice system. Put the guilty ones in jail. Deport the people here illegally. Change laws you don't like. Stop rewarding illegal behaviors.
Thanks for your reply to my topic and thank you for supporting our immigration laws and the enforcement of them.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:16 PM

33,390 posts, read 12,686,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Can't refute what is being said so attack grammar and punctuation. A true sign of someone who hasn't a leg to stand on.

There are people who do want open borders with no immigration laws. Never said they post in this forum.

WTH does me possibly getting all of my SS back have to do with any SS taxes that some illegals pay in? As I pointed out that is no reason to support illegal immigration anyway.

It would be nice if people would stay on topic which was do you or do you not support illegal immigration and why and tell us a little something about yourself. Only those who oppose illegal immigration have done so so far.

Because you brought it up as a point to illustrate that you following the law alone re that subject....before criticizing illegals....insulates you from any hypocrisy on that subject and, that other poster is right....it doesn't. What would insulate you from hypocrisy on that subject is both following the law (as you mentioned) and also not taking back a penny more than you put in for both Social Security and Medicare.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:16 PM

9,331 posts, read 16,716,100 times
I am a senior who is against illegal immigration. They are breaking the law entering this country. They are from many different countries, including Europe and China. If they are here illegally I am not sure how they are supporting our social security as one poster stated. The taxpayer will be the one to pay for their healthcare, food and shelter, while many Americans, such as seniors, Vets, disabled, homeless are left by the way side. They are bringing disease and drugs into the country which will affect many in our population who cannot afford healthcare.

If they can afford to pay people thousands of dollars to bring them here illegally they can pay the fee to come legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration