Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 11:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 740,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think I made myself clear; I did not address illegal immigration at all.
So do you support or object to illegal migration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 12:14 PM

63,284 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think I made myself clear; I did not address illegal immigration at all.
But that's what this topic is about so why are you addressing legal immigration?

You addressed illegal immigration in a couple of earlier posts claiming that we want you to "hate" illegals, that the employers don't hire them out of greed and implied that Americans don't show up for work which is total BS!

Old 07-27-2021, 12:53 PM

I will say succinctly about myself that I'm a legal American citizen, whose ancestors immigrated to the U.S. legally and became legal U.S. citizens, and I oppose illegal immigration. I also oppose admittance to the U.S. from false refugee claims. In addition, I believe the U.S. cannot and should not admit every genuine refugee, because several billion people around the world fit that profile. The U.S. needs to take care of its own, legal, citizens first and shouldn't be expected to rescue every unfortunate soul on this planet. I wish the world was a better place for everyone.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:27 PM

8,497 posts, read 7,492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Sorry, but your first paragraph doesn't dovetail with the subject matter.
I was trying for an analogy...it appears that it wasn't an apt one.

Quote:
Yes, of course you exist because of an incident of illegal migration. Does that mean you condone ongoing illegal migration?
It means that I recognize that I exist because my great grandfather illegally entered the country with his children. I would consider myself a hypocrite if didn't at least acknowledge this fact.

It's why I don't see eye to eye with the hardliners on illegal immigration. I'm not in favor of it, but I understand why it happens, and I believe that there's probably a middle ground that will resolve the issue.

Quote:
I exist because of an incident of weather. My mother and her family left Louisiana because of an approaching hurricane. She met my father in the state she fled to, and they eventually married and had children.

I'm grateful my parents met each other and created me and my siblings. However, I don't condone ongoing hurricanes.
Hurricanes are an act of nature. Entering the US illegally is not an act of nature. Not the same.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 PM

8,497 posts, read 7,492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I mean, he wouldn't exist with his current genetic makeup, but he'd exist most likely. That was an odd one, and not the proclamation of someone using reason.
No, I wouldn't exist. I'm not simply my genetic sequence, but also the sum of my life experience. Having the same mother but a different father would mean that I wouldn't be me.

And to really go down the rabbit hole...my mother might never had married nor had children, or she would have married but had children markedly different than my siblings and myself. Maybe the illegal immigration of my grandmother prevented at least two or more alternate people from existing instead of me.

I just know that I exist partly due to an illegal act committed by my immediate ancestors; I simply acknowledge it and and show that it tempers my attitude towards the subject.

And since my story and my view point don't match expectations, people seem to feel threatened by it.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,782 posts, read 81,743,750 times
Most important to me is that we have immigration laws, and like all other laws, they should be enforced. Why should the people who want to move here now be able to skirt the law when so many others followed it in the past? My father came over from Europe with his parents at age 3 in 1922, my Mother was born here but her father came over in 1902, her mother's parents came over in 1880. All stopped at Ellis Island and did all of the necessary paperwork, and became U.S. citizens as soon as they were able. Whether those here illegally should have some kind of process to stay is another issue, but we should do whatever it takes to prevent additional illegal entry into the country.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I was trying for an analogy...it appears that it wasn't an apt one.

It means that I recognize that I exist because my great grandfather illegally entered the country with his children. I would consider myself a hypocrite if didn't at least acknowledge this fact.

It's why I don't see eye to eye with the hardliners on illegal immigration. I'm not in favor of it, but I understand why it happens, and I believe that there's probably a middle ground that will resolve the issue.

Hurricanes are an act of nature. Entering the US illegally is not an act of nature. Not the same.
O course you acknowledge that fact. It's part of your personal history. No one is saying you shouldn't acknowledge it.

Most posters here understand why illegal migration happens, too. What do you consider a "middle ground?" Do you have any suggestions for it?

Of course they're not the same. I was trying to point out that certain circumstances caused my parents to meet. But I don't condone hurricanes because one directly caused my parents to meet and produce me. Just as your particular family circumstances produced you. No offense, but it's rather egotistical that you seem to at least partially condone illegal migration, an act that affects millions of people and costs billions of dollars, because you were born as a result of it.

Last edited by Bentonite; 07-27-2021 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, I wouldn't exist. I'm not simply my genetic sequence, but also the sum of my life experience. Having the same mother but a different father would mean that I wouldn't be me.

And to really go down the rabbit hole...my mother might never had married nor had children, or she would have married but had children markedly different than my siblings and myself. Maybe the illegal immigration of my grandmother prevented at least two or more alternate people from existing instead of me.

I just know that I exist partly due to an illegal act committed by my immediate ancestors; I simply acknowledge it and and show that it tempers my attitude towards the subject.

And since my story and my view point don't match expectations, people seem to feel threatened by it.
No one on this board seems "threatened" by your paradoxical story and view point. It seems a bit odd, but then many paradoxes are. It's called "being human!"

Old 07-27-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
No one on this board seems "threatened" by your paradoxical story and view point. It seems a bit odd, but then many paradoxes are. It's called "being human!"
Odd indeed. It's ludicrous to support illegal immigration "in general" based on the reasons they provided. It makes no sense at all!

Threatened? WTH? Sounds like someone is grasping at straws to support an indefensible position.

A middle ground? Hmm, they sound like an amnesty proponent and again their personal reasons make no sense at all.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
O course you acknowledge that fact. It's part of your personal history. No one is saying you shouldn't acknowledge it.

Most posters here understand why illegal migration happens, too. What do you consider a "middle ground?" Do you have any suggestions for it?

Of course they're not the same. I was trying to point out that certain circumstances caused my parents to meet. But I don't condone hurricanes because one directly caused my parents to meet and produce me. Just as your particular family circumstances produced you. No offense, but it's rather egotistical that you seem to at least partially condone illegal migration, an act that affects millions of people and costs billions of dollars, because you were born as a result of it.
Thanks again. Their position is egotistical considering what a negative impact illegal immigration has on most Americans. I guess with some it's all about them and to hell with everyone else and the laws of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration