Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 07:47 AM

8,441 posts, read 7,457,816 times

Advertisements

Oh, I'm not on ignore.

But, then I'm back on ignore.

OG just wanted to shout at me. He's not here to listen, just have his beliefs confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What makes you believe that the walls are too expensive and ineffectual? Do I have to post the facts again that they are not and right from Homeland Security? Expensive? Illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year, loss of jobs, reduced wages, overcrowding, added crime opposed to a 1,000 mile long finished wall that would be $25 billion to build? You did take math in school, right?
Yes, I majored in Mathematics and Computer Science in college. I also worked in financial services for about 15 years.

While I acknowledge that there's government money spent on people who are in this country without proper authorization, I don't believe that your $100 billion a year is entirely accurate, as I sourced it to FAIR, which is rather extreme in their views. It also doesn't take into effect the economic benefit that US citizens realize from having a workforce willing to perform hard labor for low wages, from receiving payroll taxes from people who will never be able to claim benefits, and from sales taxes collected from the undocumented.

Trump's wall was broken through, using a battery powered reciprocating saw and a car scissors jack to cut one of the bollards and move it to the side. There's videos of people making wooden ladders out of scrap and using them to scale Trump's Wall. The entire cost of Trump's wall was projected to be somewhere north of $40 billion, and yet it gets defeated even before it's completed, using materials that cost less than $300.

Quote:
Yes, the greedy employers are partially responsible for this but the illegals themselves are equally guilty. No one forces them over our border to work here and make themselves available at a cheaper rate. The Republicans tried to pass an e-verify bill several times but the Democrats won't sign it unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it! Let's prevent these illegals from getting into our country in the first place with good physical barriers since that is the case. Not only that but criminals and those from known terrorist countries are slipping through our border and they aren't looking for work!
A rather simplistic view, I believe. And rather "shrieky". I don't believe that attempting to have a reasonable discourse with someone so emotional on this topic would be fruitful. And, since I'm still on ignore, it would be a rather one-sided discourse.

Quote:
So because you benefited personally from illegal immigration it's ok if the rest of us are paying through the nose and millions of illegal aliens are thumbing their noses at our immigration laws? What a lame and selfish excuse to defend illegal immigration. Just because someone's spouse abandons them is no viable excuse to violate our immigration laws nor to claim asylum in our country.
I benefitted personally? I owe my actual existence to Grandma entering the country without proper documentation. Forgive me, but I would find it incredibly hypocritical of myself to be as hardline against illegal immigration as you are.

Quote:
Back on ignore you go.
But of course. This is the sound of a mind snapping shut.

Quote:
Thanks for you reply though it's always funny and interesting to read all the lame excuses from the illegal alien defenders supporting illegal immigration.
Oh, no thanks is necessary.

But then, you won't be seeing my response...will you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:18 AM

1,719 posts, read 737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I believe that the OP has me on ignore, but for the rest of you...

On an intellectual side, I get the argument against illegal immigration. The law is the law, and should be obeyed. The nation could and should do a better job of handling the issue; my objection to Trump's border wall was that it would turn out to be both expensive and ineffectual. And I do believe that illegal immigration wouldn't be happening so much if Americans weren't so willing to employ people who enter this country through extra-legal means - and there has never been a truly serious attempt to address this point.

On a more personal side, my grandmother was brought into this country illegally by her father when she was a minor. My great grandfather travelled and worked in the United States, and his wife back in their home country abandoned their children and ran off with another man. As a result, my grandmother and her sister entered this country in a boat rowed by her father, in the dark of the night, evading federal patrols while they did so. If my grandmother had not entered this country illegally, she wouldn't have met my grandfather, and given birth to my father. I literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for illegal immigration.
But none of us would exist if (excepting sperm banks, artificial insemination, etc.) our parents hadn't met. What does that have to do with illegal migration? They're two entirely different subjects.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM

25,646 posts, read 17,391,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malee33 View Post
........... Many millions of immigrants enter legally, follow our laws and are only a benefit to our nation..........
Part of the problem is in a normal year there are hardly 1M legal immigrants allowed in, and certainly not "many millions". 2019, the last year that could be called normal, about 850,000 visas were granted to relatives of those already here and those who were granted asylum.

Most people assume, just as you do, that "many millions" are allowed in and one just has to simply be patient. The fact is, those with no family connection will never be allowed in. "Wait your turn" has no meaning.

Officially, congress has set the limit at 675,000 per year. But that number is flexible in order to accommodate those with needed skills and those who truly need asylum.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:00 AM

8,441 posts, read 7,457,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
But none of us would exist if (excepting sperm banks, artificial insemination, etc.) our parents hadn't met. What does that have to do with illegal migration? They're two entirely different subjects.
I recall the case of a die-hard PETA activist who lobbied against pharmaceutical corporations for their use of animals; she was revealed to be a type 1 diabetic that was dependent upon insulin injections, derived from the pancreases of slaughtered pigs. She was labelled a hypocrite.

The circumstance of my existence is entirely dependent upon an incidence of illegal immigration.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I recall the case of a die-hard PETA activist who lobbied against pharmaceutical corporations for their use of animals; she was revealed to be a type 1 diabetic that was dependent upon insulin injections, derived from the pancreases of slaughtered pigs. She was labelled a hypocrite.

The circumstance of my existence is entirely dependent upon an incidence of illegal immigration.
Sorry, but your first paragraph doesn't dovetail with the subject matter.

Yes, of course you exist because of an incident of illegal migration. Does that mean you condone ongoing illegal migration?

I exist because of an incident of weather. My mother and her family left Louisiana because of an approaching hurricane. She met my father in the state she fled to, and they eventually married and had children.

I'm grateful my parents met each other and created me and my siblings. However, I don't condone ongoing hurricanes.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:37 AM

63,094 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Sorry, but your first paragraph doesn't dovetail with the subject matter.

Yes, of course you exist because of an incident of illegal migration. Does that mean you condone ongoing illegal migration?

I exist because of an incident of weather. My mother and her family left Louisiana because of an approaching hurricane. She met my father in the state she fled to, and they eventually married and had children.

I'm grateful my parents met each other and created me and my siblings. However, I don't condone ongoing hurricanes.
Well stated!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:40 AM

63,094 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Part of the problem is in a normal year there are hardly 1M legal immigrants allowed in, and certainly not "many millions". 2019, the last year that could be called normal, about 850,000 visas were granted to relatives of those already here and those who were granted asylum.

Most people assume, just as you do, that "many millions" are allowed in and one just has to simply be patient. The fact is, those with no family connection will never be allowed in. "Wait your turn" has no meaning.

Officially, congress has set the limit at 675,000 per year. But that number is flexible in order to accommodate those with needed skills and those who truly need asylum.
So what? Are you saying that our immigration quotas should fit the needs of foreigners above our own needs? Not making the quota does not justify entering our country illegally.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So what? Are you saying that our immigration quotas should fit the needs of foreigners above our own needs? Agree with you, OG. Not making the quota does not justify entering our country illegally. Agree with you, OG.
I can just imagine myself telling Ireland or Guatemala or Russia "You are going to adjust your immigration quotas to MY desires, and you are going to admit ME and MY GROUP illegally into your country on an infinite basis."

What presumption some people have ...

Old 07-27-2021, 10:25 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,319,178 times
Quote:
I mean, he wouldn't exist with his current genetic makeup, but he'd exist most likely. That was an odd one, and not the proclamation of someone using reason.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:39 AM

25,646 posts, read 17,391,957 times
Quote:

Quote:
So what? Are you saying that our immigration quotas should fit the needs of foreigners above our own needs? Not making the quota does not justify entering our country illegally.
I think I made myself clear; I did not address illegal immigration at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration