Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
It must be nice not having to compete with them for jobs...
You can mow my lawn if you want, Guy. That'd really stick it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'm sorry you've experienced the adverse effects of illegal immigration and I agree that I'm lucky to be in a position where low-skilled illegal immigrants will never compete for my job (because they'd need seven years of expensive, post-secondary education to be licensed and they'd need to be fluent in English in order to perform it). I won't dodge the fact that this DOES play into my view of illegal immigration. If I were personally being affected maybe I would feel differently.
Then PLEASE try to empathize with those of us who ARE paying the price. Fellow American citizens, who through no fault of their own, have watched their wages shrink while their bills have multiplied over the last 20 years.

Have a little sympathy for US, dammit.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I would like to undercut him, by doing it for 25% cheaper.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Whats affecting work more? Illegals or the housing bust?

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-30-2008 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: referenced a deleted post

Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Then PLEASE try to empathize with those of us who ARE paying the price. Fellow American citizens, who through no fault of their own, have watched their wages shrink while their bills have multiplied over the last 20 years.

Absolutely. What this illegal invasion has done to wages and American jobs in industries such as construction is disgusting. So many mom and pop construction companies get run out of business because other use cheap illegal labor. Why is there not more outrage? If a company were "getting ahead" by breaking other laws-say "cooking the books" there would be much more outrage. If a company profits in ANY way through illegal means-whether that means using illegal labor, cooking the books or whatever- there should be mass outrage and the company should face a severe penalty.

Nicolem

Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Good one.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Whats affecting work more? Illegals or the housing bust?
The 'housing bust' is a recent phenomenon, while illegals have been negatively affecting construction wages for 20 years. And the 'housing bust' hasn't really affected me, I work in the commercial side of construction.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:

I do have sympathy for the people who have been adversely affected by immigration. It IS - believe it or not - one thing that I do consider when formulating my opinions on the matter. However, as I will continue to say, I believe that with the current 2008 immigration numbers* it would cost this country more (monetarily and socially) if all the "illegals" were deported than it would to just let them be or to give them amnesty.

*My opinion could change if illegal immigration really DID spiral out of control and the economy couldn't absorb all of the extra workers.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Quote:
The 'housing bust' is a recent phenomenon, while illegals have been negatively affecting construction wages for 20 years. And the 'housing bust' hasn't really affected me, I work in the commercial side of construction.
Your wage has been affected? One of my family members has been in construction, he's actually been earning more since he first started. Although, right now there isn't much work to go around here in California.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Your wage has been affected? One of my family members has been in construction, he's actually been earning more since he first started. Although, right now there isn't much work to go around here in California.
That was what I was about to say. I had a few friends who were raking it in(in exchange for hardwork of course), and the only thing that stopped the gravy train was the bust. Construction has slowed down all over.

Pretty sad to see some of those same guys out of work now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration