Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,914,276 times

Advertisements

This is for all those people in here that keep telling us all how the second generation always speaks English and in fact, most don't know Spanish fluently. Of course some, like myself, have said it was untrue and this article basically proves the point myself and others have made.

74% speak Spanish at home (broken link)

"Border communities like El Paso, by virtue of their proximity to the home land, will continue to have tremendous linguistic renewal," he said. "People here, even those who have been in the country various generations, will retain their language much more than the Hispanic populations formed in the interior of the United States."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,510,236 times
Quote:
"Spanish was my first language and it's the language that my parents speak, so I just use it when I'm there. I don't even think about it," said Mariana Solis, a registered nurse who grew up in the Lower Valley. "And although I speak English, I sometimes feel more comfortable speaking Spanish. It's like going back home."
Perhaps if she spoke English at home her parents could learn the language. For some, this will never truly be home. They are here for what this country offers, but their allegiance and love remain "back home."

Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps if she spoke English at home her parents could learn the language. For some, this will never truly be home. They are here for what this country offers, but their allegiance and love remain "back home."
BINGO!!!! I see it every day here in CA and I saw it all over the southwest part of this country when I traveled for work.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,462,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is for all those people in here that keep telling us all how the second generation always speaks English and in fact, most don't know Spanish fluently. Of course some, like myself, have said it was untrue and this article basically proves the point myself and others have made.

"Border communities like El Paso, by virtue of their proximity to the home land, will continue to have tremendous linguistic renewal," he said. "People here, even those who have been in the country various generations, will retain their language much more than the Hispanic populations formed in the interior of the United States."
This crackpot seems to think this is something to celebrate. Maybe to him it is? All I know is that it will be kind of hard to get into Stanford or MIT if you only speak Spanish.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This crackpot seems to think this is something to celebrate. Maybe to him it is? All I know is that it will be kind of hard to get into Stanford or MIT if you only speak Spanish.
Affirmative action is the key for these people, as it was for some that happen to running for higher ofices in this country.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,462,506 times
Quote:
Affirmative action is the key for these people, as it was for some that happen to running for higher ofices in this country.
I had forgotten about that. I suppose they would just demand bilingual classes.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,510,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I had forgotten about that. I suppose they would just demand bilingual classes.
And of course, they would get it. Otherwise, the schools would be discriminating against the poor unfortunate "immigrants."

Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times
I see it every day at our kid's school. There are entire families walking out speaking Spanish.

Oh well, there are plenty of labor jobs that need tended to.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
Quote:
[sarcasm]
Affirmative Action for which Hispanics? Just the little brown Indian/Mestizo ones or do the Santiago Creels (the former Secretary of the Interior was quite 'White' in appearance) of Mexico qualify as well? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Creel
[/sarcasm]

The above was directed towards APJ's fears-----------not APJ himself.

As for further away from the border assimilation being much greater..........that was true 30 years ago. I knew a Latino from Chicago while still living in the Wash DC area who admitted that the 'Hispanic' was 'knocked out of her' as a child----------she was essentially Anglo culturally.

The message I get is: assimilate or be sidelined.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,633,555 times
this only proves that in some places, like EP, people speak more spanish than english. this is one city.
and luckily a city i dont live in.(not because the spanish thing tho.)

in CALI its a different story.
but EP is texas. i kind of expect that from texas. but more particularly its a border city. one that has a twin city ciudad juarez. its one big metropolitan area. its not suprising that this is the case in EP.

might even be the case in SD,Ca. with its proximity to TJ. but who knows.

im just glad in CA, the trend is for assimilation and english speaking.

anyhow, how did this become about affirmative action?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration