Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

This question is for people who are not obviously of Mexican or Latin American ancestry. A few times (and always in an illegal alien heavy area) I have had illegal aliens come up to me and automatically speak to me in Spanish, without even asking me if I spoke Spanish. As if I am supposed to know it!!

Now I understand why if its true some French people will refuse to speak English to American tourists even if they understand English if the American is rude and doesn't ask first if the Frenchman speaks English. Even though I am conversationally fluent in Spanish, I refuse to speak it to illegal aliens because this is America and they should learn our language here. On the other hand if I travel to Mexico I will try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not demand that the native people cater to me.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This question is for people who are not obviously of Mexican or Latin American ancestry...
Why?..

Quote:
...A few times (and always in an illegal alien heavy area) I have had illegal aliens come up to me and automatically speak to me in Spanish, without even asking me if I spoke Spanish...
Define "illegal alien heavy area". How are you identifying them as illegal aliens? What are examples (in Spanish, to get the true context, it will then be translated to English) of what they are saying to you?

Quote:
...As if I am supposed to know it!!...
But you state below that you do know it, maybe they can sense that, or that is common for the "illegal alien heavy area"...

Quote:
...Now I understand why if its true some French people will refuse to speak English to American tourists even if they understand English if the American is rude and doesn't ask first if the Frenchman speaks English. Even though I am conversationally fluent in Spanish, I refuse to speak it to illegal aliens because this is America and they should learn our language here...
By the same context, you would refuse to speak Spanish to a U.S citizen, Legal Permanent Resident, or anyone lawfully transitting the United States?...

Quote:
...On the other hand if I travel to Mexico I will try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not demand that the native people cater to me.
Do you travel to Mexico?...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
This question is for people who are not obviously of Mexican or Latin American ancestry. A few times (and always in an illegal alien heavy area) I have had illegal aliens come up to me and automatically speak to me in Spanish, without even asking me if I spoke Spanish. As if I am supposed to know it!!

Now I understand why if its true some French people will refuse to speak English to American tourists even if they understand English if the American is rude and doesn't ask first if the Frenchman speaks English. Even though I am conversationally fluent in Spanish, I refuse to speak it to illegal aliens because this is America and they should learn our language here. On the other hand if I travel to Mexico I will try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not demand that the native people cater to me.
You speak Spanish as fluently as my dog speaks Latin. I'd bet my life on it.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I don't know if they were illegal but I've been spoken to in languages other than English.

We don't have an official language here so I can understand why they haven't learned it.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
You speak Spanish as fluently as my dog speaks Latin. I'd bet my life on it.

Why, i know plenty of americans who speak spanish, as well as other languages.
That is not the point. How come hispanics who have been here 15 plus years, still can't speak english.

I happen to know some who don't and never took the liberty of learning our language, and save the excuses please.

Could not get away with this in another Country.

My son speaks spanish, as well as italian, and a bit of french. That is not the point, the point is why should we in this Country, have to learn spanish, because hispanics, can't and won't take the time to speak english.

But don't have a problem with demands.

Hispanics often walk up to my son and speak fluent spanish, and sometimes he does not understand them.

We are italian, and he has olive skin, guess they just assume he is spanish.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
ALL the time, not just illegals either. Even worse is their look of extreme annoyance that I don't respond to them in Spanish.

What's getting really bad lately are the telemarketers calling me up in Spanish.

Yo tambien hablo espanol -- pero cuando estoy en mexico.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
ALL the time, not just illegals either. Even worse is their look of extreme annoyance that I don't respond to them in Spanish.

What's getting really bad lately are the telemarketers calling me up in Spanish.

Yo tambien hablo espanol -- pero cuando estoy en mexico.
I guess having flaming red hair keeps people from speaking Spanish to me. But; I've known several "Hispanic" looking anglos or Black people catch hell for NOT speaking Spanish from real Hispanics.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:

I tend to focus on communicating, rather than declaring that they absolutely speak English. This is ugly American-think IMO. If they speak to me in Spanish, I'll try to understand. I can't speak Spanish very well, but if we can understand one another through certain words and gestures, and effectively communicate, that suits me.

About France, IMO nothing is more insulting to the French than some pompous white American tourist loudly making a fool of themselves by the many ways these "ugly Americans" do it. These tourists show a lack of respect for the culture and insist on being treated as if Americans who speak English are superior to everyone else. It is this attutide which is offensive, aside from the fact that the "ugly American" assumes that the typical Frenchman speaks English.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Yep. I actually do speak Spanish and can pass as Mexican so I assume they think I am Hispanic. I don't know if they were illegal though.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Why, i know plenty of americans who speak spanish, as well as other languages.
That is not the point. How come hispanics who have been here 15 plus years, still can't speak english.

I happen to know some who don't and never took the liberty of learning our language, and save the excuses please.

Could not get away with this in another Country.

My son speaks spanish, as well as italian, and a bit of french. That is not the point, the point is why should we in this Country, have to learn spanish, because hispanics, can't and won't take the time to speak english.

But don't have a problem with demands.

Hispanics often walk up to my son and speak fluent spanish, and sometimes he does not understand them.

We are italian, and he has olive skin, guess they just assume he is spanish.
Really? There are Americans who can speak Spanish?

Please. Obviously plenty of Americans are fluent in Spanish. I am not incredulous that an American speaks Spanish, I am incredulous that this particular one does.

Honestly who cares? If you can't speak Spanish or don't want to speak Spanish just ignore them. Who cares if they don't speak English? When has it ever mattered? Have you ever tried to get a mortgage and the banker didn't speak English? Did you ever go to a job interview and your potential employer only spoke Spanish? Who cares if these people don't speak English? When has it negatively affected anyone ever? Why would anyone even waste their time getting angry? The only people who get angry about it are the people who be angry about them being here even if they spoke the most elegant English in the world. In others words: racists.

If you want to try and help people who come up to you speaking Spanish knock yourself out, if you don't, this tip is for free: "No hablo Espanol" and be on your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration