Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

I speak Spanish, but don't feel in the USA I should be required to speak Spanish. Yet someone accused me of being racist because of that.

So making generalizations about other races and women is fine but not wanting to speak Spanish is racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
1 person said this? If so, who cares? Are you Hispanic? Illegal? Do you not like practicing a language you know?

....I guess I don't get what the issue is here?

I speak terrible Spanish, so default to English if I notice someone having problems with English or no English at all I dont think they think it is racist.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM

A few people said this that because I don't want to speak Spanish I am racist.I'm far from racist, I have Hispanic relatives and even am interested in a Mexican guy, but don't feel being required to speak Spanish should be a part of a government job.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
A few people said this that because I don't want to speak Spanish I am racist.I'm far from racist, I have Hispanic relatives and even am interested in a Mexican guy, but don't feel being required to speak Spanish should be a part of a government job.

How about this government job? Require Spanish or not?

https://www.governmentjobs.com/view_...&hit_count=Yes

Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM

62,955 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
In keeping with the illegal immigration forum Spanish is being pushed in this country because of illegal immigration from mostly south of our border. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English and Spanish. However, I note that many of them choose Spanish over English much of the time.

I agree with you that this is an English speaking country so speaking Spanish should not be a requirement to get a job in our government. Immigrants and citizens should assimilate to our language, not the other way around. If they refuse to or are English learners then let them get an interpreter rather than denying native English speakers a job based on not knowing Spanish.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I don't mind speaking Spanish at all when I'm in a Spanish speaking country. What's ironic --- all these people who want the USA converted from an English speaking nation to a Spanish speaking nation would be outraged if anyone suggested that Mexicans should all start speaking English in Mexico.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm happy to speak Spanish with Mexicans...when I'm in Mexico.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
How about this government job? Require Spanish or not?

https://www.governmentjobs.com/view_...&hit_count=Yes
That's different than this:http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/wic/WIC.../bilingual.pdf

Did you know many public aid centers require one to be fluent in Spanish? why should people be required to speak Spanish at public aid, WIC or any social service?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
That's different than this:http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/wic/WIC.../bilingual.pdf

Did you know many public aid centers require one to be fluent in Spanish? why should people be required to speak Spanish at public aid, WIC or any social service?
Because they have people that speak Spanish there?

Did you know there is no official language in the US?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Because they have people that speak Spanish there?

Did you know there is no official language in the US?
But they shouldn't be getting welfare if they can't speak English they shouldn't be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration