Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Because they have people that speak Spanish there?

Did you know there is no official language in the US?
But just who are these people that can't also speak English? It doesn't matter that we have no official language in the U.S. English is our de facto national language and it was declared by congress a few years ago. Spanish isn't the official langauge of Mexico either but what language do the majority speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
But they shouldn't be getting welfare if they can't speak English they shouldn't be here.
Good luck with that...were not even at the inflection point yet...

Top 10 Spanish-speaking countries

1. Mexico
Spanish speakers: 91,080,000

2. Colombia
Spanish speakers: 41,880,000

3. Argentina
Spanish Speakers: 35,860,000

4. Spain
Spanish Speakers 29,860,000

5. Venezuela
Spanish Speakers 23,310,000

6. United States
Spanish speakers: 20,720,000

7. Peru
Spanish speakers: 20,470,000

8. Chile
Spanish speakers 13,640,000

9. Ecuador
Spanish speakers: 11,760,000

10. Dominican Republic
Spanish speakers: 8,270,000

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

1. Mexico

2. Colombia

3. Argentina

4. Spain

5. Venezuela

6. United States

7. Peru

8. Chile

9. Ecuador

10. Dominican Republic
How many of those Spanish speakers in the U.S. also know how to speak English though? Unless you want to claim that there are more Hispanics here illegally than legally then the point is moot because most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why would they need to be catered to in Spanish?

Compare your stat of 20 million Hispanics in this country who can speak Spanish but more than likely also speak English to a population of around 295 million non-Spanish speakers and yet we should pander to such a minority?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:

1. Mexico

2. Colombia

3. Argentina

4. Spain

5. Venezuela

6. United States

7. Peru

8. Chile

9. Ecuador

10. Dominican Republic
And, how many did the U.S. have prior to MASSIVE Hispanic illegal immigration? I don't give a damn what language people speak, as long as they are here legally. But, bilingual (English/Spanish) should not be a requirement to work in this country, unless one is working as an interpreter or at a Spanish-speaking country's embassy. I don't know even one non-English-speaking Hispanic citizen or legal immigrant. The current bilingual requirements are solely to accommodate the untold millions of Spanish-speaking illegals, and everyone knows it. Clearly, it wasn't a requirement prior to this invasion.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
You're right there were no Spanish speakers before the illegal alien invasion...none in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or California...Florida....none! 0 Spanish jobs before that...

I'm jumping out of the Illegal Immigration vortex! cya

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, how many did the U.S. have prior to MASSIVE Hispanic illegal immigration? I don't give a damn what language people speak, as long as they are here legally. But, bilingual (English/Spanish) should not be a requirement to work in this country, unless one is working as an interpreter or at a Spanish-speaking country's embassy. I don't know even one non-English-speaking Hispanic citizen or legal immigrant. The current bilingual requirements are solely to accommodate the untold millions of Spanish-speaking illegals, and everyone knows it. Clearly, it wasn't a requirement prior to this invasion.
This. I know a lot of Hispanics (mostly Mexican but a few Cubans, etc)who are either here legally or descendants of immigrants and ALL of them speak English. The ones I know or have encountered who didn't speak English were all illegals. I knew they were illegals by many ways, such as they were paid under the table cash.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
This. I know a lot of Hispanics (mostly Mexican but a few Cubans, etc)who are either here legally or descendants of immigrants and ALL of them speak English. The ones I know or have encountered who didn't speak English were all illegals. I knew they were illegals by many ways, such as they were paid under the table cash.
Here we go catering to the illegals again. What about the 200 other languages spoken by immigrants here? Why do they have to speak English while the illegals get Hispandered? Oh ya, I forgot, market share, cheap labor and votes from their anchor kids upon legal voting age. Silly me.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
The United Kingdom does not have an official language either, but you'd look like an idiot if you argued that English is not the de facto official language.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
You're right there were no Spanish speakers before the illegal alien invasion...none in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or California...Florida....none! 0 Spanish jobs before that...

I'm jumping out of the Illegal Immigration vortex! cya
C'mon, Mach. Let's not play games. You know darn well no one even implied such. I asked a legitimate question: How many Spanish-speakers were living in the U.S. prior to the illegal alien invasion? And, your response is sarcasm?

I have lived in this country my entire life, and while we have always had Hispanic citizens, the current Hispanic population is unprecedented. In fact, during the past decade, the Hispanic population has increased by more than 40%. After all, aren't Hispanics the "fastest growing" demographic, and the new largest so-called minority? So, naturally, press 1 for English, Spanish signs in stores, and Spanish labels on food were not the norm in the past. Nor was bilingual (English/Spanish) a job requirement to work for Social Services, corporate HR departments, banks, retail, etc, and you know it. In fact, I used to work with a large Hispanic population on a government contract. Most came from Puerto Rico. But, many were from Peru, Bolivia, Panama, Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Spain. Unlike now, none of the English-speaking employees were required to know Spanish. However, applicants from Spanish-speaking countries or Puerto Rico could not qualify for employment unless they were fluent in English. It isn't rocket science that the change correlates with massive Hispanic illegal immigration. Let's keep it real.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
C'mon, Mach. Let's not play games. You know darn well no one even implied such. I asked a legitimate question: How many Spanish-speakers were living in the U.S. prior to the illegal alien invasion? And, your response is sarcasm?

I have lived in this country my entire life, and while we have always had Hispanic citizens, the current Hispanic population is unprecedented. In fact, during the past decade, the Hispanic population has increased by more than 40%. After all, aren't Hispanics the "fastest growing" demographic, and the new largest so-called minority? So, naturally, press 1 for English, Spanish signs in stores, and Spanish labels on food were not the norm in the past. Nor was bilingual (English/Spanish) a job requirement to work for Social Services, corporate HR departments, banks, retail, etc, and you know it. In fact, I used to work with a large Hispanic population on a government contract. Most came from Puerto Rico. But, many were from Peru, Bolivia, Panama, Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Spain. Unlike now, none of the English-speaking employees were required to know Spanish. However, applicants from Spanish-speaking countries or Puerto Rico could not qualify for employment unless they were fluent in English. It isn't rocket science that the change correlates with massive Hispanic illegal immigration. Let's keep it real.
I want to make sure we are talking about growth here, not births. It's true Hispanics have been more than half of the growth of the United States in the last decade, and have increased their population by 43% in the last decade:

Latinos Account for Half of U.S. Population Growth Since 2000 | Pew Hispanic Center
Hispanic population: Hispanic population passes 50-million milestone in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

The reason that you describe Hispanics in more areas now can also be explained:

Quote:
Until two decades ago, the nation’s Hispanic population had been heavily concentrated in long-established areas of Hispanic settlement... ...Beginning in the 1990s, the Hispanic population began to disperse across the U.S.—most notably, establishing significant population centers in many counties in the South and Midwest that historically had very few Hispanics residents.

Whatever the source, the Hispanic population is going to continue to grow:

So do we just keep complaining as they and Spanish usage grows (there is another thread in P&OC about this same topic)? What needs to be done? Put them back somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration