Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

Excellent Video that sums up in a nutshell why every single American should contact your representatives at every level to stop the insanity.

YouTube - " I Had To Leave Because I Couldn't Speak Spanish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Welcome to the Reconquista!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I love the part where she describes that she asked why there was a difference in how quickly they could process her request based on which language she spoke. I wish she had taken a camera with her to the WIC office so we can see the face of 'America' that is sticking the knife into the backs of real Americans.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
If what this woman alleges really did happen, that is really sad and the person who gave her attitude about not speaking Spanish should be seriously reprimanded. This is the United States and English is the de facto language of government and government services. Though I honestly do not believe that what allegedly happened to this woman happens on a daily basis (her experience seems to be an extraordinary one), this shouldn't be happening at all.

I'm not so sure how this has to do with immigration, however, because the receptionist who allegedly created this whole debaucle wasn't an illegal immigrant or else she wouldn't have been able to get the job. She spoke English and it seems to be her fault, not the government's. Government agencies are, quite obviously, English speaking and it's not like the only people on staff at the moment spoke Spanish only.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
If what this woman alleges really did happen, that is really sad and the person who gave her attitude about not speaking Spanish should be seriously reprimanded. This is the United States and English is the de facto language of government and government services. Though I honestly do not believe that what allegedly happened to this woman happens on a daily basis (her experience seems to be an extraordinary one), this shouldn't be happening at all.

I'm not so sure how this has to do with immigration, however, because the receptionist who allegedly created this whole debaucle wasn't an illegal immigrant or else she wouldn't have been able to get the job. She spoke English and it seems to be her fault, not the government's. Government agencies are, quite obviously, English speaking and it's not like the only people on staff at the moment spoke Spanish only.
Then how would you explain that she had to wait a month for an appointment as an English speaker, vs. that same week had she been a Spanish speaker? Wouldn't that indicate to you that they didn't have an person to process her request in English readily available?

And it does have to do with immigration - those people who are using WIC and speaking Spanish had to get here somehow didn't they? Legal or not, the overwhelming majority of people who are in this country and speak no English are not several generations down the line Americans. Would you not agree?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Then how would you explain that she had to wait a month for an appointment as an English speaker, vs. that same week had she been a Spanish speaker? Wouldn't that indicate to you that they didn't have an person to process her request in English readily available?

And it does have to do with immigration - those people who are using WIC and speaking Spanish had to get here somehow didn't they? Legal or not, the overwhelming majority of people who are in this country and speak no English are not several generations down the line Americans. Would you not agree?
What happened is not indicative that someone who spoke English wasn't available to help her; it is indicative that she was discriminated against for not being Spanish-speaking. California's WIC office would never hire a social worker who did not speak English (but of course would prefer to hire bilingual English/Spanish workers). Although I speak fluent Spanish, I would have been livid had the receptionist told me that the fact that I speak Spanish would get me favorable treatment for a California state or United States government service. This is dispicable and I recognize that.

And yes, I would agree that virtually no one who has been here for longer than one generation speaks no English. The children of immigrants (who are raised by their immigrant parents in this country) almost always prefer English to - and speak it better than - the language of their parents. However, I don't think that the precise problem here is about people who don't speak English - it's more about discrimination than anything else.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM

76 posts, read 405,789 times
Quote:
What happened is not indicative that someone who spoke English wasn't available to help her; it is indicative that she was discriminated against for not being Spanish-speaking. California's WIC office would never hire a social worker who did not speak English (but of course would prefer to hire bilingual English/Spanish workers). Although I speak fluent Spanish, I would have been livid had the receptionist told me that the fact that I speak Spanish would get me favorable treatment for a California state or United States government service. This is dispicable and I recognize that.

And yes, I would agree that virtually no one who has been here for longer than one generation speaks no English. The children of immigrants (who are raised by their immigrant parents in this country) almost always prefer English to - and speak it better than - the language of their parents. However, I don't think that the precise problem here is about people who don't speak English - it's more about discrimination than anything else.
Absolutely! WIC is a service provided by the US government for all US citizens. All public service employees should be required to speak English. Bi-lingual is good, but English as a first language is a must!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:

Both you and Georgia make excellent points.

What immediately came to mind is the fact that the allocation and distribution of federal funds is based on quotas. While federal law prohibits "discrimination" of any kind, I have noticed that any form that I have ever filled out directly or indirectly associated with the government always questions: race, gender, ethnicity, disabilities and whether you are a citizen or foreign national. These questions automatically flags and categorizes each of us.

I have no doubt that those people in that office have been instructed to give preferential treatment to hispanics with emphasis on catering to those with anchor babies. I would also wager that they have been instructed to discourage anyone who is not of hispanic descent from signing up at that particular office.

We can only hope that this and any similiar incident of racial/nationality discrimination will be thoroughly investigated and that those who are responsible for participating in this criminal offense will be terminated and punished to the fullest extent permitted under state and federal laws.

These idiots need to realize we are not Amexico and they nor their raza are special or above the laws of this country.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl2 View Post
Absolutely! WIC is a service provided by the US government for all US citizens. All public service employees should be required to speak English. Bi-lingual is good, but English as a first language is a must!
Unfortunately though, that so-called "U.S. citizen" is many times an anchor baby. Since the baby generally isn't the one doing the talking, communication would be with the illegal alien parent who would likely speak only Spanish.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 PM

76 posts, read 405,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Unfortunately though, that so-called "U.S. citizen" is many times an anchor baby. Since the baby generally isn't the one doing the talking, communication would be with the illegal alien parent who would likely speak only Spanish.
Myabe where you live, but not on this side of the country. Regardless of the ethnic backround of the person seeking assistance the representative at the Government Office providing service should at least provide service in English and Spanish. Any other language, it would be up to the individual seeking assistance to bring along their own interpreter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration