Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Here there is a requirement to speak english for jobs in every industry to accommodate to tourists and international companies.
So, what is your complain again??

Why does it bother you SO MUCH to have to speak spanish?? Cause i cant understand the complain really....
You are so barking up the wrong tree. It doesn't bother me in the least to speak Spanish, or to be in the company of Spanish-speaking people. In fact, I studied Spanish from the 5th-12th grade, and 2 semesters in college. That was my decision. I also married a Spanish-speaking legal immigrant from Argentina, and absolutely loved his accent. In addition, I worked for 8 years with over 200 Spanish-speaking people who were also fluent in English. I even partied with some, and still remain in contact with a few. So, your implication that I am opposed to the Spanish language or people who speak it is baseless.

As I previously stated, I have no problem with Spanish-speaking people or people speaking any other language. But, I do have a problem with people who have chosen to live in this country, yet refuse to learn the language, and expect to be accommodated. I thought I made myself perfectly clear.

Yes, many companies employ bilingual workers to accommodate tourists. That's to be expected. And, naturally, if one is employed with an international organization foreign language would be a requirement. But, we aren't talking about employees accommodating tourists, or working for international companies, are we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 PM

229 posts, read 423,774 times
I have many years of experience in call centers. I cannot even tell you how many jobs I have not been able to get because they require that I speak Spanish. In America. Taking calls FROM America. And here's another great story. My son who is half-hispanic w/a hispanic surname (as well as first and middle) ended up in a English as a second language class in first grade. Very briefly. He does not know Spanish. This was after filling out the "what language does your child speak form". I did try to get his father to teach him. I told his father from birth to speak to him in Spanish only while I did the English only. He did not. I just knew w/a name like his it would be good to know. He later admitted he was wrong. Too late. I also knew about how easily he would've learned at a young age. And also how I would probably leave his father before the peak for learning another language would pass. It makes me sick how many companies and govt. agencies require Spanish and cater to the people that come here and refuse to learn. could you even imaging if this were happening in Spanish speaking countries w/English?? Well, since no one is moving there, I guess it's not a problem. And how unfair to the immigrants (legal) who learn the language because they have to. I wish this country would get serious about illegals!! And not catering to people who refuse to learn the language.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM

I could care less if people speak Spanish. As long as they also speak English. And many jobs require Spanish. This is more of a "if you want to live here learn English thing". I would never move to a foreign country and refuse to learn the language and expect everyone to cater to me.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As I previously stated, I have no problem with Spanish-speaking people or people speaking any other language. But, I do have a problem with people who have chosen to live in this country, yet refuse to learn the language, and expect to be accommodated. I thought I made myself perfectly clear.
I agree with you about this. But werent you complaining about the fact that you being forced to speak spanish and that some jobs requiere people to speak spanish??

The two things are different:
1) the fact that inmigrants that go live in USA dont wanna learn english. Im 100% against this

2) the fact that spanish is a requierment to get some jobs in USA. I dont see the problem with this.

And i dont see the connection either. If 1) is bad (i agree) that doesnt mean 2) is.

Learning a new language is ALWAYS good. Period.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
But here you have to learn ENGLISH (Argentina official language is spanish) to get jobs and no one complains like that, like its a "patriotic" thing. No one says its forced. If anything, whatever the language is, it is bennefitial. Example: i ve always wanted to learn French and Italian. But the country i live in, the educational system and the work world, requieres you to speak ENGLISH, mostly. So, when you enter school they teach english, when you are little one of your extra curricular activities is english, when you try to get a job it requieres english. And everything adds up. You learn english and you love it. I LOVE english (sometimes i like it more than spanish), i read books in english, read a lot of forums and articles on internet in english, watch movies/all my favourite tv series in english, etc. Its an excellent thing. I have access to much more things thanks to the fact that i ve been FORCED to learn english. A whole new world has been opened for me.
Sometimes i wish i knew french, or italian, so i can speak fluently with all the family i have back in italy, and i dont have to use the google translation. But French or Italian arent as important in my culture as english, so if i want to learn any of these languages, i have to go and study them. And i will. Cause learning another language is WONDERFUL.

So, again, i dont understand what you are complaining about.

Except this is a racist or xenophobic thing?

it seems so
The problem is you do not HAVE to learn English. The people that already live here HAVE to learn Spanish to cater to the people who move here and refuse to learn English. Could you imagine A huge migration of English-only speakers moving to Spanish-only countries and simply refusing to learn Spanish?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Here there is a requirement to speak english for jobs in every industry to accommodate to tourists and international companies.
So, what is your complain again??

Why does it bother you SO MUCH to have to speak spanish?? Cause i cant understand the complain really....
I live in America and work in the service industry. It IS a requirement to know Spanish to work at many call centers, restaurants, retail jobs, as well as government jobs. Could you imagine that in other countries? How retarded are you? I'm talking about jobs in America. Any other immigrants (legal or illegal) learn English. No one is catering to them. I wish I could use the language I want. And it's COMPLAINT! Learn English properly.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
I agree with you about this. But werent you complaining about the fact that you being forced to speak spanish and that some jobs requiere people to speak spanish??

The two things are different:
1) the fact that inmigrants that go live in USA dont wanna learn english. Im 100% against this

2) the fact that spanish is a requierment to get some jobs in USA. I dont see the problem with this.

And i dont see the connection either. If 1) is bad (i agree) that doesnt mean 2) is.

Learning a new language is ALWAYS good. Period.
I have never even remotely implied that I am being "forced" to speak Spanish. Nor, do I consider foreign language for employment an issue. Again, it goes without saying, a foreign language must be a requirement if one is seeking employment with an embassy, certain positions with the State Dept, the UN, global organizations, or any job involving contact with foreign nations.

I also believe it is very beneficial to learn a foreign language, several, if capable. And, I encourage all children to learn. My son speaks English, Spanish, and French fluently. However, the current Spanish language requirement for employment at banks, retail, HR departments, etc, is primarily to accommodate non-English-speaking Hispanic employees, and Spanish-speaking illegal alien customers. Yes, I take issue with that. While I would expect a certain level of accommodation as a tourist, I would never choose to live in a foreign country and not learn the language. Nor would I expect to be accommodated. Therein lies the difference.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are so barking up the wrong tree. It doesn't bother me in the least to speak Spanish, or to be in the company of Spanish-speaking people. In fact, I studied Spanish from the 5th-12th grade, and 2 semesters in college. That was my decision. I also married a Spanish-speaking legal immigrant from Argentina, and absolutely loved his accent. In addition, I worked for 8 years with over 200 Spanish-speaking people who were also fluent in English. I even partied with some, and still remain in contact with a few. So, your implication that I am opposed to the Spanish language or people who speak it is baseless.

Yes, many companies employ bilingual workers to accommodate tourists. That's to be expected. And, naturally, if one is employed with an international organization foreign language would be a requirement. But, we aren't talking about employees accommodating tourists, or working for international companies, are we?
Exactly. I speak Spanish, love the culture and always preferred Mexican men. I also understand tourist jobs requiring a second language and ironically many tourist companies require people to speak languages like Japanese because they get a Japanese tourists.

However requiring people to speak Spanish for jobs like restaurants, government is to cater to people that should not be here, like this freeloader leech:
Mexicans --- "Anchors Aweigh" on US Soil - YouTube. Do we want to be required to speak Spanish so this freeloader can have her baby courtesy of us?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I do. I have a M.S. in Applied Linguistics and have been a second-language teacher for over a decade. Let me educate you.

The percentage of immigrants who use English as their native language is much higher today than it was 100 years ago. There are many reason for this; the main reason is that immigrant children spend far more time in school than they once did.

Furthermore, not only are today's Latino immigrants learning English, they appear to be learning it FASTER than European immigrants did 100 years ago. In the early years of the last century, the typical pattern was that immigrants would adopt English as their first language by about the third generation. Today, English typically dominates by the second generation.

In Europe, anyone with even a high school education usually speaks more than one language. In India and much of Africa, multilingualism is the norm. But here in the US, many people do not even want to learn other language. They are proud not to know them, and resent being told speaking more than one language might be helpful in life. It is a shamefully ignorant attitude. It is a national disgrace.
Another one who has missed the point entirely. I didn't say that many legal Hispanic immigrants don't learn English. My point was that many of them including Hispanic citizens won't use English as their primary language of usage no matter how long they have been here. Another point is why should English speaking Americans learn Spanish? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so we already have our national language to communicate with them in.

I really don't care that you or anyone else thinks that mono-English speaking Americans need to learn another language. When would they use it? There is no need for it unless you plan on moving abroad or you have the type of job dealing with foreign countries and even at that English is the global language of business. If you don't use it, you lose it. It is only Spanish speakers who keep pushing this nonsense and of course the language they want us to learn is Spanish, nothing else even though they claim otherwise. We've heard all of these ridiculous arguments before by them. It is very transparent what their agenda truly is.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
The problem is that having to speak Spanish is all for the purpose of keeping all those pouring over the borders to live here from ever having to make any effort to learn any English. The Spanish speaking never consider moving to one of the 22 Spanish speaking nations where they would know the language, they insist on coming here but never expect to make any effort or learn anything new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration