Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What years are we talking about, before 1810, or more recent immigrants? Does he know or use the Navajo language from his mother's side? These are actually good points to consider with how this debate can evolve.

You've just invoked that there were descendents from the Spanish that held on to their language and culture for centuries, predating English usage in this area, without any concept pertaining to illegal immigration. Did that population switch to English, then relearn Spanish (from illegal aliens) within the last few decades? No wonder you guys are lost, quoting demographics that you don't even believe yourself.

Now, the premise of this topic is that any land encompassed within the boundaries of the United States needs to assimilate fully to English usage. Using both your and my comments here, debate why that should be true for all ethnicities in the United States. Think of an area larger than ten U.S. states, and the five smallest of them combined.
I have no idea when his Spanish ancestors initially came here. Why does that matter anyway? No, he doesn't speak Navajo either. To my knowledge both of his parents are primary English speakers and may not even know the langauge of their ancestors.

I doesn't matter if Spanish, German or any other language predated English at one tiime in this country. The fact is that English is our national de facto language today and has been for some tiime now.

Yes, out of respect for our national language immigrants/citizens should assimilate to it. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home. Ethnicity should have nothing to do with. We are all Americans and should speak the common language to remain a cohesive society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Outside of the black person that has immigrated here from predominately black populated countries that do not speak English I have absolutely no issues whatsoever understanding them because they speak.................ENGLISH!

Even those black immigrants that have moved to the U.S. that speak a language other than English as their native tongue do not hesitate but to learn English starting immediately upon entering the country.

You never hear of a black person or any other immigrant including eastern Europeans that flat out refuse to learn the English language.

Another cultural oddity here in this area is that Puerto Rican children act as interpreters for their parents and grandparents.

It is commonly known that the puerto Rican population as a whole refuses the English language here in this area and as a result they only exacerbate already severe social and cultural divides.

Being a moderate Democrat and a supporter of the Affordable Care Act, same sex marriage and social safety nets, I'm also a supporter of militarization of our southern border, a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and a national mandate that legally declares the official language of the United States as English.

The way to rectify this situation is to provide English language instruction for every non English speaking immigrant and for those moving from a non English speaking territory.

This instruction would be paid by the government.
If the immigrant refused they would be denied any stay status other than maximum time allotted for visitation.

There is a positive outcome concerning Illegal immigrant status and the Affordable Care Act.
If one cannot prove legal immigration status one will be refused medical care concerning said law.

Of course this will be changed eventually but for now it sends fear through the illegal community.
No well in hell should Americans be taxed to provide language lessons for foreigners. If you want to move here, study English BEFORE you get here.

Quote:
The store adjusted with a bad individual policy as a reaction. However, the incident was still not as humiliating as a customer loudly calling her a "wetb4ck" on another occasion. Her cashiering experience has helped her greatly to assimilate, unfortunately she has also been exposed to a few customers that speak without thinking.
If your wife feels this country is so racist she is more than free to return home to Mexico. Since you seem to feel the same way about a significant percentage of Americans you might to consider joining her there.

Does Mexico allow Mexican citizenship for those who marry Mexicans? Will you be provided with Mexican taxpayer financed Spanish lessons and three hundred bucks a month in Mexican taxpayer provided free food? Or is just all that stuff that she, you and so many of her fellow Mexicans think Americans should be forced to provide for Mexicans? Even when they deliberate violate multiple American laws?

Because if I personally thought America was this horribly racist place the last thing I would do is stay here. Then again I'm not a lazy, immoral illegal alien who expects Americans to place the needs of a foreign criminal above their own economic needs so what do I know . . .

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have no idea when his Spanish ancestors initially came here. Why does that matter anyway? No, he doesn't speak Navajo either. To my knowledge both of his parents are primary English speakers and may not even know the langauge of their ancestors.

I doesn't matter if Spanish, German or any other language predated English at one tiime in this country. The fact is that English is our national de facto language today and has been for some tiime now.

Yes, out of respect for our national language immigrants/citizens should assimilate to it. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home. Ethnicity should have nothing to do with. We are all Americans and should speak the common language to remain a cohesive society.
The land area (larger than ten U.S. states) I was referring to is the Navajo Nation. Since you say that it doesn't matter how much longer that a language has been established (or helped in a conflict) within our current national boundaries, there is no more need for the Navajo to retain it. It's sad that someone whom identifies themselves as a mixture of Spaniard (which would seem to be at least 200 years ago) and Navajo not retaining either culture or language of what they call themselves.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The land area (larger than ten U.S. states) I was referring to is the Navajo Nation. Since you say that it doesn't matter how much longer that a language has been established (or helped in a conflict) within our current national boundaries, there is no more need for the Navajo to retain it. It's sad that someone whom identifies themselves as a mixture of Spaniard (which would seem to be at least 200 years ago) and Navajo not retaining either culture or language of what they call themselves.
He doesn't identify with either of those cultures per se. White Spaniard and native indian are merely what he is gentically. Oh, I am sure he has been taught some native customs of the Navajo but that is about as far as it goes. He identifies himself as an American and only speaks English. Something that I'd like to see more citizens/immigrants do.

As I said, nothing wrong with speaking another language at home or practicing your ancestor's native customs. I realize that the native indians from New Mexico still practice a lot of their customs as I have been there but any of them I encountered spoke English.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Would the destruction of the dominant U.S. "culture and language" sadden you as well? Or, would that be considered progress, diversity, and tolerance?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No well in hell should Americans be taxed to provide language lessons for foreigners. If you want to move here, study English BEFORE you get here.

If your wife feels this country is so racist she is more than free to return home to Mexico. Since you seem to feel the same way about a significant percentage of Americans you might to consider joining her there.

Does Mexico allow Mexican citizenship for those who marry Mexicans? Will you be provided with Mexican taxpayer financed Spanish lessons and three hundred bucks a month in Mexican taxpayer provided free food? Or is just all that stuff that she, you and so many of her fellow Mexicans think Americans should be forced to provide for Mexicans? Even when they deliberate violate multiple American laws?

Because if I personally thought America was this horribly racist place the last thing I would do is stay here. Then again I'm not a lazy, immoral illegal alien who expects Americans to place the needs of a foreign criminal above their own economic needs so what do I know . . .
Sometimes I just can't understand what wraps you up so tight to respond to someone in this manner. Neither I or my wife think that "a significant percentage of Americans" are "so racist". We'll likely be here for many more years to come.

I actually tend to think that it isn't even worthwhile to respond to you, but maybe this will be the last time...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Sometimes I just can't understand what wraps you up so tight to respond to someone in this manner. Neither I or my wife think that "a significant percentage of Americans" are "so racist". We'll likely be here for many more years to come.

I actually tend to think that it isn't even worthwhile to respond to you, but maybe this will be the last time...
I am not the one who called someone a racist for calling an illegal using welfare Pedro when that was actually the guy's name. I am not the one who constantly calls members of this forum in good standing all sorts of nasty names on a fairly routine basis.

Those are legitimate questions. Do you have Mexican citizenship because you married a Mexican? Does Mexico provide free food for illegal aliens if they give birth on Mexican soil even if the parents are violating Mexican immigration laws? Does Mexico educate the children of foreigners violating their immigration laws in Spanish or in the illegal's home language? Since you pride yourself on your alleged knowledge of American and Mexican immigration laws it is entirely legitimate to ask you questions about Mexican immigration laws.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
He doesn't identify with either of those cultures per se. White Spaniard and native indian are merely what he is gentically. Oh, I am sure he has been taught some native customs of the Navajo but that is about as far as it goes. He identifies himself as an American and only speaks English. Something that I'd like to see more citizens/immigrants do...
It is unusual to self-identify a "Spanish" (referring to ancestors being from Spain) component in normal conversation, when that ancestry is more than 200 years removed. The Navajo (especially in New Mexico, people prefer to be specifically identified to their member society, not generically, and never misidentify them as another tribe) link is more understandable, and apparently more dominant in his self-identity. "White Spaniard" is even more strange (there is even a remote chance of being of Jewish ancestry, although it would not be an official under the crown, with Queen Isabella's purge of non-Christians), although I don't know what is him, and what is you, in that definition.

Quote:
...As I said, nothing wrong with speaking another language at home or practicing your ancestor's native customs. I realize that the native indians from New Mexico still practice a lot of their customs as I have been there but any of them I encountered spoke English.
Then why do you say you would rather have citizens/immigrants only speak English and identify themselves as "American" (with a friend that apparently identifies himself as being partially "Spanish")?...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It is unusual to self-identify a "Spanish" (referring to ancestors being from Spain) component in normal conversation, when that ancestry is more than 200 years removed. The Navajo (especially in New Mexico, people prefer to be specifically identified to their member society, not generically, and never misidentify them as another tribe) link is more understandable, and apparently more dominant in his self-identity. "White Spaniard" is even more strange (there is even a remote chance of being of Jewish ancestry, although it would not be an official under the crown, with Queen Isabella's purge of non-Christians), although I don't know what is him, and what is you, in that definition.

Then why do you say you would rather have citizens/immigrants only speak English and identify themselves as "American" (with a friend that apparently identifies himself as being partially "Spanish")?...
Do we always have to go into detail so you will understand what we are saying? IMO, in public English should be spoken if one knows English. Is that clear enough? Isn't our nationality American? One can be a Hispanic-American, right? Or one can be black-American, right? They are not in conflict with one another since one is about culture and the other one is about race and the other is about nationality.

Geez, my friend told me his father's ancestors were from Spain and his mother is Navajo. I don't know just what you are trying to prove here. He doesn't speak Spanish nor Navajo and identifies more culturally as a regular American. Ok, now let's hear you interpret that as me saying that those of Spanish ancestry or native indian ancestry aren't "regular" Americans. I expect it from you.

My ancestors were from Germany and I am racially non-hispanic white. My nationality is American. Is that too confusing for you?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Would the destruction of the dominant U.S. "culture and language" sadden you as well? Or, would that be considered progress, diversity, and tolerance?
I self-identify as "American", not as any of the components of Polish, German, Dane, Swedish, French, Irish, English, or Russian I am composed of. English, along with the culture and principles I live under, is not going to vanish any time soon. The melodramatic tone of this topic has been a roller-coaster ride over a dozen pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration