Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Perhaps but I don't think it is the only educational learning process that can exercise your brain. I am a practical person and even though I took two years of a foreign language in high school (long time ago, lol) it was like a wasted two years. I think that starting at the high school level that trades should begin to be taught instead. That is something that would give you real employment opportunties in the future. Language as an elective I am ok with that but not mandatory. It was elective for me but turned out to be useless.
This statement from you invalidates whatever you have to say about any topic, ever.
In my opinion, of course.
Someone that does not understand something as basic as the importance of learning another language and call it "a waste of time", probably doesnt have anything to do arguing in a Political forum.

But of course you are free to say whatever and im free to voice my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just got e-mailed this:

So if people think it's just front-facing retail/social worker people who have to know Spanish nowadays, think again!

This is not what I do for a living and it is far, far below my skill level...but this is still a professional white-collar job.

there are millons of GOOD (and very good) jobs here requiring english just like that one. And some portuguese. And some french or german. Never heard anyone complaining about the existence of those jobs (wtf??). So, i dont understand how a normal job-add can get you so worked up.

This thread seems to be getting clearer and clearer as pages go by: its as simple as bigotry and xenophobia.

Just a bunch of people being xenophobs, thinking less of people of other countries, believing they are superior, and trying to make excuses for it.

Thats the only explanation as to why a NORMAL job add can get everybody so MAD.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
This statement from you invalidates whatever you have to say about any topic, ever.
In my opinion, of course.
Someone that does not understand something as basic as the importance of learning another language and call it "a waste of time", probably doesnt have anything to do arguing in a Political forum.

But of course you are free to say whatever and im free to voice my opinion
Really? Have you ever heard of civil debate? You might want to read the TOS of this forum.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
there are millons of GOOD (and very good) jobs here requiring english just like that one. And some portuguese. And some french or german. Never heard anyone complaining about the existence of those jobs (wtf??). So, i dont understand how a normal job-add can get you so worked up.

This thread seems to be getting clearer and clearer as pages go by: its as simple as bigotry and xenophobia.

Just a bunch of people being xenophobs, thinking less of people of other countries, believing they are superior, and trying to make excuses for it.

Thats the only explanation as to why a NORMAL job add can get everybody so MAD.
You're missing the point.

It used to be that white collar jobs that required foreign language skills were few and far between, mainly in global offices of multinational corporations or in certain branches of the federal government where it was understood that foreign language skills were essential.

This job ad is neither of those. Also, there is no way that data analysis should require knowledge of Spanish, since data is data regardless of the language it is written in. I should know. I could do my job with databases in Swahili if that's what was provided to us.

It's the fact that the job requires Spanish that grinds my gears, since clearly the company offering the job caters to a large Spanish-speaking (and possibly illegal) cohort. This would not be a 'requirement' if we did not have so many illegals here. Period.

And before you accuse me of being a xenophobe, realize that I carry more than one passport, speak multiple languages, and have lived in multiple countries.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:

It used to be that white collar jobs that required foreign language skills were few and far between, mainly in global offices of multinational corporations or in certain branches of the federal government where it was understood that foreign language skills were essential.

This job ad is neither of those. Also, there is no way that data analysis should require knowledge of Spanish, since data is data regardless of the language it is written in. I should know. I could do my job with databases in Swahili if that's what was provided to us.

It's the fact that the job requires Spanish that grinds my gears, since clearly the company offering the job caters to a large Spanish-speaking (and possibly illegal) cohort. This would not be a 'requirement' if we did not have so many illegals here. Period.

And before you accuse me of being a xenophobe, realize that I carry more than one passport, speak multiple languages, and have lived in multiple countries.
My wife does Compensation for companies around the world, she processes DATA and the job requires Spanish to work with companies in Spain and Latin America....it has nothing to do with illegals at all.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:

Well stated and I would only add that just because someone doesn't speak multiple languages or only speaks the language of their own country does make them a xenophobe either.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My wife does Compensation for companies around the world, she processes DATA and the job requires Spanish to work with companies in Spain and Latin America....it has nothing to do with illegals at all.
Please go back and re-read what I wrote, particularly the part about multinationals. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM

382 posts, read 722,103 times
I can definitely appreciate frustrations people have when government offices, schools, etc., have to have language accommodations for every ethnic group that comes here. I once saw a teacher purchasing dictionaries in about eight different languages for students to use while doing exams at a high school, and I wondered if too much "hand-holding" would be counterproductive to these kids' integration (not to mention the added expense).

But like the poster who saw the lack of interest in learning Spanish among English-speakers in Puerto Rico, I lived abroad and saw the same thing there. Many if not most English speakers thought it was outrageous that all shops, restaurants, and even government agencies didn't accommodate them by speaking English. They learned how to say "hello" and "beer", and left it at that ... for years. They only went to English-speaking venues and hung out with other English speakers. If they had difficult experiences being understood, they sometimes broke down and ended up going home. (A very nice American I knew tearfully resolved to eschew the romanticism of expat life when she couldn't be understood ordering "Cheddar Cheese" in the local lingo). Hopefully, they weren't the same types who bellow, "If they come to America they should speak English!" because that would be hypocritical. And no one likes to be hypocritical.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I can definitely appreciate frustrations people have when government offices, schools, etc., have to have language accommodations for every ethnic group that comes here. I once saw a teacher purchasing dictionaries in about eight different languages for students to use while doing exams at a high school, and I wondered if too much "hand-holding" would be counterproductive to these kids' integration (not to mention the added expense).

But like the poster who saw the lack of interest in learning Spanish among English-speakers in Puerto Rico, I lived abroad and saw the same thing there. Many if not most English speakers thought it was outrageous that all shops, restaurants, and even government agencies didn't accommodate them by speaking English. They learned how to say "hello" and "beer", and left it at that ... for years. They only went to English-speaking venues and hung out with other English speakers. If they had difficult experiences being understood, they sometimes broke down and ended up going home. (A very nice American I knew tearfully resolved to eschew the romanticism of expat life when she couldn't be understood ordering "Cheddar Cheese" in the local lingo). Hopefully, they weren't the same types who bellow, "If they come to America they should speak English!" because that would be hypocritical. And no one likes to be hypocritical.

I am curious to know which countries? & which services these English speakers took up residency?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
My youngest son married early and it is to a Spanish speaking woman...He is very musical and picking up a second language is a pleasure to him. He can converse with his wife in Spanish as well as English..Do I get irritated at hearing rapid Spanish while she is on the phone with her relatives? Yes a bit...it's a different culture and they seem to laugh a lot...I kind of feel left out....A few days ago we had a house party...it started out with a couple of Spanish speaking guests...By mid evening the place was filled with Chileans....Young people from good families...

They love to sing...dance and drink...boy could they drink...I was submerged in relentless waves of Spanish..Oddly some of them spoke perfect English and the rest of them had a fairly good command of English....Later my daughter in law commented that Chileans do not consider themselves a "Latin"country like the rest of south America and Mexico...The pride themselves as being more European due to their original settlers...as for Mexico...they really do not like being mistaken for Mexicans...kind of like Russians get irritated when they are mistaken for Poles.

No- I don't want to speak Spanish...it's better that the new comers learn OUR language. After all they have come here and we have NOT gone there. I have been invited to visit Chile..for as long as I want- then - I may learn to speak some Spanish because it will be a must...long as I am on my own turf...they had better communicate in English- after all they have entered my home land...and the host is to be respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration