Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Wow what a story to say the least! I'm surprised your wife stayed for months after such a humiliating experience. I guess this customer thinks that only "illegals" steal other people's identities!
The store adjusted with a bad individual policy as a reaction. However, the incident was still not as humiliating as a customer loudly calling her a "wetb4ck" on another occasion. Her cashiering experience has helped her greatly to assimilate, unfortunately she has also been exposed to a few customers that speak without thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You are still contradicting yourself by again stating that Spanish usage will continue to grow, after agreeing with Rogers who clearly said it won't. How on earth do you expect anyone to understand your position, when you hold two opposing views simultaneously?

So, which is it? Either Spanish usage will continue to grow, as you claim, or as Rogers stated, it won't. Again, you can't have it both ways. And, please don't reply with more deflection. The issue is not the continued growth of the Hispanic population; or whether the Spanish-speakers in New Mexico are citizens, legal immigrants, or illegal aliens. At issue is the growth (you) or decline (Rogers) of Spanish usage by the Hispanic population in this country. For the final time, make up your mind.

In addition, after arguing on this forum that "Spanish usage will continue to grow" including, repeating it in this post, you commented in P&OC on the lack of Spanish usage and the preference for the English language by Hispanic immigrants using your Mexican stepchildren as an example.

The USA will have a majority speaking Spanish when ?
If you can't understand that Spanish in my community is not from any influence of legal or illegal immigration, and will continue to grow, in and outside my community, without those factors, I don't know what to tell you. The positions are not mutually exclusive. To me, the notion that Spanish is spoken in the United States is not even an illegal immigration issue.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

62,982 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If you can't understand that Spanish in my community is not from any influence of legal or illegal immigration, and will continue to grow, in and outside my community, without those factors, I don't know what to tell you. The positions are not mutually exclusive. To me, the notion that Spanish is spoken in the United States is not even an illegal immigration issue.
So you are speaking only of Hispanic citzens? Why would speaking Spanish continue to grow with them? I am not saying that they should stop speaking Spanish altogether but we keep hearing how Spanish is lost after a couple of generations and they fully assimilate.

Actually, in part illegal immigration is one of the reasons that we hear so much Spanish being spoken today. I know someone who lives in New Mexico who is part Spanish and part Navajo. He was born here to parents that were born here also. He doesn't speak a lick of Spanish.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you are speaking only of Hispanic citzens? Why would speaking Spanish continue to grow with them? I am not saying that they should stop speaking Spanish altogether but we keep hearing how Spanish is lost after a couple of generations and they fully assimilate.

Actually, in part illegal immigration is one of the reasons that we hear so much Spanish being spoken today. I know someone who lives in New Mexico who is part Spanish and part Navajo. He was born here to parents that were born here also. He doesn't speak a lick of Spanish.
How can he be "part Spanish" with parents born here? And you were so dismissive of my story above. One individual, of a heritage and identity that you cannot aptly explain, in no way counters my declaration that members in my community speaking in Spanish have not had notable immigrant influence to make it that way in generations.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That's different than this:http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/wic/WIC.../bilingual.pdf

Did you know many public aid centers require one to be fluent in Spanish? why should people be required to speak Spanish at public aid, WIC or any social service?
I agree.

Unfortunately our language is being hijack.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM

62,982 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
How can he be "part Spanish" with parents born here? And you were so dismissive of my story above. One individual, of a heritage and identity that you cannot aptly explain, in no way counters my declaration that members in my community speaking in Spanish have not had notable immigrant influence to make it that way in generations.
His father's ancestors were from Spain. Does everything have to broken down all neat and tidy in order for you to get it or is this your feigned confusion again? Obviously in New Mexico and many other southwestern states many people have Spanish ancestors. That is true of Mexico also.

You still didn't explain why Spanish language usage will continue to grow among Hispanic citizens.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
This is just more irrelevant deflection. But, now I certainly do understand that your "position" on this issue will vary according to your audience (this forum or P&OC), the illegal immigration stance of a poster (pro or anti), or anything you believe will give Hispanic "immigrants" a positive image (assimilation). In other words, you will flip-flop to suit your agenda.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I too encountered the same thing when employers found out I speak Spanish. One employer had many Spanish speaking customers (and most were illegals since the area was an illegal haven)and they wanted me to speak Spanish. At first I did this until I realized that I was doing twice the work to cater to a population that didn't deserve it so I stopped speaking Spanish unless they paid me more. They refused so I stopped speaking Spanish.
I applaud you. Its not many hispanics like you around.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I applaud you. Its not many hispanics like you around.
Actually, there are many. Unfortunately, apparently, they're the minority. My son frequently encounters Hispanics who automatically start speaking Spanish to him. Although he is fluent in Spanish, he said he resents their assumptive attitude. It's funny, because he said at least 8 times out of 10, when he responds to them in English, they understand exactly what he said, and then start speaking English.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
His father's ancestors were from Spain. Does everything have to broken down all neat and tidy in order for you to get it or is this your feigned confusion again? Obviously in New Mexico and many other southwestern states many people have Spanish ancestors. That is true of Mexico also.

You still didn't explain why Spanish language usage will continue to grow among Hispanic citizens.
What years are we talking about, before 1810, or more recent immigrants? Does he know or use the Navajo language from his mother's side? These are actually good points to consider with how this debate can evolve.

You've just invoked that there were descendents from the Spanish that held on to their language and culture for centuries, predating English usage in this area, without any concept pertaining to illegal immigration. Did that population switch to English, then relearn Spanish (from illegal aliens) within the last few decades? No wonder you guys are lost, quoting demographics that you don't even believe yourself.

Now, the premise of this topic is that any land encompassed within the boundaries of the United States needs to assimilate fully to English usage. Using both your and my comments here, debate why that should be true for all ethnicities in the United States. Think of an area larger than ten U.S. states, and the five smallest of them combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration