Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I self-identify as "American", not as any of the components of Polish, German, Dane, Swedish, French, Irish, English, or Russian I am composed of. English, along with the culture and principles I live under, is not going to vanish any time soon. The melodramatic tone of this topic has been a roller-coaster ride over a dozen pages.
You forgot to mention those native indian ancestors that you claimed were also a part of your ancestry awhile back. Hmm.

Nothing melodramatic about objecting to one particular nationality/ethnic group invading our country illegally by the millions or being overwhelminging favored in our legal immigrant numbers and being concerned that our identity, culture and language wlll change by unassimilating "immigrants" and citizens of same group.

I also self-identify as being an American. However if someone asks me where my ancestors were from it is no big deal to tell them. Just like my friend in New Mexico told me when I asked him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...Ok, now let's hear you interpret that as me saying that those of Spanish ancestry or native indian ancestry aren't "regular" Americans. I expect it from you...
Actually, I hear on a regular basis here that Hispanics are not believed to be "regular" Americans. I've served with several Navajo, and separately with a Zuni, a very fine people and good troops. Why would you expect I say otherwise?

Quote:
You forgot to mention those native indian ancestors that you claimed were also a part of your ancestry awhile back. Hmm...
I haven't specifically isolated the additional input to my French-Canadian line, but it was there. My maternal Grandfather had a darker skin that cannot be explained otherwise. More recently I am determining I have a greater portion originating in Poland rather than Germany.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Actually, I hear on a regular basis here that Hispanics are not believed to be "regular" Americans. I've served with several Navajo, and separately with a Zuni, a very fine people and good troops. Why would you expect I say otherwise?

I haven't specifically isolated the additional input to my French-Canadian line, but it was there. My maternal Grandfather had a darker skin that cannot be explained otherwise. More recently I am determining I have a greater portion originating in Poland rather than Germany.
If you interpreted from the posts of others that Hispanics aren't regular Americans that isn't what they have said. What has been said is that many appear not to assimilate as far as using English as their primary language. What has also been said is that many defend illegal immigrants and mostly because they are of same ethnic group. Both of these two things are true but one is still an American if they hold citizenship in this country. You do tend to spin other's words in here so yes that is why I would expect you to misinterpret my words. It has happened before.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention those native indian ancestors that you claimed were also a part of your ancestry awhile back. Hmm.

Nothing melodramatic about objecting to one particular nationality/ethnic group invading our country illegally by the millions or being overwhelminging favored in our legal immigrant numbers and being concerned that our identity, culture and language wlll change by unassimilating "immigrants" and citizens of same group.

I also self-identify as being an American. However if someone asks me where my ancestors were from it is no big deal to tell them. Just like my friend in New Mexico told me when I asked him.
I believe he was telling the truth. He doesn't have any.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Speaking just for myself, I speak multiple languages. I am proficient in Spanish; not fluent, but I can certainly carry on a conversation and make myself understood.

I agree that foreign language instruction should be mandatory, though I wouldn't be presumptive enough to tell people which language(s) they should study. Any foreign language exposure is enriching.

However, I also resent being put in the position of having to communicate in Spanish in my own country. When I go to Mexico or any other Spanish-speaking country I am more than happy to begin all conversations in Spanish and to speak it as much as I can. When I was in Poland, I spoke Polish to people. Germany, German. France, French. You get the idea. They need to learn our language.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
I self-identify as "American", not as any of the components of Polish, German, Dane, Swedish, French, Irish, English, or Russian I am composed of. English, along with the culture and principles I live under, is not going to vanish any time soon. The melodramatic tone of this topic has been a roller-coaster ride over a dozen pages.
I didn't ask how you self-identify. Nor did I inquire about your lineage. I also didn't ask if you thought the American culture and language would or would not vanish. You said, "it's sad" that the guy with Navajo ancestry has lost his culture and language. I then asked if you would also feel sad if this country lost its culture and language. A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice.

What melodramatic tone? Don't people have the right to express their opinion on the issue of massive Hispanic illegal immigration and their Spanish language accommodation? Moreover, didn't you state repeatedly that Spanish usage will continue to grow with the growing Hispanic population? If true, wouldn't that threaten our language and culture? On the other hand, you also agreed with Rogers that Spanish usage is on the decline, and most Hispanics are assimilating and actually prefer to speak English. Heck, you even referenced your stepchildren to support your "assimilation" argument on another thread. So, understandably, your position is rather confusing.

For the LAST time, do you believe Spanish usage will increase or decrease among the Hispanic population in this country, irrespective of Hispanic population growth? Hispanic "immigrants" will either follow the same pattern as other immigrants by assimilating and adopting English as their primary language, or their language preference will continue to be Spanish. It's just that simple. Can you give a straight answer?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Speaking just for myself, I speak multiple languages. I am proficient in Spanish; not fluent, but I can certainly carry on a conversation and make myself understood.

I agree that foreign language instruction should be mandatory, though I wouldn't be presumptive enough to tell people which language(s) they should study. Any foreign language exposure is enriching.

However, I also resent being put in the position of having to communicate in Spanish in my own country. When I go to Mexico or any other Spanish-speaking country I am more than happy to begin all conversations in Spanish and to speak it as much as I can. When I was in Poland, I spoke Polish to people. Germany, German. France, French. You get the idea. They need to learn our language.
I disagree that learning another language is beneficial in our country unless you plan on employment where you have to deal with foreigners in their own countries or you plan on moving to a foreign country. I certainly don't think it should be mandated but elective. However, you are entitled to your opinion of course.

I think that we need to get back to teaching trades which is far more useful than learning a language that you probably will never need to use. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I fully agree. Those that call me a racist simply by desiring English to be spoken while interacting in a public venue are simply objectifying their own fears as they live another day in this country.

Speaking of the nurses station; My niece is an RN at a large hospital here in the Lehigh Valley.
The issues surrounding language barriers have been addressed by her managers and they have sided with the overwhelming majority of not only nurses but Physicians as well in outright rejecting mandatory Spanish language classes for medical staff.

They have a staff of interpreters that are focused on that one task and are paid accordingly for their talent.

The divide here in the Lehigh Valley of PA between the Puerto Rican population and the indigenous population is very wide.
Indigenous population? Your ancestors, like mine, came onto these shores uninvited and took the place for themselves. There is no indigenous population in Allentown. How many of these non-English speaking Puerto Ricans are older than 40?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Indigenous population? Your ancestors, like mine, came onto these shores uninvited and took the place for themselves. There is no indigenous population in Allentown. How many of these non-English speaking Puerto Ricans are older than 40?
In many cases yes they were invited. Why would you need an invitation anyway since there were no immigration laws prior to the formation of this country? My ancestors came here after our country was formed so no they didn't come uninvited.

Even those you would call "indigenous" migrated here from somewhere else. The only thing indigenous were probably the plants and animals.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
In many cases yes they were invited. Why would you need an invitation anyway since there were no immigration laws prior to the formation of this country? My ancestors came here after our country was formed so no they didn't come uninvited.

Even those you would call "indigenous" migrated here from somewhere else. The only thing indigenous were probably the plants and animals.
I don't know how far back my ancestors went. The earliest I looked back was the early 1800s, but Puerto Rico was still a crown colony back then. The only immigrant move my family has ever made was in the 1950s from communist Germany. If it weren't for that, I'd have been born and raised near Dresden instead of Puerto Rico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration