Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,414,482 times

Advertisements

The fence plan has drawn complaints from several U.S.-based environmental, immigrant-rights, border friendship and religious groups.

“It's going to kind of scare people away,” said Daniel Watman, a Spanish teacher and organizer of Border Meetup, which has conducted yoga, surfing and other events at the fence to promote cultural interaction. “When they see the Border Patrol checking IDs, and all of a sudden there is a 20-foot wall, people are going to say, 'Nah, why bother.' ”

Although some have been meeting at the fence for years, the Sotomayor family learned about Border Field State Park recently. They were making their second visit. Both José Sotomayor and his wife, Rosa Cobian, are awaiting their green cards and can't travel out of the country.

On the south side of the fence, Cobian's mother, Cecilia Nuñez, reveled in getting to know her four grandchildren, whom she only knew through photographs until recently. She hoped the new fence wouldn't get in the way of afternoons like these.

“I'd like to have better communication with them,” said Nuñez, 67, as toddler Jesse giggled on the other side of the mesh, a yard or so away. “I hope we can still keep seeing each other.”

Leslie Berestein: (619) 542-4579; leslie.berestein@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20080924-9999-1n24monument.html

It is obvious that their love of those they leave behind is by far second behind their love of raping the tax payer provided American freebies. Therefore, they really need to shut up whining or go home. Frankly, I prefer the latter solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The fence plan has drawn complaints from several U.S.-based environmental, immigrant-rights, border friendship and religious groups.

It's going to kind of scare people away,” said Daniel Watman, a Spanish teacher and organizer of Border Meetup, which has conducted yoga, surfing and other events at the fence to promote cultural interaction. “When they see the Border Patrol checking IDs, and all of a sudden there is a 20-foot wall, people are going to say, 'Nah, why bother.' ”
Although some have been meeting at the fence for years, the Sotomayor family learned about Border Field State Park recently. They were making their second visit. Both José Sotomayor and his wife, Rosa Cobian, are awaiting their green cards and can't travel out of the country.

On the south side of the fence, Cobian's mother, Cecilia Nuñez, reveled in getting to know her four grandchildren, whom she only knew through
photographs until recently. She hoped the new fence wouldn't get in the way of afternoons like these.

“I'd like to have better communication with them,” said Nuñez, 67, as toddler Jesse giggled on the other side of the mesh, a yard or so away. “I hope we can still keep seeing each other.”

Leslie Berestein: (619) 542-4579; leslie.berestein@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20080924-9999-1n24monument.html

It is obvious that their love of those they leave behind is by far second behind their love of raping the tax payer provided American freebies. Therefore, they really need to shut up whining or go home. Frankly, I prefer the latter solution.

In reference to the part I bolded why would it scare anyone away who was not doing anything wrong? If you are law abiding and are crossing for legitimate purposes you should have no fear.

I do hope anyone coming here for other than legal or legitimate purposes do in fact say "nah, why bother" as the person who was interviewed stated.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
In reference to the part I bolded why would it scare anyone away who was not doing anything wrong? If you are law abiding and are crossing for legitimate purposes you should have no fear.

I do hope anyone coming here for other than legal or legitimate purposes do in fact say "nah, why bother" as the person who was interviewed stated.
Exactly! We are a sovereign nation, and have every right to construct a wall or anything else we deem necessary to protect our borders. If they enter this country legally, they have nothing to fear.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post

The alleged fear factor is perpetually present in these bad C movie caliber sob stories to elicit sympathy. Apparently, more than a few of them didn't get the memo. We are mad as hell and don't give a damn about their self imposed criminal status.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
No more being able to hand off drugs, money, smuggling routes and forged documents. Boo hoo

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,679 times
I don't see how this is a sob story. It's merely giving different views of the same situation. I know its hard to believe, JDubsMom, but yours isn't the only perspective on the border issue.

What was the motive behind listing the journalist's email and phone number, then?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I don't see how this is a sob story. It's merely giving different views of the same situation. I know its hard to believe, JDubsMom, but yours isn't the only perspective on the border issue.
But hers does happen to be the perspective of the majority of American citizens and that seems to be something you do not understand or care about.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

What was the motive behind listing the journalist's email and phone number, then?
Wow, really? How is it possible that my perspective is not the only one?.

As for motives? What is the point to your post since you have nothing to contribute in terms of the article? Other than whining about me being the poster, it appears you don't have one.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Kids I want you to meet grand ma. She was too old to break the law with the rest of us so you'll have to be content with seeing her through the fence. She is so very proud of us all. We break laws and send her money and once a month she rides a bus just to meet you. Its sad that now we might have to visit Grand ma from on top of a concrete wall but she understands. Some day when you are old enough you will be able to sponcer her visa because anchor babies got it like that.
For you pittbull

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Kids I want you to meet grand ma. She was too old to break the law with the rest of us so you'll have to be content with seeing her through the fence. She is so very proud of us all. We break laws and send her money and once a month she rides a bus just to meet you. Its sad that now we might have to visit Grand ma from on top of a concrete wall but she understands. Some day when you are old enough you will be able to sponcer her visa because anchor babies got it like that.
For you pittbull
Good one! Dedication duly noted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration