Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

A woman's immigration status is up in the air after her husband kills their daughter and then himself.

Photos
BY KETTY RODRIGUEZ
El Nuevo Herald
First her husband killed their young daughter before turning the gun on himself.

Now, 25-year-old Jissela Cabello may be deported back to Paraguay, her attorney says.

[cut - copyrighted article]

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/698902.html (broken link)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-26-2008 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: [cut - copyrighted article]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
what a tragedy.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
That's too bad, I feel bad for her. At least they were on the way to becoming citizens, now what?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
*Waits for the anti-immigrant crowd to blame her for marrying the guy in the first place.*

Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's too bad, I feel bad for her. At least they were on the way to becoming citizens, now what?
She won't get deported, as long as the marriage was bona fide, they should award her permanent legal status. I don't know what kind of crappy lawyer she picked, but any good lawyer should be able to straighten out this mess.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

It is indeed a tragedy and more likely than not she won't be deported. Recently, there was a similar case like this one in Chicago but the woman was only the long time girlfriend/caretaker of the guy who died.

One of the city council members petitioned the courts on her behalf to stop the deportation proceedings and she now has a green card.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I feel sorry for her daughter...imagine the life that little girl had -- watching her parents fight, her mom getting beaten up. And then to die at the hands of her own father.
As to her mother...I feel conflicted on this. On the one hand, I do feel badly for all victims of domestic violance. But if she had not bailed her husband out of jail, her daughter might still be alive.
That said, I knew a couple where the dh met and married his dw in Poland. They married, and had 4 or 5 kids within 7 years, the poor woman was always pregnant (but she did speak fluent english). I found out several years after they left my dds school that the dh was beating on the woman....he was telling her if she called the police she would be deported and would never see the kids again. She wasn't even illegal. So, I can see this loser using this threat on his wife as well. And as threats go, it would be very effective.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I feel sorry for her daughter...imagine the life that little girl had -- watching her parents fight, her mom getting beaten up. And then to die at the hands of her own father.
As to her mother...I feel conflicted on this. On the one hand, I do feel badly for all victims of domestic violance. But if she had not bailed her husband out of jail, her daughter might still be alive.
That said, I knew a couple where the dh met and married his dw in Poland. They married, and had 4 or 5 kids within 7 years, the poor woman was always pregnant (but she did speak fluent english). I found out several years after they left my dds school that the dh was beating on the woman....he was telling her if she called the police she would be deported and would never see the kids again. She wasn't even illegal. So, I can see this loser using this threat on his wife as well. And as threats go, it would be very effective.
Agreed. Sometimes the heart is not so smart. I often wonder why women stay in violent relationships but I realize that many have low self esteem and think they can't make it without the loser masquerading as a man in their lives.

I wonder how she will be able to live with herself knowing that had she left, her child would be alive today.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
A woman's immigration status is up in the air after her husband kills their daughter and then himself.

Photos
BY KETTY RODRIGUEZ
El Nuevo Herald
First her husband killed their young daughter before turning the gun on himself.

Now, 25-year-old Jissela Cabello may be deported back to Paraguay, her attorney says.

Jorge Rivera says his client lost her legal status when her husband, 34-year-old Victor Cabello, killed himself last week. Cabello had been in the process of obtaining his U.S. citizenship when he shot his sleeping child and then himself early Friday.

When he died, so did his citizenship petition, Rivera said.

Jissela Cabello, who works as a dancer at Alley Cats near Coral Gables, would have obtained permanent legal residence through her husband, Rivera said. If she does not obtain a special visa that provides legal permanent residency for victims of domestic abuse, she may face deportation.

Two weeks before the deaths, Jissela had called police about her husband, alleging domestic abuse. However, she soon bailed him out of jail and vowed she would never report him to the police again.

But at 8 a.m. Friday, she called Miami police again, asking for help in retrieving her clothes.

When officers arrived at the house in the 1700 block of Northwest North River Drive, they found the 4-year-old girl and her father shot dead.

Earlier that morning, according to Jissela, Victor had called her to say their daughter, Yesennia Nicole Cabello, was ill and that he was going to take her to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

He never did.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/698902.html (broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. Sometimes the heart is not so smart. I often wonder why women stay in violent relationships but I realize that many have low self esteem and think they can't make it without the loser masquerading as a man in their lives.

I wonder how she will be able to live with herself knowing that had she left, her child would be alive today.
I don't think I could live with myself. Whether she stays here or goes to Paraguay the guilt will go with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration