Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Multiculturalism does not unite people, it divides them. It's not what united this country.
In fact, no country has survived with multiculturalism.
Intolerance of others divides people. Acceptance of others unites people.

I agree multiculturalism doesn't work when certain people are ignorant and fearful of those who aren't exactly like them.

With that said, the culture of Hispanics, which make up most of the illegal immigrants in this country, isn't all that different than American culture. They are both spawned from European culture.

The clash of cultures shouldn't be as dramatic as you guys claim, except for language.
But then there's plenty of countries where many languages are spoken that aren't exactly crumbling.

Europe, for example, as a continent is full of polyglots as well as a mix of cultures. And I'm not just talking about the Muslim immigrants(which might be a better example of cultures clashing than Mexicans in the United States).

*please don't anyone jump in and say "illegal is illegal" or "we don't have to be accepting of illegals!".
They brought up multiculturalism, so that's what I'm discussing.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Intolerance of others divides people. Acceptance of others unites people.

I agree multiculturalism doesn't work when certain people are ignorant and fearful of those who aren't exactly like them.

With that said, the culture of Hispanics, which make up most of the illegal immigrants in this country, isn't all that different than American culture. They are both spawned from European culture.

The clash of cultures shouldn't be as dramatic as you guys claim, except for language.
But then there's plenty of countries where many languages are spoken that aren't exactly crumbling.

Europe, for example, as a continent is full of polyglots as well as a mix of cultures. And I'm not just talking about the Muslim immigrants(which might be a better example of cultures clashing than Mexicans in the United States).

*please don't anyone jump in and say "illegal is illegal" or "we don't have to be accepting of illegals!".
They brought up multiculturalism, so that's what I'm discussing.
I haven't read this thread, and probably won't....I don't happen to believe that "kitten-torturing" reflects on any group, and has nothing to do with immigration.

I WAS, however, drawn to comment on your reference to multiculturalism....and it's one of my most frequent gripes. I do not think that multiculturalism, in its truest sense, can exist for long in ANY nation...nor does it exist anywhere today without serious 'conditions'. (Europe, of course, isn't a nation...it's a collection of nations, and I'm not at all convinced its future will be one we'll want to emulate here).

Cultures, by the very definition, are what forms our most intimate "core values"...our sense of right vs wrong, acceptable vs unacceptable, and how we live and relate to family, neighbors, and society at large.

Cultures, at BEST, have some failures to 'see eye to eye' with each other...and at worst, are violently opposed. One man's "right" is another man's "wrong", and that is not negotiable.

The ONLY way multiple cultures can exist side-by-side in peace, is for one of the following to take place:

(1) Everyone "give in" to the others, and modify his culture to co-exist...

(2) Agree to live under a rigid, draconian set of laws in which NO ONE is allowed to do ANYTHING which might 'outrage' his neighbor..

or..(3) One culture (probably the more aggressive one) simply begins to dominate the others, and push them aside..

There's really no other option. The first option (we all unanimously and cheerfully elect to simply 'get along') will work fine...IF you have a population of 100% 'nice, easy-going people'. Unfortunately, that's not the case, and not everyone of ANY group is willing to voluntarily 'give in'..(which, by the way, frequently necessitates condoning things that one may feel are 'wrong')...so THEN what?

Cultures by nature are 'jealous' and 'exclusive'. No culture on earth truly feels that OTHER cultures are its 'equal'. Every culture feels its way is the RIGHT way....and that the others, if not WRONG, are at least misguided and mistaken.

Multiculturalism as a theoretical concept may sound fun and interesting. It works well up to a point (food, music, art. etc). But TRUE multiculturalism, involving value systems, gender roles, personal responsibility, freedom, etc etc etc, is NOT really possible, because cultures at this level are incompatible.

Widely differeing cultures may be interesting and 'colorful' when they exist on opposite sides of oceans, mountain ranges, or borders. But when they exist across a street or a backyard fence, it's an easy recipe for disaster....unless SOMEBODY gives in, and in a very big way....and if that happens, then it's not 'multiculturalism' after all.

As far as your reference to "Muslims in Europe"?....hmmm. From what I hear, while the laid-back Europeans seem eager enough to join with their new Muslim 'guests' in peace and harmony, I get the sense that this is a bit one-sided, and that many of these 'newcomers' have just about ZERO interest in Europe, OR its people, OR its culture, or its values....hardly what I'd call a successful example of multiculturalism. More like one culture setting out to simply 'replace' another.

Then again, we're not Europe...

Last edited by macmeal; 12-13-2008 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is what they consider wonderful family values I suppose! These kids are sick and will grow up to do Lord knows what to humans in our country.

Young boys kill kitten; CPS investigates

December 5th, 2008 @ 6:41pm

Two young boys have admitted to stoning and later killing a kitten in an east Mesa trailer park, and authorities are trying to determine what to do about the suspects.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, whose Animal Crimes Unit investigated the October incident, said the boys, 6- and 7-years-old, are too young to be charged with animal cruelty. Arizona state law prohibits charging anyone under the age of eight with a crime.

Further complicating the family situation is the fact that the mother of the 7-year-old is an illegal immigrant, the sheriff said.
Well -- look at their own country's national sport of bull fighting. That's simply about people taking children to watch someone torture an animal to death, a very cruel death.

Most these kids have fathers or uncles that think ****-fighting is the best thing ever. Imagine putting razors on birds' feet and watching them bleed to death just for the thrill of it?

Or their rodeos where frightened mares are set loose and then have a rope thrown around their hooves to trip them -- much to the delight of the audience. All the better when this results in a broken leg or hoof removed from the injured mare.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Multiculturism and diversity is what creates unity. How the hell do these boys represent a whole culture?
The culture they represent does enjoy animal abuse. The way animals are viewed is very much cultural. When sports like horse tripping are seen as great amusement, you get different attitudes toward animals, it's simple.

American families wouldn't find it acceptable for their kids to view much of what goes on at the Mexican rodeos. Some of it is fine but some it it is nothing more than animal cruelty. Bull fighting is extremely cruel and very likely these kids were doing what they see done to a bull.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- look at their own country's national sport of bull fighting. That's simply about people taking children to watch someone torture an animal to death, a very cruel death.

Most these kids have fathers or uncles that think ****-fighting is the best thing ever. Imagine putting razors on birds' feet and watching them bleed to death just for the thrill of it?

Or their rodeos where frightened mares are set loose and then have a rope thrown around their hooves to trip them -- much to the delight of the audience. All the better when this results in a broken leg or hoof removed from the injured mare.
Their "country" is the United States...Read and try again...

anyways, don't we still have Rodeos in the USA...and isn't calf roping still an event?

1. You assume they have been to a bullfight or cockfight...
2. The fact is that they were playing GTA (A violent American Game)

It has zero to do with culture and 100% to due with mental illness...

Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Macmeal wrote:
Quote:
Cultures, by the very definition, are what forms our most intimate "core values"...our sense of right vs wrong, acceptable vs unacceptable, and how we live and relate to family, neighbors, and society at large.

Cultures, at BEST, have some failures to 'see eye to eye' with each other...and at worst, are violently opposed. One man's "right" is another man's "wrong", and that is not negotiable.

The ONLY way multiple cultures can exist side-by-side in peace, is for one of the following to take place:

(2) Agree to live under a rigid, draconian set of laws in which NO ONE is allowed to do ANYTHING which might 'outrage' his neighbor..

or..(3) One culture (probably the more aggressive one) simply begins to dominate the others, and push them aside..
Excellent discription Macmeal, Thank you.

I'm going to try and put some of this into "other words" and more direct term(s).

I'm just a Blue Collar redneck hillbilly, so my vocabulary isn't as good as some posters here.

OK.correct me if I'm wrong please.

Cultures are like "religious traditions", or would "regional traditions" be more appropriate? Either way, Religion has it's part in this too.
Everyone, every region and every religion has their own, and have not intention of lettin' go of it. There are some that eventually are willing to change and do.
Now, if all traditions, religions and lifestyles were compatible and acceptible to one another, I don't think there would be a need for,,"seperation of Church and State" or assimulation.

Quote:
Simply put........ in order for multicultures to exist in peace, is to stay out of one anothers turf...=="Divide up"

are any bells ringing?

Now those are my discription from my experiences. I'm sure some won't unerstand my way of thinking......but I sure as hell do.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
They learn from their Illegal parents.

YouTube - Bullfighting: The Cruel Truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3WvF...eature=related

YouTube - Mexican Rodeo Horse Tripping

Not that it doesn't happen in the USA

YouTube - GRAPHIC -- Criminal Horse Abuse at Oklahoma Prison Rodeo

We just see it as the cruelty as it is, not something we'd take young children to witness.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This is what they consider wonderful family values I suppose! These kids are sick and will grow up to do Lord knows what to humans in our country.

December 5th, 2008 @ 6:41pm

Two young boys have admitted to stoning and later killing a kitten in an east Mesa trailer park, and authorities are trying to determine what to do about the suspects.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, whose Animal Crimes Unit investigated the October incident, said the boys, 6- and 7-years-old, are too young to be charged with animal cruelty. Arizona state law prohibits charging anyone under the age of eight with a crime.

Further complicating the family situation is the fact that the mother of the 7-year-old is an illegal immigrant, the sheriff said.
These monster brats are old enough to know that was wrong! This story makes me sick. So disgusting how the illegals come here and have their babies to make them citizens. Deport every single one of them that did not come in the U.S. legally. What kind of mentality did these monster kids have? And just what do you think they will do as they get older; they will turn their sick hate onto humans. Something needs to be done with these kids regardless of their age. They need some serious help, which of course the U.S. taxpayers will end up paying for.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:28 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I haven't read this thread, and probably won't....I don't happen to believe that "kitten-torturing" reflects on any group, and has nothing to do with immigration.

I WAS, however, drawn to comment on your reference to multiculturalism....and it's one of my most frequent gripes. I do not think that multiculturalism, in its truest sense, can exist for long in ANY nation...nor does it exist anywhere today without serious 'conditions'. (Europe, of course, isn't a nation...it's a collection of nations, and I'm not at all convinced its future will be one we'll want to emulate here).

There's really no other option. The first option (we all unanimously and cheerfully elect to simply 'get along') will work fine...IF you have a population of 100% 'nice, easy-going people'. Unfortunately, that's not the case, and not everyone of ANY group is willing to voluntarily 'give in'..(which, by the way, frequently necessitates condoning things that one may feel are 'wrong')...so THEN what?

Cultures by nature are 'jealous' and 'exclusive'. No culture on earth truly feels that OTHER cultures are its 'equal'. Every culture feels its way is the RIGHT way....and that the others, if not WRONG, are at least misguided and mistaken.

Multiculturalism as a theoretical concept may sound fun and interesting. It works well up to a point (food, music, art. etc). But TRUE multiculturalism, involving value systems, gender roles, personal responsibility, freedom, etc etc etc, is NOT really possible, because cultures at this level are incompatible.

Widely differeing cultures may be interesting and 'colorful' when they exist on opposite sides of oceans, mountain ranges, or borders. But when they exist across a street or a backyard fence, it's an easy recipe for disaster....unless SOMEBODY gives in, and in a very big way....and if that happens, then it's not 'multiculturalism' after all.

As far as your reference to "Muslims in Europe"?....hmmm. From what I hear, while the laid-back Europeans seem eager enough to join with their new Muslim 'guests' in peace and harmony, I get the sense that this is a bit one-sided, and that many of these 'newcomers' have just about ZERO interest in Europe, OR its people, OR its culture, or its values....hardly what I'd call a successful example of multiculturalism. More like one culture setting out to simply 'replace' another.

Then again, we're not Europe...
Wanna see just how wonderful "multiculturism" is? Visit New York.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Multiculturism and diversity is what creates unity. How the hell do these boys represent a whole culture?
Diversity creates unity? They mean the exact opposite.

We have separate countries for the purpose of having diversity and different cultures.

It's very divisive when the people living in a nation cannot speak the same language, have nothing in common, hold very different viewpoints and outlooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration