Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

ok, i dont know why a duplicate thread was started after i posted this same news in another thread... maybe you guys dont like the LA times

anyhow, DNA testing isnt 100%, but its a step closer to more security. do i trust lab techs and cops and handlers? not entirely. do i know people get mixed up in bad situations? ya. but at this point what else do we have? they dont do retinal scans. they dont gather other bio/metric info. thye dont do a lot other things they could do.
but i dont want to entirely base my trust on science when it comes to the LAW. the texas legal system is one big example of mishandling.

im not opposed to this, but i do have concerns.

for example, the LAPD has such a backlog of DNA rape Kits that some cases have exceeded the statute of limitations, thus rendering the samples inadmissable in court.

how will they really process all these records? will there be a trial run to gauge efficacy? how will they make sure its not a waste of money and is yeilding optimal results?
how will they expedite cases? will it be based on severity of crime? is it for all people found to be in the country illegally?

it seems like money might be limited in this current economic recession, how will they ensure that the resources are expended where they should?

are they going to roll up on a gaggle of workers hanging out at home depot and swab them? will it be done at the jails? will they do it while enforcing workplace raids? will they only DNA the rapists, DUI's? what pecking order will be implemented.

there might be quite a few kinks to work out, the legal challenges might limit the reach of this and the money might not exist. im just not very positive this will roll out.

im not against it, i just dont see it working too smoothly. but it is a definite step towrds providing more security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ok, i dont know why a duplicate thread was started after i posted this same news in another thread... maybe you guys dont like the LA times

anyhow, DNA testing isnt 100%, but its a step closer to more security. do i trust lab techs and cops and handlers? not entirely. do i know people get mixed up in bad situations? ya. but at this point what else do we have? they dont do retinal scans. they dont gather other bio/metric info. thye dont do a lot other things they could do.
but i dont want to entirely base my trust on science when it comes to the LAW. the texas legal system is one big example of mishandling.

for example, the LAPD has such a backlog of DNA rape Kits that some cases have exceeded the statute of limitations, thus rendering the samples inadmissable in court.

how will they really process all these records? will there be a trial run to gauge efficacy? how will they make sure its not a waste of money and is yeilding optimal results?
how will they expedite cases? will it be based on severity of crime? is it for all people found to be in the country illegally?

it seems like money might be limited in this current economic recession, how will they ensure that the resources are expended where they should?

are they going to roll up on a gaggle of workers hanging out at home depot and swab them? will it be done at the jails? will they do it while enforcing workplace raids? will they only DNA the rapists, DUI's? what pecking order will be implemented.

there might be quite a few kinks to work out, the legal challenges might limit the reach of this and the money might not exist. im just not very positive this will roll out.

im not against it, i just dont see it working too smoothly. but it is a definite step towrds providing more security.
Don’t feel bad. I’ve posted threads that fell to the bottom of the page and were later posted by others. It’s no biggie. It’s simply a matter of timing.

No procedure is infallible; but anything is better than what we have now.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
Quote:

At the very minimum the Border Patrol definitely needs to start taking a DNA sample from every illegal alien detained trying to cross the border. I actually thought that they were already smart enough to do that. If the first break in apprehension of an illegal is a deportable "misdemeanor", then any subsequent break in apprehension by the illegal would be a felony. The illegal would then be readily identified by his DNA. So what if a few illegal border jumpers are misidentified by errors in the DNA process. That would just be another hazard to breaking in uninvited into the US.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Don’t feel bad. I’ve posted threads that fell to the bottom of the page and were later posted by others. It’s no biggie. It’s simply a matter of timing.

No procedure is infallible; but anything is better than what we have now.
yes i agree, ms. b. i think we have some pretty good heads here that can foresee most problems that may arise in the implementation process. why dont the posters like to take it to that level. we discuss the kinks here, those letter writers that visit the forum can then take it up with te authors of this bill/law and ensure smooth sailing.

people on this forum dont like to take it to that level. its been a lot of complaining. and thats just a drag.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I was refering to the ACLU
Please accept my apologies. There is so much bashing on here I assumed incorrectly.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
yes i agree, ms. b. i think we have some pretty good heads here that can foresee most problems that may arise in the implementation process. why dont the posters like to take it to that level. we discuss the kinks here, those letter writers that visit the forum can then take it up with te authors of this bill/law and ensure smooth sailing.

people on this forum dont like to take it to that level. its been a lot of complaining. and thats just a drag.
Many of the regular members on this forum routinely communicate our concerns and suggestions to members of Congress. I’m sure they have a dossier on me, including Obama’s camp. But that's ok, I have nothing to hide.

Every illegal alien caught in this country should be fingerprinted and submit DNA to be entered into a national database. It will most likely be trial and error, but it is doable.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
It's about time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration