Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Oh please, have you ever worked with an immigrant from Mexico or Central/South America? They are very hard workers who are extremely happy to be here. Chances are they are harder workers and complain less than most of the domestic workers here. You want to turn this into racial and how hispanics are so bad? How about the black people who spend their welfare money on rims, or the white union workers who complain because their unskilled jobs making 35 dollars an hour are going away. Don't act like it isn't everybody here who isn't complaining. USA is land of the free, we're allowed to speak any language we want!
Are Hispanic immigrants more hardworking then other immigrant groups? Now who is being a racist?
I don't know why you accuse me of injecting race into this -- isn't that what this thread all about? Comparing earlier European immigrants against todays predominantly Hispanic immigrant? The facts do not lie though....todays immigrant of any race/nationality has it a hundred times better then immigrants of old. And have attitudes changed that much towards immigrants? Like I pointed out, as ugly as it may be there is always a little fact in the basest of slurs....overcrowding whether in a tenement or a rented house breeds disease as well crime. That holds true no matter who the immigrant group happens to be. And as far as gaining a profeciency in English -- immigrants had to learn English if they hoped to make it in their new world. Today....well, yes if you are an immigrant from Asia, Africa or the Mediterrean you do have to learn English or forever be at an enormous disadvantage. Not so Spanish speaking immigrants. So again, want to tell me how hard the 'hispanics' have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
poor lil cub. people dont flee their culture. they migrate towards oportunities.

:
They DON'T ?..are you SURE?...you must not be familiar with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She's a Somali-born Dutch legislator, who was so upset about her culture's treatment of women (she's one, herself) that she collaborated with Dutch writer Theo van Gogh to create the film "Submission".

Van Gogh was murdered by Islamic fundamentalists, who left their message pinned to his body with a dagger....and Ayaan Hirsi Ali now basically lives in fear for her life.

I think you could say she "fled her culture". Whether this could be applied to illegals here is debatable..but they're certainly fleeing from the unfair conditions in their (sometimes not too 'poor') societies. Is this 'fleeing their culture'? I don't know...what's culture, anyway, if it's not the way people treat each other...or how fair their society is?

OK, so illegals aren't fleeing their language, or their cuisine, or their music...but their "culture ?" Who says they're not? Isn't massively unfair treatment of the poor, and class envy, and uneven distribution of wealth, part of someone's "culture"? Seems like it to me.....

Just wondering.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Oh please, have you ever worked with an immigrant from Mexico or Central/South America? They are very hard workers who are extremely happy to be here. Chances are they are harder workers and complain less than most of the domestic workers here. You want to turn this into racial and how hispanics are so bad? How about the black people who spend their welfare money on rims, or the white union workers who complain because their unskilled jobs making 35 dollars an hour are going away. Don't act like it isn't everybody here who isn't complaining. USA is land of the free, we're allowed to speak any language we want!
If you are an illegal alien working in this country, it would behoove you to “work hard” and “complain less” than your legal counterparts. Heck, the slaves were also hard-workers, without pay; and I dare say, they didn’t complain -- at least not in front of their masters.

Legalize all of these illegal aliens, and we shall see just how “hardworking” they truly are. Chances are; many would work hard at collecting a welfare check, just like many other U.S. citizens.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Because they can easily, since Mexico shares a very long border with the United States.
It's very easy to come illegally from Mexico, that's why many Chinese and others do it as well. But they have to come all the way from across the world.

They should fight for the rights back home? Why didn't all the many other people who came to the United States do that? If they had the ability to walk across the border by land, how many of them would have come illegally?

Do you have it in you to 'grow a pair and fight of your rights'? You never had to, so you wouldn't know.

I don't know how you use that to draw conclusions about a culture.
I would 'grow a pair' and fight for my rights as an American.

Again; my sympathy towards Mexico's failure as a society is zero.

As it stands: Mx is showing the classic signs of collapse.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you are an illegal alien working in this country, it would behoove you to “work hard” and “complain less” than your legal counterparts. Heck, the slaves were also hard-workers, without pay; and I dare say, they didn’t complain -- at least not in front of their masters.

Legalize all of these illegal aliens, and we shall see just how “hardworking” they truly are. Chances are; many would work hard at collecting a welfare check, just like many other U.S. citizens.
You know that and I know that----------the DREAMies and their ilk will never admit to defrauding the USA. Typical criminal behavior.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
yes some people flee persecution.
but not their culture.
thats like when silly JDM (in a dif thread) tried to say that mexico had a corrupt culture. thats an inaccurate statement. there are corrupt individuals. there is police corruption. there is persecution, based on religion, but the culture is not only religion and corruption.

fleeing persectution (mostly based on religion) is a seperate beast in and of itself.

these people would be asylum seekers, and they are special cases.

they flee persecution. im sure the woman you referenced enjoys some of her somali culture, even while seeking asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
They DON'T ?..are you SURE?...you must not be familiar with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She's a Somali-born Dutch legislator, who was so upset about her culture's treatment of women (she's one, herself) that she collaborated with Dutch writer Theo van Gogh to create the film "Submission".

Van Gogh was murdered by Islamic fundamentalists, who left their message pinned to his body with a dagger....and Ayaan Hirsi Ali now basically lives in fear for her life.

I think you could say she "fled her culture". Whether this could be applied to illegals here is debatable..but they're certainly fleeing from the unfair conditions in their (sometimes not too 'poor') societies. Is this 'fleeing their culture'? I don't know...what's culture, anyway, if it's not the way people treat each other...or how fair their society is?

OK, so illegals aren't fleeing their language, or their cuisine, or their music...but their "culture ?" Who says they're not? Isn't massively unfair treatment of the poor, and class envy, and uneven distribution of wealth, part of someone's "culture"? Seems like it to me.....

Just wondering.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
if it keeps on allying itself with the US, collapse might occur. if it allies itself with the rising powers in the south (aside from being an "observer") it will harness its many many resources and become powerful. the south of america (brazil, chile, arg, etc) will be a major force. where will mexico stand? who knows. it has the potential.

i think it will continue its quid pro quo situation with the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Hm...
Organized Crime problem
Corruption
division among class

....yeah, definitely classic signs of collapse. We definitely never experienced that as a country.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
Hm...
Organized Crime problem
Corruption
division among class

....yeah, definitely classic signs of collapse. We definitely never experienced that as a country.
The U.S has it's problems, but it is not so bad to the point where millions of Americans are illegally crossing the border into Mexico in order to experience "The Mexican Dream" of a better quality of life.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Hm...
Organized Crime problem
Corruption
division among class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The U.S has it's problems, but it is not so bad to the point where millions of Americans are illegally crossing the border into Mexico in order to experience "The Mexican Dream" of a better quality of life.
The proof is the flow of illegal aliens into the USA from Mexico--------which is being choked off due in part to the tougher enforcement of our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration