Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

the fence here had enormous effect. it moved illegal immigration in american from california to other states. lamentable but we were the entry-- 80% of all illegal immigration came thru here b4.
when the fence was finished los pinos just howled and CDF was smoking. entry here is a trickle of what it was. we have not received thank you notes from the drug cartels either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default Great News For America!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
At her Senate confirmation hearing, Napolitano said there is a role for fencing around urban areas. "It helps prevent those who are crossing illegally from blending immediately into a town population," Napolitano told senators.

Officials have said the border security improvements - like the fence - are working, and fewer people are trying to illegally cross from Mexico into the United States. Some of that can be attributed to economic woes and fewer jobs in the U.S.

The fence has been controversial since its inception and has faced several lawsuits, none successful so far.

Congress authorized the fence in 2005 to help secure the border and slow illegal immigration. Lawmakers also gave the Homeland Security secretary the power to waive federal laws, such as environmental protections, when erecting the fence. Obama, as a senator, voted for the project.

Congress has set aside $2.7 billion for the fence since 2006. There's no estimate how much the entire system - the physical fence and the technology - will cost to build, let alone maintain.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks revived the immigration debate and advanced the idea of a border fence. Intelligence officials have said gaps along the Southwestern border could provide opportunities for terrorists to enter the country.

Boeing Co. has the contract for the technology portion of the fence, as well as for some construction work. The company's contract for the technology expires this year.
US-Mexico border fence almost complete | Breaking News | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/190/story/1168032.html - broken link)

HOORAY! I really wish they had gotten the blue prints from Israel and built the fence around the entire perimeter of the southern border.
Good Morning,

Indeed this is without a doubt most "Welcome News" for American Citizens from the length and breadth of this great nation !

We must remain ever vigilant in this vital matter and resolve to follow thru with all the intricate security measures at our disposal to effectively ensure the total success of "Controling America's Southern Border" !

America ... "The Nation Of Law's", must not waver in it's committment to ultimately shield the American People from the insidious and destructive invasion of "Illegal Aliens"! These folks are "Law Breakers" in the highest degree and should be absolutely dealt with as such !

Yes ..... Finish the "Great Wall", Maintain It Well, & Provide A Large & Well Armed Security Force & Or Military Force To Ensure It's Successful Operation !!!

This is the type of outstanding news that the citizens of this great nation have been anxiously awaiting .

Thank You / Lamar

Old 12-13-2009, 03:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the fence here had enormous effect. it moved illegal immigration in american from california to other states. lamentable but we were the entry-- 80% of all illegal immigration came thru here b4.
when the fence was finished los pinos just howled and CDF was smoking. entry here is a trickle of what it was. we have not received thank you notes from the drug cartels either.
Priceless!

Side note here: it is becoming quite deadly for illegals attempting to access the USA via Arizona as well.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 73,006 times
Its will have to be fence bigger and longer that the great wall of china my amigo to keep the people from going around it. Its more of a detur and doesnt stop squat...lol I think the USA needs to build a shuttle train so people can ride to the end of the fence to cross over. Its not fair to make the women and babies walk that far.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnert View Post
Its will have to be fence bigger and longer that the great wall of china my amigo to keep the people from going around it. Its more of a detur and doesnt stop squat...lol I think the USA needs to build a shuttle train so people can ride to the end of the fence to cross over. Its not fair to make the women and babies walk that far.
ROFLMAO! Illegal crossings are down these days...........it is too risky---------especially with the growing hostility towards those losers (illegal aliens) these days.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnert View Post
Its more of a detour. Exactly.. Its much easier to patrol a few known points rather than an entire border. Some might call it herding.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its more of a detour. Exactly.. Its much easier to patrol a few known points rather than an entire border. Some might call it herding.
That's exactly right and it helps the Border Patrol do its job much easier. The pro-illegals know that the fence is making it more difficult for the illegals to cross by this "herding" process and so they try to claim that the fence is worthless and doesn't stop them when in fact it does stop a good lot of them. If it deters even a third of them it is worth it but I suspect the percentages are much higher than that. So the pro-illegals continue to deny and whine about it.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's exactly right and it helps the Border Patrol do its job much easier. The pro-illegals know that the fence is making it more difficult for the illegals to cross by this "herding" process and so they try to claim that the fence is worthless and doesn't stop them when in fact it does stop a good lot of them. If it deters even a third of them it is worth it but I suspect the percentages are much higher than that. So the pro-illegals continue to deny and whine about it.
I agree. It is simple common sense. If you can narrow the entry points to half that means you can focus the man power easier. narrow it to 1/4 and you are making some real progress. This is what that fence is doing.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
You don't have to go around a fence, you can go over, you can go under, you can go through it. There are a lot of smart people south of the border against which a fence and security measures stand no chance.

The reduction in illegal immigration has more to do with the economy and the lack of jobs than it does with a measly fence. I agree with an earlier poster, harsh punishment and effective enforcement of those who HIRE illegals would do more to dam the tide of immigration than a wasteful fence. However, that would take a politically courageous leader; they do not exist in this country. The fence is a solution proposed by the politically cowardly (i.e., a cop out).

The fence is like the war on drugs, a lot of money spent to make a little dent. A waste of my taxes.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
You don't have to go around a fence, you can go over, you can go under, you can go through it. There are a lot of smart people south of the border against which a fence and security measures stand no chance.

The reduction in illegal immigration has more to do with the economy and the lack of jobs than it does with a measly fence. I agree with an earlier poster, harsh punishment and effective enforcement of those who HIRE illegals would do more to dam the tide of immigration than a wasteful fence. However, that would take a politically courageous leader; they do not exist in this country. The fence is a solution proposed by the politically cowardly (i.e., a cop out).

The fence is like the war on drugs, a lot of money spent to make a little dent. A waste of my taxes.
The Berlin Wall was deadly effective in keeping East Germans in East Germany-----------never mind that people on both sides of the Wall did not want it. I see no reason why a similar series of fortifications along the US/Mexico border would not work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration