Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
profiling is an effective law enforcement tool.
civil rights violations are being confused with law enforcement procedures.
enforcement of the law is not violation of civil rights but race card is frequently used to attempt to obstruct justice.
Um racial profiling is about race, card or no card. Granted many of those crossing our souther border by in large are Latino/Hispanic. Agreed. But within those thousands who come here are non-Latino/Hispanic and some even could be terrorists. If we profile, we miss the opportunities to capture terrorists sneaking across the border (sothern in this case) and potentially endangering a larger "legal" population. When they do get in, we scratch our heads and wonder how it happened. Oh that is right, BP were too busy using profiling of Latinos/Hispanics and forgot how to profile a terrorist.

Last I checked we are still in orange alert. I know this orange alert only apply to flying but it still demonstrates there is heightened awareness for terrorists entering the country by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Legal Mexican Immigrants detest the Illegals one.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Um racial profiling is about race, card or no card. Granted many of those crossing our souther border by in large are Latino/Hispanic. Agreed. But within those thousands who come here are non-Latino/Hispanic and some even could be terrorists. If we profile, we miss the opportunities to capture terrorists sneaking across the border (sothern in this case) and potentially endangering a larger "legal" population. When they do get in, we scratch our heads and wonder how it happened. Oh that is right, BP were too busy using profiling of Latinos/Hispanics and forgot how to profile a terrorist.

Last I checked we are still in orange alert. I know this orange alert only apply to flying but it still demonstrates there is heightened awareness for terrorists entering the country by any means.
Hispanic is not a race.

I know a Mexican from Nuevo Leon until she opened here mouth (Mexican Spanish accented English); I would have pegged here as probably Scandinavian. This lady is Nordic White with blue eyes.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Legal Mexican Immigrants detest the Illegals one.
And I do not blame the legal ones one iota.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Funny, we were stopped by BP on our way back from San Diego and we are the color of pasta. They simply asked us if we were US citizens and we said yes, checked the back of the SUV and off we went. No insult taken. Mexican's need to get over themselves and think about their country before the color of their skin. Me thinks they protest too much.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hispanic is not a race.

I know a Mexican from Nuevo Leon until she opened here mouth (Mexican Spanish accented English); I would have pegged here as probably Scandinavian. This lady is Nordic White with blue eyes.
I think your response was meant for Huckle... besides your beef should be with the US census. They classifies people into categories and lump them all under the racial classification right or wrong it flows down into the general population.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Myriam Marquez: Police should focus on crime, not immigration control - 5-Minute Herald - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/938618.html - broken link)

Quote:
We want murderers, rapists, violent drug-dealing thugs and gang bangers off the streets and in prison. If they're in this country illegally, they should do the time and be shipped back home -- without exception.

But that's not necessarily what's happening with the federal program that trains police forces to identify undocumented immigrants arrested for violent crimes.

The program has been abused by cops in various jurisdictions throughout the country, raising concerns they are profiling Hispanics and targeting people for minor traffic violations.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
To be honest I would rather see the local police stepping up and concentrating on crime, drunk driving, traffic violations, etc. Racial profiling by BP as someone posted earlier at best is 50% hit or miss. Those are not good effective odds especially in areas with a large legal base Latino/Hispanic population. Inland versus border is at issue here. BP are spread thin as it is, how effective can they be by spreading them selves thinner along a wider area?

If said police would concentrate on those issues in full force then many communities would not be the cesspool that Ms. Whatever-her-name's-mom is constantly complaining and whining about. People who come here (legal or not) would think twice about committing such acts and endangering the general public. Increase border enforcement of all borders and ICE needs to step up its efforts (in spite of the costs) to go after companies who violate employment laws.
In an ideal world, where everyone 'took care of business' and did his/her job, I'd agree with you....leave the BP on the border, and let the police enforce domestic law. Unfortunately, everyone HASN'T been (or has been PREVENTED from) doing their job, and now we have massive numbers of illegals in the midst of an increasingly strained economy....and they aren't getting an 'happier' to be here, either, as I'm sure you've noticed.

In Southern California, there are at least two MAJOR permanent "interior" checkpoints monitoring northbound traffic, eack of them 50-60 miles from the border. One is on I-5, the other on I-15, both at 'chokepoints' where it's difficult to exit the freeway and take alternate routes. These are BIG installations, with many lanes, and ample space tp pull over for 'secondary checks'....the whole atmosphere is much like an international border crossing. Obviously, these places are here for a reason.

I don't "like" this, as I said...but it does show the value of 'doing things right' early in the game, before we end up later with a giant mess on our hands, and probably MORE anger and frustration NOW, than we'd have had if we'd simply 'done the right thing' 25 years ago. So NOW we're dealing with charges of "racism", and comments about "cesspools".....NICE !....LOVELY !....wonderful what a 'final Amnesty' can accomplish,when it's not taken seriously. (EACH amnesty, you'll recall, is the 'final' amnesty).

You have a country..it's a benevolent country which welcomes legal immigrants, and provides places for millions of newcomers. You want to 'monitor' who enters your country, and you insist that one needs permission before entering......and this is somehow "unreasonable"?...."wrong"?...."mean-spirited"?...I don't know; it sounds pretty reasonable to ME, and MORE than fair, in my opinion...and if we'd DONE THAT the way we should have, today we wouldn't be dealing with the hate, anger, frustration, and misunderstandings that we're seeing on this forum. Lax law enforcement doesn't result in 'gratitude'....it results in demands for even MORE lax law enforcement, ans ultimately in the 'removal' of the law itself, since 'those who ENFORCE it, obviously don't take it seriously'.....Basic Human Nature 101.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Probably very much like white police officers feel about busting "meth heads" in their trailers....or black police officers feel when they have to "bust" gang bangers. You don't think Hispanic Americans are capable of seeing the difference between 'legal' citizens and illegals? I can assure you that MANY see this distinction very clearly.....you just don't see too many of them on this forum.
While I'm sure black cops would very much like to be rid of gangs, I don't think they'd very much like being ordered to pull over every Black male they came across and question his affiliation.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
While I'm sure black cops would very much like to be rid of gangs, I don't think they'd very much like being ordered to pull over every Black male they came across and question his affiliation.
Your point being?

You conveniently omitted commenting about macmeal's statement about White cops busting Meth heads in their trailers-----------nevermind that not all Tweekers are Anglo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration