Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You must be in/near the El Paso area then.

Although according to various sources: since that city is crawling with LE personel------the cartels are trying to fly very far under the radar here. Otherwise it would be open season on them.
The last time I went to Juarez the town looked like a military base, and the army presence has just been reinforced, I doubt the violence will last long, the city has already been more peaceful since the new troops arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
The last time I went to Juarez the town looked like a military base, and the army presence has just been reinforced, I doubt the violence will last long, the city has already been more peaceful since the new troops arrived.
What you just stated would not hurt my feelings at all--------a stable Mexico is in everybody's best interests.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What you just stated would not hurt my feelings at all--------a stable Mexico is in everybody's best interests.
I agree, the same with an stable America

I'm against prohibition but, I support our president on his decision to crack down organized crime, he's got guts and he is fighting the cartels head on.

I do believe that things are reaching a tipping point, where some action has to be taken, what is happening means that those changes are already happening.

Illegals might give a bad impression of Mexico, specially to people who has never visited, but the truth is that the big majority of this country's population wants it to prosper, and we've worked hard to come a long way, we won't stop or be discouraged that easily

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
I agree, the same with an stable America

I'm against prohibition but, I support our president on his decision to crack down organized crime, he's got guts and he is fighting the cartels head on.

I do believe that things are reaching a tipping point, where some action has to be taken, what is happening means that those changes are already happening.

Illegals might give a bad impression of Mexico, specially to people who has never visited, but the truth is that the big majority of this country's population wants it to prosper, and we've worked hard to come a long way, we won't stop or be discouraged that easily
I hope youre right.

I saw this increased violence lately as a sign of desperation by the narcos. Trying to intimidate everyone so to clutch their power while once strong empires crumble with the ensuing chaos of people trying to get their own.
They wouldn't be going so bold if everything was going good for them.

I have recognized Calderon's hard stance against the drug gangs, and despite the criticism, I think it's great what he's doing.

Now if only we can stop all that American money and guns going into Mexico..

But what are we going for anyways? The complete destruction of the narco gangs?
What's the best possible situation? The old status quo?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I hope youre right.

I saw this increased violence lately as a sign of desperation by the narcos. Trying to intimidate everyone so to clutch their power while once strong empires crumble with the ensuing chaos of people trying to get their own.
They wouldn't be going so bold if everything was going good for them.

I have recognized Calderon's hard stance against the drug gangs, and despite the criticism, I think it's great what he's doing.

Now if only we can stop all that American money and guns going into Mexico..

But what are we going for anyways? The complete destruction of the narco gangs?
What's the best possible situation? The old status quo?
I'm not sure, imho narco will never disappear, because as long as there is a desire for drugs, there will be narcos.

But if they are under control, they won't mess with the citizens or intimidate them in anyway that's what I think is the objective of Calderon.

The things he's doing are very good imho, so far he's been able to unite congress and get support for most of his initiatives, actions against organized crime are the ones that get the most attention, but the other initiatives are foundations that will be seen in some years, but all those are right steps in creating a more modern, equal and advanced country.

Some of those foundations are a restructuring of the educative system, the retirement funds reform, now they will reform labor laws, the legal system was reformed recently also, and they were able to finally reform the oil industry as well.

A lot of investments are flowing right now, even in these times of crisis, the one that got my attention the most is that Zacatecas is going to be another Aerospace node, Queretaro is already becoming one, but Zacatecas will have more effect because that's a state that sends a lot of people to the USA.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I hope all that investment in those regions of Mexico helps. In my opinion, good jobs will be the way the cartels and criminal gangs lose control. I believe that those people that are easily recruited by the cartels feel that there's no other way to get ahead. Of course the open border and the ease of bringing drug shipments or any kind of shipments over the border doesn't help at all. The lure of easy money when there's too few jobs that allow for social mobility upwards is too much for many to resist.

Jobs that keep families intact and in Mexico, kids who grow up with good options, motivated to stay in school will hurt the cartels. Educated people tend not to want to die being tortured by the opposing cartel or killed because they tried to leave a job.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
I'm not sure, imho narco will never disappear, because as long as there is a desire for drugs, there will be narcos.

But if they are under control, they won't mess with the citizens or intimidate them in anyway that's what I think is the objective of Calderon.

The things he's doing are very good imho, so far he's been able to unite congress and get support for most of his initiatives, actions against organized crime are the ones that get the most attention, but the other initiatives are foundations that will be seen in some years, but all those are right steps in creating a more modern, equal and advanced country.

Some of those foundations are a restructuring of the educative system, the retirement funds reform, now they will reform labor laws, the legal system was reformed recently also, and they were able to finally reform the oil industry as well.

A lot of investments are flowing right now, even in these times of crisis, the one that got my attention the most is that Zacatecas is going to be another Aerospace node, Queretaro is already becoming one, but Zacatecas will have more effect because that's a state that sends a lot of people to the USA.
Interesting stuff. As an American, I mostly hear about the stuff that directly affects America(immigration, drug cartels), but that is good news to hear and I hope the best.

As someone with family roots and ties to Mexico, I hope the best for it.

Do a lot of people immigrating to the US still come from Zacatecas? That is where my family is originally from, and I understand there are a lot of people from there who settled in the US in the last century.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
I am shocked! The Ninth Circuit is usually a very liberal court. I am surprised.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM

No link handy: but; apparently, the violence from the cartels is an indicator they are losing---------and losing bad.

Those violent criminals are finding out they have no place to hide---------between the growing anger in Mexico as well as here in the USA.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am shocked! The Ninth Circuit is usually a very liberal court. I am surprised.
More and more self described liberals are taking a hard line against illegal immigration for a number of reasons as well.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration