Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Checking out checkpoints

No DL no driving, pretty clear to me. We are passed due blending criminal record checks with immigration status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Checking out checkpoints

No DL no driving, pretty clear to me. We are passed due blending criminal record checks with immigration status.
Quote:
The American Civil Liberties Union has accused the Police Department of using driver's license checkpoints as “fishing expeditions” really aimed at detaining and deporting illegal immigrants.
And that is a bad thing how?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
Once again, the ACLU looking out for the Civil liberties of American Citizens..

Hmm.. Maybe IF I wanted to go out and commit an illegal act and steal someone's identity to work a tax free job maybe the ACLU will come to my aid when the cops knock on my door? Oh that's right, I'm a legal American Citizen.. This offer does not apply..

But I can bet if one of these Asshats steals someone's SSN or hits a driver on the road (heaven forbid possibly disabling them), the ACLU will likely jump to the illegal's aid providing them legal representation.. Nice!

Last edited by bipolarpunk; 05-05-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: add in

Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM

It is the job of the Police to ensure that everyone on our roads is sober, licensed and insured. How the ACLU expects that Illegals get a free pass on this is beyond me.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
It is the job of the Police to ensure that everyone on our roads is sober, licensed and insured. How the ACLU expects that Illegals get a free pass on this is beyond me.
I know this is outrageous, they should give illegal aliens a Drivers license so they can get insurance and get points for driving drunk.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I know this is outrageous, they should give illegal aliens a Drivers license so they can get insurance and get points for driving drunk.
Since most are peasants they would do what most poor do, buy the bare minimum to get a license and registration then let it lapse. Ya, that is a winning idea.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
1AngryTaxPayer,

I came over from the link that you gave me on the other thread. But, i don't think this supports the idea of using police officers as immigration agents.

From an excerpt of the article:

"But Maher rejected the idea of recording all police interactions at the checkpoints, noting that only seven people have been turned over to immigration authorities since they were implemented in 2004."

Maybe I'm naive and believe what he says, but that's not even 1 person a year, hardly a law enforcement-immigration officer task force. I have visited several friends in La Perla, a city close to Escondido, and If those raids were to target specifically illegal immigrants, there would be a whole lot more turned over to the INS.

On other area of the article:

"She (Guerrero) said there is nothing to prevent officers from asking the drivers for their immigration status. Maher had said his department prohibits those questions as a matter of policy. Only illegal immigrants with criminal records, or who are immigration fugitives with court orders for their arrest, are handed over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement"
And on this I somewhat agree with him, illegal immigrants, just as any other person should be arrested if the have a warrant out for their arrest or they are suspects of a criminal charge. ( No, being illegally on the country doesn't apply on this case). And i do have mixed feelings about those who are immigrations fugitives, and have court orders. i think it has to do more with what you would normally expect from the police. If you have a warrant out, immigration related or not, I would expect to be arrested at a checkpoint. If you don't, I would expect not to.

Quote:
Since most are peasants they would do what most poor do, buy the bare minimum to get a license and registration then let it lapse. Ya, that is a winning idea
That's a lot of assumptions, New Mexico gives you the ability to get a DL without having to prove your immigration status. And i know several people who even though they are poor, they go out of their way (plane tickets from other states) to go to get one and keep it current. If you lived in Escondido, and you get a DL and insurance, and you know you will have no problem on the checkpoints as long as you don't let it lapse. Would you not do everything on your power to keep those things current? I know i would.

I just got an idea regarding this, have them renew the License every or two and have prepaid the insurance in order to get the license. Or, just like the insurance company notifies my mortgage holder if my home insurance lapses, have the insurer notify the DMV and report the lapse in insurance. This could be implemented for everyone with a license legal or not, since un/underinsured motorist are not only illegal immigrants.

Poor is not equivalent to irresponsible, especially for someone who has not had the same opportunities as your average U.S. resident.

I do have to add though, i was under the impression that absolutely all police interactions were recorded. I doubt that lack of storage space is the reason why they are not, so I can't help and wonder, why are they all not recorded?

-Kellem

Last edited by Kellem; 05-06-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM

I'm advocating the use of Police as immigration not them. State by State is being forced to do something about out of control illegal immigration because the Feds are sitting on their hands.

Escondido has a huge Illegal Alien population so it's a pretty safe assumption that they are the ones doing the crime. They get deported so they have a pretty good reason to flee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration