Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that people need to speak Fluent English to become American Citizens. Just a knowledge of a few words. I also read that there is no English requirement to get a GREEN CARD. So you can work and openly travel around our great country but not know a word of English.

Also the citizenship rule about speaking and reading English is ignored because the requirement is waived or ignored in many cases.

Do you think there should be a requirement that someone speaks fluent English to be a true American? Why or why not?.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Do you think there should be a requirement that someone speaks fluent English to be a true American? Why or why not?.
No, because it would be too much of a shock for someone like a Navajo raised in a traditional home who only speaks his native language. It would also conflict with the fact tht those born in Puerto Rico are american citizens.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I read somewhere that people need to speak Fluent English to become American Citizens. Just a knowledge of a few words. I also read that there is no English requirement to get a GREEN CARD. So you can work and openly travel around our great country but not know a word of English.

Also the citizenship rule about speaking and reading English is ignored because the requirement is waived or ignored in many cases.

yes. absolutely. to ensure the success of the immigrant,it shoud be a requirement that he/she speaks english. Other countries have rigid requirements for a person to become a citizen of that country usually based on $$$ or if that person can start a business. Speaking English seems like a miniscule thing to ask of someone who wants to live here legally.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
I guess if one is mute and cannot speak at all then the person would be ineligible for citizenship.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
It should be a requirement for those immigrating to the US. Burdell pointed out reasons why it shouldn't be applied to those who are already citizens.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Let me tell you a short story. My uncle spoke very little English. He was from Italy. His family emigrated(legally) and he had to go to work. School was a luxury. America went to war in 1941 and he volunteered. He served for 6 years in the South Pacific during WWII. When he returned to the US to be discharged, they learned he wasn't a citizen. After a bit or wrangling, they gave him his citizenship.

He still didn't speak much English. Should we have denied him citizenship because of that?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
We have visited this subject before and I will say my opinion here again: my Dad was one of those people who didn't speak much English. You may not think he "deserved" his citizenship status but if he didn't become one, I wouldn't be one. I know for d*mn sure that I'm an American.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
We have visited this subject before and I will say my opinion here again: my Dad was one of those people who didn't speak much English. You may not think he "deserved" his citizenship status but if he didn't become one, I wouldn't be one. I know for d*mn sure that I'm an American.
When did you dad come here ?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Let me tell you a short story. My uncle spoke very little English. He was from Italy. His family emigrated(legally) and he had to go to work. School was a luxury. America went to war in 1941 and he volunteered. He served for 6 years in the South Pacific during WWII. When he returned to the US to be discharged, they learned he wasn't a citizen. After a bit or wrangling, they gave him his citizenship.

He still didn't speak much English. Should we have denied him citizenship because of that?
I'd say he more the earned his citizenship.....But how did he serve 6 years in the pacific during WW II? The war only lasted for 3 years....

Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Good thing you don't have to know all the language of the true Americans (indians) who were here before we were ..Englanders say we don't speak proper English anyway..

t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration