Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times

Advertisements

The most outrageous part is that cancer treatment is available in Mexico. They opened a new hospital specifically for cancer patients in Mexico City in 2006, yet the Mexican illegals act as if they are going to die if the US does not provide them with 'free' cancer treatment.

Cancer in Mexico - ASCO AN&F (http://tinyurl.com/ycdflr7 - broken link)

They have hospitals dedicated solely to the care of cancer patients, they have 1000 oncologists and the certification process that their oncologists must complete has the exact same rules and requirements as the American and European processes , it is unclear to me why it is that mexican illegal aliens have to stay in the US for cancer treatment.

That is great for them! How does this pertain to the conversation?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
My undestanding is that if an illegal alien goes to an emergency room, and turns out to need long term care, the hospital must provide that care. Once seen by a doctor, and diagnosed, they can't be refused future care.
Right, but they would have to pay for said care.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Tell me some more about this 'fact'.
They have to pay for care...In fact some people raised money by selling tamales...as illustrated in this post in 2007 on this exact forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...nt-during.html

In fact you commented on this post. Free treatment for $18,000? I don't think so...

Old 10-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I hardly would call 2% a large percentage....

"What about work? Why should an illegal hold a job that's needed by an American citizen? The Los Angeles Times reported that only 2 percent of illegals pick crops, but 29 percent are on welfare."

Pushing toward amnesty, Part 3
Really? Not according to a 2006 USToday report

"Illegal immigrants are concentrated in construction, agriculture and cleaning jobs. They make up 36% of all insulation workers, 29% of agricultural workers and 29% of roofers."

USATODAY.com - Illegal immigrants expanding footprint

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The most outrageous part is that cancer treatment is available in Mexico. They opened a new hospital specifically for cancer patients in Mexico City in 2006, yet the Mexican illegals act as if they are going to die if the US does not provide them with 'free' cancer treatment.

Cancer in Mexico - ASCO AN&F (http://tinyurl.com/ycdflr7 - broken link)

They have hospitals dedicated solely to the care of cancer patients, they have 1000 oncologists and the certification process that their oncologists must complete has the exact same rules and requirements as the American and European processes , it is unclear to me why it is that mexican illegal aliens have to stay in the US for cancer treatment.

That is great for them! How does this pertain to the conversation?
If a Mexican illegal alien develops cancer in the US, then they need to go back home to Mexico for care instead of expecting us to provide it for them. We have already discussed the Mexican program that provides healthcare for the poor with a sliding scale payment based on the ability to pay so we know there is care available. There is no reason for them to stay here. I do not care if they want to stay here or have lived here a long time or whatever. That never seems to be a problem when they decide to uproot and move to the US, so it should not impede their moving back to Mexico either.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Let’s face it. Most illegals come here to work. And they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling. We have whole industries based on the labor of illegal aliens. Think of all the work illegal aliens do hand-picking vegetables and fruit in central CA, as gardeners in the big cities, and as construction laborers throughout the state. Sure, illegals don’t pay much in taxes. But I am sick and tire of hearing people complain about them as though they were freeloaders. These people work HARD and serve many useful purposes in our society. We would be much worse off without illegal aliens. MUCH worse off.
Maybe is is about time to find out how 'badly' that California (or any other state) needs those illegal alien losers. Somehow; I feel that this country will not only survive but will be better off sans them

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
They have to pay for care...In fact some people raised money by selling tamales...as illustrated in this post in 2007 on this exact forum.

In fact you commented on this post. Free treatment for $18,000? I don't think so...
Dude! They don't pay for the care they receive! They weren't paying when they had anchor babies at Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston back in the 80's and they don't pay now. How do you think we end up with these huge budget shortfalls in hospitals and closed ERs? They walk away from their medical bills. Since they have no SS# and can easily purchase a new identity for a couple hundred bucks, how are we supposed to track them down and make them pay? They probably wouldn't pay even if we did. Did you read my previous post? Don't you recall multiple liver transplant recipient Ana Puente saying we should have to take care of her 4ever because she has been here since she was a baby?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Good Lord, $18,000 is chump change for some of these individuals.

Quote:
Univeristy Medical Center suggested the parents take his boy to Hermosillo, Mexico for care.

The father says he earns more money here. In Hermosillo he has no job and nowhere to live with family.

The cost of treatment in Hermosillo is $9 thousand up front.

The staff here at University Medical Center stabilized the boy. During the two weeks he spent in their care, he received four doses of chemotherapy.
Clearly, he can receive the appropriate treatment in Hermosillo or the MDs would not have recommended transfer, so off to Hermosillo he should go. I do not care if padre can make more money working here. He is not even supposed to be here in the first place. The family needs to return home and work out a plan with the Mexican government and the hospital in Hermosillo so the boy's treatment can begin. He is a Mexican citizen, his care is the responsibility of the country of Mexico. He has already been given two weeks of care and four doses of chemo here in the US, we have done enough.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Dude! They don't pay for the care they receive! They weren't paying when they had anchor babies at Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston back in the 80's and they don't pay now. How do you think we end up with these huge budget shortfalls in hospitals and closed ERs? They walk away from their medical bills. Since they have no SS# and can easily purchase a new identity for a couple hundred bucks, how are we supposed to track them down and make them pay? They probably wouldn't pay even if we did. Did you read my previous post? Don't you recall multiple liver transplant recipient Ana Puente saying we should have to take care of her 4ever because she has been here since she was a baby?
Yet in the article I posted from this forum these people were fundraising for free cancer treatment? So am I missing something? If they were fundraising to gain money for treatment I'm inclined to believe that they were billed and intended to pay. That's the only logical assumption.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:

That's right. Here is my post.

Quote:
Quote:
The treatment the child needs is chemotherapy. The hospital in Hermosillo seems to be a good one. It was built and is run by IHC based in Dallas.

Exporting health care: A US health care CEO ups the ante for quality medical services by building hospitals in Mexico and Costa Rica. Next stop: Brasilia | Latin CEO: Executive Strategies for the Americas | Find Articles at BNET

On an ex-pats forum the Hospital was described as having the best cancer care in northern Mexico. It sounds to me like he should be able to receive more than adequate care in his home country. Plus his doctors there can keep in touch with the people who treated him in the US.

Note the reasons the father gives for not returning to Mexico for care. Why didn't he call the Mexican Consulate, explain his situation to them and ask for help instead of contacting a TV reporter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.