Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times

Advertisements

Let’s face it. Most illegals come here to work. And they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling. We have whole industries based on the labor of illegal aliens. Think of all the work illegal aliens do hand-picking vegetables and fruit in central CA, as gardeners in the big cities, and as construction laborers throughout the state. Sure, illegals don’t pay much in taxes. But I am sick and tire of hearing people complain about them as though they were freeloaders. These people work HARD and serve many useful purposes in our society. We would be much worse off without illegal aliens. MUCH worse off.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I am a liberal democrat who totally and utterly disagrees with your statement.

We would not be worse off without illegal aliens-we are worse off BECAUSE they break our immigration laws, suck resources from the system, overcrowd our schools and make a mockery of the notion of assimilation. I've found they don't come here to become Americans, but rather to turn America into a replica of their third world homelands.

I understand their wanting to be here-but there's a process that they must go through to get here. People wait up to ten years just to come here--what entitles them the right to cut in line and break our laws?? They arent the only people who are hungry and poor. They arent the only ones who want a better life for their children.

Heck does that mean I can rob a bank and then say, well I was hungry?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am a liberal democrat who totally and utterly disagrees with your statement.

We would not be worse off without illegal aliens-we are worse off BECAUSE they break our immigration laws, suck resources from the system, overcrowd our schools and make a mockery of the notion of assimilation. I've found they don't come here to become Americans, but rather to turn America into a replica of their third world homelands.

I understand their wanting to be here-but there's a process that they must go through to get here. People wait up to ten years just to come here--what entitles them the right to cut in line and break our laws?? They arent the only people who are hungry and poor. They arent the only ones who want a better life for their children.

Heck does that mean I can rob a bank and then say, well I was hungry?
But the reason we enjoy the fruits of their cheap labor is *because* they break immigration laws. If we had to wait years for them to wade through our immigration process before relying on them to pick fruit/mow lawns/build your patio deck, then their wages would be much higher.

The cheap labor provided by illegals contributes toward a better life for your children and their children.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Let’s face it. Most illegals come here to work. And they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling. We have whole industries based on the labor of illegal aliens. Think of all the work illegal aliens do hand-picking vegetables and fruit in central CA, as gardeners in the big cities, and as construction laborers throughout the state. Sure, illegals don’t pay much in taxes. But I am sick and tire of hearing people complain about them as though they were freeloaders. These people work HARD and serve many useful purposes in our society. We would be much worse off without illegal aliens. MUCH worse off.
Please discuss immigration issues in the political forum

Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
But the reason we enjoy the fruits of their cheap labor is *because* they break immigration laws.
We can issue seasonal work visas to those who want to come here and pick our fruits. Once they are finished-they go home.

Quote:
The cheap labor provided by illegals contributes toward a better life for your children and their children.
That really doesnt address anything I said at all.

If robbing a bank is a means to providing a better life for my children-does that mean its okay?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is specific to California. Other states do not necessary benefit in the same way, or as much, as California.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
This is specific to California. Other states do not necessary benefit in the same way, or as much, as California.
Or suffer as much as California.

Look, I am the biggest bragger about diversity and immigrants--just read my posts, the more the merrier I say. But this particular group is bypassing our laws to come here for no other reason than they can.

That's insulting to us and throws our kindness back in our faces.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
We can issue seasonal work visas to those who want to come here and pick our fruits. Once they are finished-they go home.
Many fruit pickers do go home. The ones that stay generally take on some other low paying job that would be hard to fill if it weren't for illegal aliens.

Quote:
That really doesnt address anything I said at all.

If robbing a bank is a means to providing a better life for my children-does that mean its okay?
What does robbing a bank have to do with this topic? Does anyone benefit from the bank robbery, other than bank robbers? Fruit pickers/construction laborers/gardners all provide valuable services.

If you are going to argue with an analogy at least pick a good one.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Many fruit pickers do go home. The ones that stay generally take on some other low paying job that would be hard to fill if it weren't for illegal aliens.
If they can get visas extended for those kinds of jobs-I wouldnt be opposed.

Quote:
What does robbing a bank have to do with this topic? Does anyone benefit from the bank robbery, other than bank robbers? Fruit pickers/construction laborers/gardners all provide valuable services.
Okay, then let me rephrase the queston:

Is it okay to break the law to provide a better life for my family?

Quote:
If you are going to argue with an analogy at least pick a good one.
Are you saying that some laws are okay to break?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I am sick and tired of two things.
1) Prissy teenagers (and their helicopter parents) who refuse to work once they are eligable for a work permit, or, if they do work, only go for wuss jobs like working down at the mall. Not all that long ago (30 years ago) teenagers did jobs that they, as Americans, loved to do. Why did they love such manual labor? Firstly, it's a great way to burn off all that natural youthful energy. Secondly, it's a great way to be able to start saving for college in order to avoid being in debt or overly dependent on Mom and Dad.
2) I am sick of employers who seem to have forgotten all the benefits of employing teen agers (as well as older folks who need money urgently) who actually speak English and, who actually steer their earnings into the immediate local community and revenue collections. As well, today's teen worker is tomorrow's adult leader. What a win - win situation. Local revenue streams, leadership, work ethic, great customer relations, too many to count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration